The new DVD of ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by therockman, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

So I went out and bought the new version of ALICE IN WONDERLAND on DVD. It is now a 2 disk set with THX 5.1 surround sound. This is the 4th copy I have; 2 laserdiscs and 2 DVDs. The first laserdisk I bought was good, it was CLV, then it came out in a boxset of CAV disks, which of course I had to buy. I have the old DVD called the Gold Collection version, which was 5.0 surround sound. Now this new version is from the Masterpiece Collection. But it is great, the picture is much more vibrant than the old DVD, although the CAV laserdisk really competes for shere vibrancy. The sound on this new THX version is, of course, a lot more vibrant than previous versions. But, if they ever come out with a high definition Ultimate Edition, I will buy that one and junk all the others.

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I picked this up too. The picture is quite a bit clearer and more colorful than the previous version. This one also comes with the original theatrical mono soundtrack.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

At only $17.10 at WalMart, its a steal! :D

4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I'm getting it. Because I never "got" Alice in Wonderland when I was a kid...

5. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

It's only $14.50 at my Wal Mart. Things always seem lower at this store - must be a small town thing.

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Sounds like I need to pick this up. I have the Masterpiece Collection laserdisc and think it's excellent. Does the DVD have all of the bonus features the LD box had?

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Re: Re: The new DVD of ALICE IN WONDERLAND

No, some of the stuff is not there. I don't think they reproduce all of the still frame extras, and I don't think the BBC radio program audio supplements are there. They also don't seem to have the isolated music and effects track. There's probably more, but the DVD seems to have most of the best stuff.

Regards,

8. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I wonder if Grace Slick will get it.

"Feed your head"

9. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

There is still probably at least one competitor hanging on for dear life. Once they are all gone, your WM will jack the prices just like they do everywhere else.

Wal Mart "destroying America, one town at at time"

10. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Not to thread crap...but just to speak on the Wal-Mart pricing thing-- in my area, we have 3 Wal-Marts and one of them has a different distribution warehouse serving it than the other two-- the prices vary by sometimes a dollar or two on several things.

And while I don't want this to turn into an ugly debate about whether Wal-Mart is good or bad, I'll end with this-- Sam Walton wasn't the first chain store owner who beat the competition and became huge and won't be the last. As an example, at it's peak, A & P grocery stores used to have many more locations and a larger share of the market than Wal-Mart does now.

11. therockman

I work for Wal Mart and I am ambivalent on their pricing policies and their world conquering practices.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Walmart is not the first place I shop for DVDs usually but that day I just happened to have an hour to kill and wandered in.

Saw Alice In Wonderland on sale and had to have it.

I'm glad to have a WallyWorld finally in our town.

13. therockman

Yeah, I like the prices at Wal Mart. I just wish that Wal Mart carried Audio Fidelity SACDs.

14. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

15. therockman

Thanks for that link, it really is a detailed description of the differences beween these two DVD releases.

16. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Wow - I have the PAL version of the single "Gold Collection" DVD of ALice, and I thought it was very good. It looks great on my TV, and I had wondered if they had restored the print. But seeing the comparison screen shots at DVD Beaver reveals just how much it has been improved in the new transfer. Hats off to Disney for that one. I look forward to their forthcoming "Mary Poppins" restored version.....

Gotta love that DVD Beaver site - I check it regularly. Just love those comparisons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.