The New Elvis Costello reissues -- anyone buy them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I said there'd be no way they'd convince me to buy "Goodbye Cruel World" again, given that it sucked the first two times I bought it (Columbia vinyl & Ryko CD). But they bonus CD was just sooooo compelling and the price was right ($11.88 @ Newberry Comics). (That's how they get ya, eh? Put the best bonus CDs on the sketchiest CDs).

I have to say that it's WELL WORTH OWNING now, for the bonus disc. From the demos, you can really hear, clearly, what a catasrophic production job did to a good batch of songs.

Also picked up the "Almost Blue" reissue, which also has an incredibly stuffed bonus CD. Again, even if you already have AB on CD this is pretty much a must for an Elvis fan.

I passed on Kojak Variety, though. The "Elvis as interpreter of pop songs" concept didn't really do much for me on first go-round, and the bonus disc, while quite full, is just more of the same. If someone who's heard this can make a compelling argument that I'm making a mistake, I may go back and get it for $11.88. But first someone has to make that argument. And you have to realize that I have the original CD issue of Kojak Variety (along with every other EC album) and consider it one of the very slightest of Costello's albums.

Kwad

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I have trouble imagining anyone who has all of EC's albums not enjoying the Kojak Variety bonus disc. It's really an album in its own right, since only one track is an alternate of a song on the main album. The George Jones demos (tracks 2-11) are wonderful.

3. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I have to agree. I never got it when it came out but after reading about the bonusCD in ICE, I could not pass it up. So far I am very happy with the new NEW reissues program. Now if only they would dig into the LIve vaults and give us a nice LIVE BOX set!!

4. kwadguy

So...After the 2CD reissue program is complete, my question is whether there will be anything left in the vaults, other than live stuff? Yeah, sure, a few strays here and there. But will there be anything substantial left unreleased?

And I agree that some live issues would be in order...

kwad

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

by the time the reissue program is complete, Elvis will probably have a few dozen albums that he issued while the older catalog was being re-issued!!
    In 2004 alone, there are different incarnations of hist latest effort North with it's complements of bonus tracks, a contribution (Cole Porter's Let's Misbehave) to the De-lovely soundtrack; Matter of Time on Los Lobos The Ride album; some stray tracks on the 3 Singles Collection box sets that weren't included on the Rhino's re-issues, in 2003 he dueted with Wanda Jackson on the Heart Trouble album, duet with Ricky Skaggs on his Live in London album remastered by Steve Hoffman for S&P Records; other Non-LP tracks include You Stole My Bell from The Family Man soundtrack a duet with Dan Hicks (Meet Me On The Corner) on Dan's Beatin' The Heat . I am sure there are many others.

The Delivery Man is set for release on Sept. 21, 2004
    Button My Lip
    Country Darkness
    There's A Story In Your Voice
    Either Side Of The Same Town
    Bedlam
    The Delivery Man
    Monkey To Man
    Nothing Clings Like Ivy
    The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love
    Heart Shaped Bruise
    Needle Time
    The Judgement
    The Scarlet Tide
    UK catalogue no. is MERCURY B000259302
    US catalogue no. is Lost Highway 000259302

Attached Files:

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The most notable thing still unreleased would be the Wendy James demos that did not turn up as b-sides.

7. Burningfool

Burningfool Forum Resident

And these would be most welcome.

Also in question would be the batch of King Of America demos and alternate takes that have circulated among traders for the past few years. These are great fun and would probably make for a great third (!) disc for the KOA reissue, whenever that finally happens.

These Costello reissues have really grown on me, and I am looking forward to picking up these three as well.

Chris

8. audio

audio New Member

I bought the remaster of "My Aim Is True" when it came out. An A/B comparison with the Ryko was conducted while Leppo was here. Our conclusion was that neither is better than the other. If you have the Rykodiscs, there is no reason to rush out and replace them. If you've already bought the remasters, don't worry about that either.

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I like the Rykodiscs fine, despite the frequently voiced complaints about the sound. They were such an improvement over the crammed vinyl, cassettes, and Columbia CDs I had owned that I didn't really understand the criticism.

I do prefer the Rhino format of the original album on one disc, and the bonus tracks on the other, but I have a hard time justifying the purchase of these records a third time for the sake of new bonus tracks. And the Rhino reissues haven't reached the music clubs, as far as I know.

10. kwadguy

With regard to the bonus tracks and whether they make these essential repurchases if you have the Rykos: I would say no for some of the initial batches. But I think the bonus tracks have been getting better as they've gone along. There are SO many more worthwhile bonus tracks on the latest set of reissues that I think they're worth getting just for the bonus track disc. And if you can get them for under $12 each, as I did, you can just consider it the cost of one disc.

I think My Aim is True is the worst of the Rhino reissues, as it offers very little essential material beyond what was on the Ryko.

Kwad

11. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Can't say I agree. I think all the Rhinos sound better than the Rykos to one degree or another. The biggest difference is Imperial Bedroom, but My Aim is True definately sounds preferable to the Ryko.

12. Marry a Carrot

I don't agree either. Besides, Prix's comparison would only apply to My Aim Is True.

13. audio

audio New Member

Good point. It is correct that we have reviewed only this album from the series. However, let us not loose focus of our True Aim. The fact still remains that the United Congressional Front of Leppo, Prix, and Shrive have made the final ruling on this issue. We remain steadfast in our decision until our next meeting. Do not think that we are not just. If we encounter enough opposition or contrary opinion, we will take this matter under consideration at the next listening session and again compare the discs. Both Ryko and Rhino versions sound very similar. There are subtle variations....for example the Rhino is a tad brighter. Both versions have their strengths and faults. Neither are unlistenable. Neither are phenomenal. It cannot be said that one is better than the other at this time. I'm keeping both of mine.

I would be tempted to compare other albums from Costello's brilliant discography, but since I've been so gravely disappointed with other fairly recent Rhino projects(Can anyone say "Television"?)....I'm in no hurry.

Furthermore, I believe that all of the bonus tracks on the remasters are also available on the Ryko versions if one has the entire collection. I am also under the impression that the Ryko series also offers the benefit of the additional live album, "Live At El Mocambo", as part of the "2 1/2 Years" box set. I also have no doubt that someone will correct me almost immediately if I am mistaken. Think I'll go spin "Live At El Mocambo". :wave:

14. JohnS

JohnS Forum Resident

Allow me to correct you, albeit NOT almost immediately!
    There ARE some tracks unique to the Ryko reissues which don't appear on the current Rhino remasters. I won't go into details, but just point you towards the excellent...
    http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/rhino.html

15. Marry a Carrot

There are a LOT of tracks on the Rhinos that were not available anywhere in Ryko's reissue program. The exact numbers by album:

My Aim Is True: 3
    This Years Model: 7
    Armed Forces: 9
    Get Happy: 19
    Trust: 9
    Almost Blue: 18
    Imperial Bedroom: 14
    Punch The Clock: 20
    Goodbye Cruel World: 17
    Blood & Chocolate: 11

You'll notice that My Aim Is True has far fewer new bonus tracks than the others.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

FWIW, I prefer the original Warner's Spike to the new Rhino version. So far, I seem to be alone in that view here on the forum.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

We are bound to hear a HUGE difference between the Ryko and Rhino versions of "King of America." If you've heard the original LP, you'll know how badly Ryko messed this one up.

18. markl

markl New Member

Another "vote" for the Rhinos. IMO, they righted the wrongs of the Rykos. :D

19. BZync

BZync Senior Member

"Rhino righted the wrongs of Ryko"? That's beautiful alliteration. Very poetic.

-BZync

20. Burningfool

Burningfool Forum Resident

Agreed. And the Ryko gold disc was no better.

Honestly, there is enough material from the King Of America period to fill several discs. It would be nice to have a REALLY expanded reissue!

Just dreaming on a Friday,

Chris

21. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Same exact mastering from the second generation tape.

22. kwadguy

Given that Costello was intimately involved in the Ryko reissue campaign, how is it that they used the 2nd generation tape. Twice!

Kwad

23. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I don't know the specifics of why the second generation tapes were used on the Ryko discs. It may be that they used Elvis's personal tapes, but I don't know.

As to the gold disc, it was never remastered for gold. They just used the same digital master for the gold.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

How does the Ryko compare to the Demon remaster of the same era - same master or different? I think that was the only Demon version I got since it came with a limited edition bonus live disc. Be curious to see if the new "KOA" makes that one totally obsolete...

25. claymcc

claymcc Forum Resident

Don't forget the new liner notes to nearly every album, written by Mr. Costello. They're worth the purchase price alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.