SH Spotlight The Nat King Cole Trio AFTER MIDNIGHT AP 45 RPM 3 disk vinyl set still in stock at Acoustic Sounds!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Since getting the 45 rpm in June, I also came across a nice clean 12 o'clock rainbow and the Larry Walsh complete AFTER MIDNIGHT sessions cd.

Sound quality comparisons aside, this album is really growing on me. Love the extended piano solos from Nat and the legs these performances have.

Tonight, spinning side 2 of the AP 45, my three year old son just started movin' and groovin' to 'Caravan' dipping his shoulders up and down on every chorus. :)

McLover likes this.
  2. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

My copy SACD copy should be here in a couple days. Really looking forward to this one.

I noticed that the alternate take of "You're Looking at Me" is not included here. Was this left off for lack of space?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Fair question. I could not find the master reel at Capitol after months of looking. Only a digital EQ dub. Urggh. I am convinced that the song came from outside the company.

However, I made up for it by unearthing the alternate performance of JUST YOU, JUST ME.

4. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

A shame. I love that song. Actually, I do feel that the album version is best version of the two. Looking forward to hearing the alt. version of Just You, Just Me, too.

I'm a bit confused, though. What do you mean it came from outside the company? You think that the alternate version was recorded at an outside studio?

5. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

From Roy Holmes' newsletter, several years ago:

6. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I took a listen to the Mosaic version and it is, indeed, the alternate version, so now I'm more confused. If Cuscuna found only the alternate version and Steve found only the album version, I would think that they would both be in the vault somewhere. Sorry for being obtuse, guys. Just trying to make heads or tails out of this.

7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

What Cuscuna probably worked from was the same EQ dub that Steve chose to avoid.

8. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I suppose that makes sense.

Thanks.

9. Free Bird

Free Bird Member

When I listen to the last two tracks (the "bonus bonus tracks", so to speak) I can hear pops in between the takes. Are these splices or is it the recording tape deck being paused and turned back on? Or is this something else entirely?

10. Free Bird

Free Bird Member

One more thing... It appears the left and right channel aren't digitally identical, at least on the CD layer. Were they supposed to be?

11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

My Christmas present: Nat "King" Cole "After Midnight" 45 RPM vinyl set!

I received this 3 lp 45 rpm pressing for Christmas, and want to say what a fantastic job Steve and Kevin did with this release.

Wow, is Nat in the room with me! So clear with presence galore. People, this MONO recording was made in 1956. What the heck? It is quite clear that, for the most part, recording technology has declined since the late 50s. Why don't modern recording engineers LISTEN to these old sessions, like Sonny Rollins "Way Out West, Nat King Cole, etc., to hear just how good it was way back when?

It just makes a person want to shake his or her head in disbelief at sounds obtained over 50 years ago.

Thumbs up for Steve and Kevin!:edthumbs:

McLover, CBackley and Man at C&A like this.
  12. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's such a fabulous recording restored through a proper mastering. It still sounds great squashed to 192kbs on my iPod Shuffle. “After Midnight” was my workout music yesterday at the gym, it was a great workout.

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Any others out there that have the 45 rpm pressing? What are you thoughts?

14. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I bought this upon release and at the time only had only original copies of some NKC in mediocre condition, and owned no 45 rpm or DCC copies. I will say that after going on a real binge the last three years on Rhino/WB reissues, Mobile Fidelity reissues, Music Matters and Analogue Productions 45rpm series, and a glut of original first-pressings, this set is maybe my most prized purchase. All around sound quality and music, it's one of my absolute "desert island" listening experiences! Enjoy such an excellent gift!

15. berndt

berndt Forum Resident

Have my fathers copy of the original lp and the 45 reissue.
    The 45 is staggering.

16. Steve Hoffman

That's a nice Christmas gift.

Enjoy!

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

A tune from AFTER MIDNIGHT has been included in the 2010 new version of the set Jazz: the Smithsonian Anthology. It is When I Grow Too Old To Dream.

Don't miss the jazz interplay between Nat King Cole and Stuff Smith on this album.

Of course, the Analogue Productions Vinyl and CD/SACD are the best versions to hear.:thumbsup:

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Great song, great version. Nat and electric violin. Amazing duo.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. The entire album is a sublime listening experience, thanks to Nat and his friends and the beautiful mastering by you and Kevin, Steve.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

While none of the album is extremely challenging jazz, there is such a nice, relaxed sense of swing, and the sound is astounding, at least on the 45rpm set. I was surprised at how good even the original LP sounds, but the 45rpm is SO vivid.

21. Steve Hoffman

Well, it's not Miles Davis, no. It's (what I sometimes call) Mom & Pop Jazz. Something that a child of the Swing Era could still relate to in the 1950's.

Perfect for Nat though, anything else would seem like slumming..

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

After noticing Steve's advice on this in another thread, I picked up the SACD. It's not that easy to find.

But just let me add my voice to the chorus of 'Thanks' for this record, in this form, in this quality presentation.

Seriously, if you don't have it, get it. It's freaking wonderful.

CBackley likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The original LP is really fine, but the 45rpm really takes the presence and tonality to another level.

24. Steve Hoffman

Every time I hear a song on here now with Stuff Smith I think of this great photo. Dig Stuff's fiddle amp and that old RCA ribbon mic to capture it and some live violin sound at the same time. Nat's favorite Neumann microphone in the foreground. John Kraus and Lee Gillette knew what they were doing.. I've played that same piano many times, wonderful tone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    crooner, coleman and MMM like this.
  25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't expect Nat and "Stuff" to be so close to each other in the room!