SH Spotlight The Nat King Cole Trio AFTER MIDNIGHT AP 45 RPM 3 disk vinyl set still in stock at Acoustic Sounds!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

A beauty of a piano. That thing is kept in perfect tune (duh).

Once I was in that darkened studio around midnight (eating a snack in the corner) and I could swear I felt Nat sitting at the piano. Sorta freaky but on the other hand, I felt pretty good in there. I was working on the Peggy Lee remixes at the time and (even though I'm not a Ghost person) I could sense that the spirits of Nat, Dean, Frank, Peggy, etc. liked to hang around there. After all, it was their second home.

hiterss, Ere, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

AFTER MIDNIGHT

Just listened to the vinyl tonight. This could be my favorite album of all time. Just classic, brilliant musicianship and vocals. What an amazing recording!

3. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Listening to side 1, 'Sweet Lorraine' and what a nice, relaxed but confident take.
    How lovely is this little corner of heaven.... and so nice to be there with Nat and friends.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I am so beguiled by the first two releases, I had to pick up St. Louis Blues, Just One of Those Things and After Midnight, which I am spinning right now. I have had the PP, which is great, but this 45 takes it to a whole new level. Being way too simplistic here, but let me say that window into the recording has not only been wiped squeeky clean, but that window has been kicked clear out of the frame, and is now laying in the front yard. Bravo!

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

If you go to Mike's, beware of glass on the way to the door. ;)

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Steve,

I live not far from the Tower and still look at it awe when I pass by. I have often wondered what a quiet midnight in that studio would be like. And they drug poor ol' Frank back in there to record his last stuff when he wasn't too sure of things...you KNOW his spirit is hanging around there.:agree:

CBackley likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Paul,

That's right, you live and work in Hollywood. Yeah, it was weird at Midnight at the Tower. There was no evening session there and except for the three of us (and the all night "emergency studio gear breakdown technician" in his little cubby hole) the place was deserted except for the two guards. All the lights are off or down low.

It was pretty ghostly in a neat sort of way there...

CBackley likes this.
  8. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

:laugh::laugh:

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

...watch out for flying glass...

10. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:laugh: :cheers:

11. If you want NKC singing right in front of you while playing piano, this is the one to get. Steve, et al, nailed the piano and guitar, but the vocals are the prize. I have the 33 1/3 and the 45rpm is a very noticeable improvement.(and the 33 1/3 was not shabby!)

12. Nat's vocal on "Sweet Lorraine" for this album is, IMO, the definitive recorded performance of his career, falling between the schoolboy innocence of his original Trio single and the much more self-aware Nat who redid the song in stereo for the "Cole Story" collection. If the AP remaster is anywhere near as good as I've been hearing at the Forum, it's a no-brainer purchase in both formats, 45 RPM LP and SACD! Thanks, Steve, Kevin and Chad for making this Coleaholic a happy camper!:love::wave:

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

Ya nailed this one Steve. Amazing. I have every version of this album including Capitol original issues. This one beats them all easily. Congrats!

14. Steve Hoffman

Thanks. A labor of love.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The PP sounds fantastic, but like all you other suckers:laugh: I went ahead and bought the new 45. I have all the other AP Coles, so why not? The idea that this could be rung up another few notches was way too tempting. Let's face it...ya just can't have enough Nat. One of those cats that I can play endlessly and my wife comes in and remarks how great the music sounds. It's timeless feel good music, and it only gets better every time Steve puts his magic touch to it, for which I thank him.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious as to why the rainbow label was used rather than the original grey? Was it to differentiate between the PP?

17. Steve Hoffman

Beats me.

18. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

19. Steve Hoffman

That was great, thanks.

20. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

21. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I'd had Capitol's "Complete After Midnight Sessions",and it blew me away...I gotta grab me a copy of this,if this is any indications of how good this version is! THANX,STEVE!:righton:

22. I had that, and you will sell it too.

:wave:

23. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

It’s definitely rocking my world since picking it up from AS. Only had it a couple days & it’s been spinning in rotation with the other NKC releases. Just superb and a mindblower when you realize it was initially recorded over 50 years ago. You’d never know it.

The music & singing is so beautiful. Thanks to all involved in these reissues -- pure perfection.

Bob

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well i was all set to get the 33 1/3 version since its half the price of the 45rpm. Don't get me wrong I have no problem paying that sort of cash for an lp usually but these days I need to cut back...

Will I really be missing out badly if I go with the 33 1/3?? It's my first Nat purchase (been on my need to buy something list for awhile and I heard some tracks from this lp as mp3s and they all sounded nice, nice as in great music not nice as in the sound of the mp3 was great).

Boy I don't want to open up a can of worms but I would appreciate some opinions. It seems that a lot of people like the 33 1/3 release as well so maybe I'll still be doing good with that eh?

Eddie

25. Steve Hoffman

Heh, what part of "It will rock your world" do you not understand?