SH Spotlight The Nat King Cole Trio AFTER MIDNIGHT AP 45 RPM 3 disk vinyl set still in stock at Acoustic Sounds!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Different, yes. Different tapes, different mastering style. Would Joe Public be able to hear the difference or care? Don't know, probably not. But if you love this album like I do, get the new SACD or 45 cut. It will rock your world.:)

CBackley likes this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Steve... can you explain that. Does it mean Pure Pleasure didn't used the original tapes for the Nat King Cole release?

3. Steve Hoffman

Session tapes, master tapes. I've explained this many times already!

LP master is legit, just worn out and possibly EQ'd for ease of record cutting. Session reels were straight from the studio, uncut, unplayed, stored (hopefully) for years as backup but actually first generation.

Jarleboy and CBackley like this.
  4. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Here are the dates of the seven releases...

1956 After Midnight
    1957 Love Is The Thing
    1957 Just One Of Those Things
    1958 St. Louis Blues
    1958 The Very Thought Of You
    1961 The Nat King Cole Story
    1962 Where Did Everyone Go?

These titles were carefully selected.

Perhaps it's not realistic to hope for more, but....even though his life was cut tragically short, Nat King Cole recording career stretched from 1936 to 1964, with well over a thousand tracks, instrumental and vocal. Maybe, just maybe, it's possible for a few more at some point down the line to continue to "broaden appreciation of Cole's catalog," as Jordan says.

I know I've already campaigned a little for this before, but other titles to consider might include

1958 Welcome to the Club
    1960 Live at the Sands
    1960 The Touch of Your Lips
    1961 Let's Face the Music and Dance
    1961 Nat King Cole Sings/George Shearing Plays

As you can see by the dates though, these stay within roughly the same period as the other releases that have gotten the deluxe treatment--the late 50s to early 60s.

I think it'd be great--and I know I'm almost certainly dreaming--to stretch out beyond that. This is esp. true because the Capitol release 7 years ago of the 4 CD 100 track set "Nat King Cole: The Classic Singles" has really pretty poor sound quality. Some people have used stronger words than poor. Even some die-hard Nat King Cole fans have just refused to have this in their collection.

And The Nat King Cole Story, even in the expanded edition coming out in a few months, has only 38 tracks, out of a career that had more than 1000. It would be quite possible to pick another 40, 50, or 100 tracks even of equal quality to that found on Story. Some of these tracks could, and again I realize I'm almost certainly dreaming, go back to the very early stuff before magnetic tape. The one track from this era that SH mastered many years ago, "You Call it Madness (But I Call it Love)," from c. 1945 sounds amazing....So, maybe a Story volume 2??

Just a dream, I realize....

5. A "Live at the Sands" 45rpm would get my dollar.(if all the Forum Caveats are in place).

6. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

This should be a great SACD! It's on my list!

When did Steve do that one? Was that released on CD? :confused:

7. benjaminhuf

Yes, it's on the DCC greatest hits from about a dozen years ago. It'd be interesting to see if he's willing to share any thoughts of what it was like to deal with the metal (?) master for that...

Sounds quality on that seems, to my ears, better than any of the tracks from that era on the Mosaic set...

In that era of the King Cole Trio the music was more jazzy and less poppy. I like both, but there's some clear quality to those early tracks. Some have, I think, glass masters...

8. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

Nat's "The Magic Of Christmas" (which would have to include, as a bonus track, the stereo version of "The Christmas Song") would be at the very top of my wish list for 45rpm LPs and SACDs.

Unfortunately, this is probably the Cole album LEAST likely to get the deluxe treatment since Capitol might be inclined to think it would cannibalize sales of their standard-edition CD, which is a perennial seller. I don't think that would actually happen since these $35 SACDs and $50 LPs are not aimed at the casual buyer... Anyway, "The Magic Of Christmas" is my "dream" SACD...

Attached Files:

9. benjaminhuf

Clark: Wow. Love that mock up! I would enjoy this too on sacd.

10. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

My sets are in more or less mint condition. I bought them from an old fellow who transferred them to tape when they were new, so they were played only once. The sound is pretty good. I usually bump a record out of my collection when I find a pressing (of the same title) that bests it. These have stayed through a number of attempts to oust them. I think I like the mono mixes, that's why they have stayed and the S&P title (Love is the Thing?) didn't stay. I'll put them up against the AP versions when I take delivery.

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, do you know why they dubbed the session tapes to create a "master" for this album, instead of using them as the master like was usually done with the "live" mono recordings/mixes? Was it because of them being too dynamic for the time considering the typically bad playback equipment, and they dubbed them with a compressor or limiter (instead of having to always do this in mastering)? Did having so many extra songs have any influence?

12. Steve Hoffman

When they were recording, they were accumulating reel after reel of OK'd songs. Usually at that time at Capitol a safety dub was immediately made of any master take of anything and stored on a "Phono reel" if the songs were done for an album while the original was cut onto the album reel. If they were singles, the masters were stored on Phono reels and so were the copies, marked as such. I think by the time the project was over there was some bewilderment as to what was what because of the number of songs and length of the sessions. It was easier for the engineer and A&R man to go to the Phono reels and redub some safeties for LP cutting than to WADE BACK THROUGH THE UNEDITED SESSION REELS. So, that's what they did. I don't think they reduced any dynamics but after two dubs it happened naturally. Who knew the thing was going to be such a big hit?

So, the LP master is really a dub of the safety dubs from the phono reels and the original session tape (actually recorded on by the engineer) lay dormant but protected by Lee's orange grease marker on the tape legends warning not to destroy. They sat, protected but forgotten throughout the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and up until the modern era. We found one (the reel that had the approved take of CANDY on it) but it was a struggle to find the rest because they were unmarked in inventory but we figured they existed, just a few matrix numbers apart. It took weeks for us to find all of those. I didn't want to use the Phono reels dubs of the rest of the missing songs like everyone else so I'm glad we found the rest. Almost drove the poor Capitol people to drink but they did it for us. A proud project for all concerned.

Make sense?

By the way, there are many more outtakes (alternate performances) from the AFTER MIDNIGHT sessions and I dutifully played them all. Lee picked the best takes to be marked as masters. The alternates are interesting but imperfect in some way, mostly a wrong musical note or something or a crackle of the guitar amp, etc. Nothing major. Trust me, a bunch of lukewarm alternate takes of a famous album can really dilute the power and impact of the original album so I tend to stay away from them. There are enough unissued alternates of NAT KING COLE at Capitol to create a box set! Wouldn't be too interesting though. Makes one long for the approved take.

In the case of the alternate version of JUST YOU, JUST ME I included on our new 45 RPM three-LP set and our new SACD/CD, it was a really happy, swinging take and has a great, lost piano solo from Nat, so even though they don't have all their musical moves down yet, it's on there. You'll love it.

Ere and CBackley like this.
  13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Makes sense. Great info, thanks Steve.

Using copies back then worked out for the best now - it helped keep the real masters pristine.

14. Steve Hoffman

True that.

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Despite the fact that I, personally, would love to hear alternate after alternate, and am certainly grateful for the few that you choose to include, I have no doubt that you are correct in saying that it would dilute the impact of the original album.

Steve: Considering all the Cole session reels you've listened to, would you say that the common perception of Nat not really being involved with how the arrangements took shape, orchestrally-speaking, is accurate? I'm sure he was much different in this respect than Sinatra, but was he as hands off as perhaps some have suggested?

Thanks.

16. Steve Hoffman

I don't think he was about to step on the toes of the arranger. He was too diplomatic for that. But he did make suggestions about "fixing" a passage to make it more succinct or easier to sing in front of. He was more willing to sit in the studio and rehearse or discuss than Frank Sinatra was but they were very different people.

I think the key here (and tell me if you agree, Jordan) is that Nat Cole implicitly trusted his producer Lee Gillette with all things musical. If Lee thought it was working, who was Nat to argue? Doesn't mean he was "checked out" at sessions, Nat was always making interesting comments and willing to try any approach. I love that guy.

17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I think Nat Cole was by nature a very humble guy. But I also tend to think that he was well aware of how innately gifted he was musically. No doubt about that in my mind. That certainly could have manifested itself in the studio in ways other than it did, but his naturally even temperament - his diplomacy - I think prevented his sessions, and his relationships with his arrangers, from being more contentious than they might otherwise have been. Ralph Carmichael, his arranger from 1960-1964, summed Nat up this way:

As far as Gillette goes, I think he's one of the truly unsung heroes of Nat Cole's career, and according to David Axelrod the "greatest producer who ever lived."

Jarleboy and Ere like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

I agree about Lee Gillette. After listening to hours upon hours of Lee on the talk-back mic, I would have loved to be able to meet him. A true Music Maven.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Although I have a grey label copy of this album I find myself getting excited about this reissue. Is there much difference between the lps and the SACD?

20. Steve Hoffman

Not really, exact same songs, same pristine full-bandwidth feed. What is better quality in your system, the turntable/cart/phono stage or your SACD/CD player? If you favor one over the other, there is your answer.

21. Steve Hoffman

Thinking about it some more, I would go with the 45 RPM version. Probably a much more collectible item (even if you don't care about such things). Not very many will be sold and it's pure analog.

22. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Do you think Chad will put out a 45 box eventually? I'm a vinyl guy but I'm going for the SACD's now for the mono mixes and also conservative funds. If a box of the 45's come out down the road I may go for that and if not then I'll do my best to get the 45's (tight funds now).

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That would be my normal inclination. I could always make a cdr of the vinyl which is something I've been doing with the Music Matters BN records. There are times when I don't want to be bothered with flipping records every ten minutes. I can't cook and listen to these 45's at the same time so if I want to hear the music it's nice to have that option.

CBackley likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

He's not allowed to put out a "box set" but once everything is out he will probably sell a box to put the albums or SACDs in. Makes sense?

25. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Thanks! Makes perfect sense. I'm tempted to get some of the 45's now but will have to wait for down the road. Acting is going well but I need to hold onto what I earn in case there are some slow months. Pay my rent/bills or get 45's. A few years ago I would have done the latter but that's what helped lead me off onto the wrong road. I also miss getting the Blue Notes but must resist...... :)