The new Bear Family Killer Box Set!! The LOUISIANA HAYRIDE as it truly happened! Live recordings!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terje Morewood, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

Oldies.com has a set for $188. They used to have 2.:)

Jimijam likes this.
  2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

They used to have 2.
    What does that mean?
    Beave

3. keithdylan

It means I got the other one.

EddieMann likes this.
  4. The Beave

Good price!
    Happy New year!
    Beave

Jimijam likes this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Unfortunately - I think anyone who orders this should take pictures of the shipping box as it you received it, and take pictures of the unboxing.

hotshotskings and Jimijam like this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s a bit weird this thread has turned into a complaining centre about broken packages. I surely understand the pain gettin a broken set but shouldn. we discuss sone of the amazing music this set contains

Terje Morewood likes this.
  7. The Beave

Lol! I didn't even focus on the word 'set'! Shows. You what kind of Christmas season it was around here!

I must also give a big D THANK YOU to member darling for extending my Holidays with the Big D box!

It's a Bear Family New Year for the Beave.

One more thing, I understand the frustration with damaged boxes, had enough of them come to me in the past. Don't hesitate to contact Amazon and firmly but politely say that this is 'unacceptable'. LET Them offer something to you. In most cases with me, it was a second box that almost always was now sipped priority by them to me, and keep the original box. In the few instances where this did not happen, I took the original to the UPS Store. And had them send it back overseas, took a tablet photo o f the UPS receipt and immediately sent them that photo with
    My ORIGINAL email to them. Always a h astgot a refund on my cc within 5 hours.
    I know that it's a hassle, but the last scenario has only happened twice in over 9 years of doing Amazon. A n d I have gotten so m e free Stones and Beatles boxes, which have made for nice Christmas presents in the past! :righton:.

Now let's get back to the music!

Anyone care to give us technical or historical thoughts on CD 1??
    Let's start there and take a Cd volume a week.
    I'm a total novice when it comes to Americana Country, Rock, Hillbilly, music, being mostly a second generation British Rock fan.
    But I have always liked Hank Williams, his music does make a con n section with me, just like the Stones did back when I first discovered them.
    So now I've got THIS new world sitting in front of me.

One last thing, since sets like this are in fact historical in nature, I'm ALWAYS fascinated by the technical details of putting something like this out, so if your in the know with remastering details and the like, please share them.
    Have a great weekend!

Beave

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Terje Morewood likes this.
  8. Terje Morewood

Terje Morewood Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agreed.. i posted this tread about the great news of the release of this box set.... and it tourned out to be the packaging that people is concerned about.. not many comments about the music or the box

Bemagnus likes this.
  9. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Holy crap, I had no idea this set was coming out (don't follow Bear)! I'm a budding fan of this period of country and of Hank Williams, and I lived in Shreveport for 2 years so I heard plenty of people brag about the Elvis connection.

Wish I could afford this right now, and I also wish you guys got better condition boxes! What's the best deal out there right now?

10. The Beave

Unfortunately, I think that the initial excitement for the box was damaged by the delay of months for a lot of folks and THEN damaged boxes being delivered. And around Christmas time the mood died. Bummer, but I tried a few posts ago but nobody responded to it so we'll just have to accept it just as it is.
    Beave

11. The Beave

On Amazon.de delivered its $175, which is really not bad at all.
    Beave

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to listen to the music yet as I'm still finishing up some other Bear box sets such as the Atomic Platters and Songs of the Depression boxes. (hopefully soon!)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

throw a disc on. its fun in batches, like old time radio. just listen to a show or two, then something else

14. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

My box set had broken corners and other damage. Oh well, I try not to fret about that kind of thing too much anymore. I got this magical set for such a deal. Just listened to to the first disc...wow, just wow. Ends with a great version of Rose Marie by Slim Whitman. Sounds sooo good!!

John Rhett Thomas and The Beave like this.
  15. hotshotskings

I just finished listening to Disc 1 as I worked on the following:
    [​IMG]

All songs were amazing as expected but the following tracks were my favorites (listened to each 2 or 3 times!)

16. Freight Train Blues by Buddy Attaway
    18. Hayride Boogie by Tillman Franks (Webb Pierce)
    24. Indian Love Call by Slim Whitman
    25. Mexican Joe by Jim Reeves
    26. Caribbean by Mitchell Torok
    28. Looking Back To See by The Browns

16. hotshotskings

Disc's 2 Track 16 "Game for audience members – Beat The Band" is worth the price of the whole box set. The host's comments are hilarious!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  17. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

So funny how things happen. I hadn’t really ever heard of The Louisiana Hayride before the Bear Set was announced. But because of the artists listed and my history of knowing Bear is a killer label, I ordered it.

I picked up the Elvis Presley Boy From Tupelo set a week or so after ordering the L. H. and there in the gatefold is a pic of Elvis at the Hayride. The liner notes of the Elvis Presley set said that the music on that three disc set takes you right up to when he performed at the Louisiana Hayride. And then he was on to bigger things.

Then fast forward to last week, and I’m watching the three hour documentary on the band The Eagles on Netflix. In the first 20 minutes Don Henley says that as a kid he listened to the Louisiana Hayride on the radio. And that that was where he heard a lot of his most influential music.

So in the past few months, the Louisiana Hayride has come up in multiple areas. The stars must be in alignment.

Anyway, I think the set is absolutely fantastic, and I love all the talking and banter. Haven’t had a better box set in years.

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I agree with those who states that all the jokes, banter and similar stuff is both hilarious and historically interesting. Really like a time capsule . Since I v been on holiday I had limited time to absorb the music but what I have heard so far is totally great

19. keithdylan

Just got a shipping notice from Oldies.com. Can't wait. Reading all the reactions to the set have me wondering how I can quickly carve out time to listen to it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

The post office truck just pulled up and delivered my box set from jpc.de
    This the first time I have ordered from them. I would normally order from amazon.uk depending on availability.
    With all the complaints about damaged box sets from amazon.uk, I did not want to take a chance on this expensive box set.
    My box came in a box inside another box with those popcorn type shipping material. I'm very happy to say that my box set
    is in perfect condition. I would not hesitate ordering from them again, happy camper here. :D

21. keithdylan

Just got my shipment from Oldies.com. Packed wonderfully. Just looking at the packaging I feel I stole it for $188 including shipping. Now if the world would go away for 25 hours........

BTW, don't know if this set is eligible, but if it doesn't win a packaging Grammy, there is no justice.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  22. The Beave

Just received mine from PSBorg in Germany, the one that went for $162 on Amazon. Took awhile but no damage at all!
    Beave

Mr. Explorer and Ben in Colorado like this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Some nice Rockin guitar from-well 1951

24. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I want the number of Noreen Wilkerson from Deadwood, Texas. She sounds like my kind of girl!

skydropco and Bemagnus like this.
  25. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I've listened to the first two discs of this set four times each and I'm just over the moon about how great a listening experience it is. Very grateful I got in on this set at the steal of a price, but it's worth three-fold that amount easy. Maybe more once I get deeper into this.

Mr. Explorer, skydropco and Bemagnus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.