The New Elvis Costello reissues -- anyone buy them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The same.

The Ryko version had the same limited edition bonus disc.

2. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Given up on King of America. They would have done it by now... must be a master tape issue or whatever.

3. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

So to steer this thread in a very slight direction change, has anyone who got the reissues changed thier minds about any of Elvis's albums? I have found that SPIKE has become my favorite EC Album after playing this thing a dozen times or so. Almost Blue was in my top 5 but after playing this remaster/reissue it is now number 2!!!! ANy of you have a change of heart about any of the albums after spending a little time with them?

4. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Some of these reissues are, I think, unequalled in terms of how revelatory they are - I can think of no other back catalogue where so much work-in-progress material has been bundled together with the 'finished' product, AND with copious explanatory notes from the musician, to really put the albums of old in a new light. The later-period albums, where songs were reworked and recordings perhaps 'over'-produced(!?), especially benefit from this - I always liked Spike, but Mighty Like A Rose, Punch The Clock and Imperial Bedroom were all albums I never owned and had hardly listened to, but now make much more 'sense'. Although the bonus discs are still the ones I reach for most...!

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Really? So why in the world did I buy the import? Okay, you can't answer that, but looking back, I can't figure out why I'd get the import if the domestic version was the same - maybe the Demon came out earlier?

6. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I never listened much to Mighty Like A Rose. Now it's one of my faves.

7. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Yes, our results did in fact yield the above results for My Aim Is True. However, I feel that we should treat Costello Ryko/Rhino comparisons on a case by case basis. :agree:

BTW, can someone post pics of Ryko/Rhino .wav comparisons?

8. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Highly under rated album!!

9. Oatsdad

Agreed! I always like it, though. I feel "Spike" got too much positive attention - it has some great tracks but isn't a great album. "Rose" probably isn't much better, but it IS very good, and maybe I just like to root for the underdog! :D

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

THe only thing that dispointed me about the Rhino This Year's Model reissue was that they did not include both the UK and US cover art. They should have used the "offset" UK cover, and include the photo from the US back cover and inside sleeve which was differnet from the UK. I don't have the Get Happy! reissue, did RHino use the "ring wear" cover?

11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Yes, both Ryko and Rhino used the "ring wear" cover.

Joe L.

12. stereoptic

thanks Joe

13. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I remember having to look far and wide to find a copy of the Ryko KOA with the bonus disc. I finally found one, weeks after it was released, having passed over countless single disc copies. Perhaps you had the same trouble and went for the import.

Chris

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Ha...That reminds me of when the original LP came out. I was managing the record department of my school's bookstore. I ordered a few copies of UK version of Get Happy--I think it came out before the US version, though I don't recall. I ordered them from Jem Distributors. Anyway, we got them in (they came in unsealed, as most UK pressings did), I put plastic baggie covers on them, sealed them, and put them in the bins. I think I had at least half a dozen people come to me and ask how the copies of the 'New Elvis Costello' we were selling got so damaged! I even had someone drag me out of my office to prove to me that the covers were damaged (and to ask for a big discount because of that...)

Kwad

15. Oatsdad

There was no trouble involved - I never knew there WAS a 2-CD Ryko "KOA"! I'm sure I never saw that release, which is why I labored under the delusion for the last decade that the second disc was exclusive to the Demon version. That meant I never searched - I guess I just saw the Demon and bought it. Who knows - I might even have purchased the Ryko and then replaced it with the Demon later. (Which would be a replacement of a replacement - the CBS CD - of the original vinyl...)

I may need to undergo hypnotherapy to reveal the truth! :D

16. stereoptic

There also was a 2-CD Ryko Blood and Chocolate which I didn't find until months after I had bought the single disc version. I got the 2-CD King of America on the day it was released, I had my local shop hold a copy for me

17. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

The only '2-disc' version of B&C prior to the current Rhino reissue I know of was the intial run which came shrinkwrapped together with a bonus interview disc in a cardboard sleeve; called 'An Overview Disc' I think, where EC discussed the reissue programme up to then. No music on it though ... Is this what you mean?

18. stereoptic

Yes, that's the one!

19. stereoptic

Add another album to EC's 2004 releases:
    2004-09-21: Il Sogno, orchestral album with a bonus disk that will be recorded at this summer's North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam, Holland

Attached Files:

20. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Just got the Almost Blue reissue, and I give it a BIG thumbs up. The bonus disc alone is worth having, with all of those great live tracks.

And, as has been stated previously, the liner notes are great, with some touching stories about John and June Cash, among others.

This is my fourth copy of this album/CD, and it's by far my favorite.

Chris

21. stereoptic

Rhino has February 2005 for the release of King Of America, The Juliet Letters, and Taking Liberties. I don't know if Rhino will be "taking liberties" with the release of Taking Liberties. The original LP was released in the US just after Get Happy!! and it was not issued in the UK. It was a compilation of a couple of unreleased tracks, some non-LP B-sides, and exclusive soundtrack tunes. There was a similar, but different, compilation released in the UK called Ten Bloody Marys and Ten Hows Your Fathers.

1. Clean Money
    2. Girls Talk
    3. Talking In The Dark
    4. Radio Sweetheart
    5. Black And White World (demo)
    6. Big Tears
    7. Just A Memory
    8. Night Rally
    9. Stranger In The House
    10. Clowntime Is Over (version 2)
    11. Getting Mighty Crowded
    12. Hoover Factory
    13. Tiny Steps
    14. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
    15. Dr. Luther's Assistant
    16. Sunday's Best
    17. Crawling To The U.S.A.
    18. Wednesday Week
    19. My Funny Valentine [Rodgers-Hart]
    20. Ghost Train

I think that all of these have been included on the recent Rhino remasters. I wonder if this Taking Liberties would be a catch-all for these tracks, plus other tracks from the Warner Brothers era. Perhaps Rhino will include some of the surprises that were include in the Singles Box Sets but have not made an appearance on the remasters.

22. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

That's very odd. I would hope that Rhino will just use the title and cover of "Taking Liberties" and jettison the original tracks, replacing them with anything and everything that hasn't been on the rest of the series. There are a ton of tracks that haven't been used at this point: the US remix of "Alison", the live version of "Everyday I Write the Book", the entire "Live at El Mocambo" LP (the only track that's on the series so far is "Less Than Zero"), a number of remixes from the PTC 12" singles, etc., etc.

On a somewhat related note, I've noticed that the version of "Radio Sweetheart" on the MIAT reissue is quite different from the version that was previously on "Taking Liberties" and the Ryko reissue of MIAT. Does anyone know which version was used on the original "Less Than Zero" flip side?

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The version on Rhino's My Aim Is True is the original single mix. It was remixed for Taking Liberties, and that became the standard version for 21 years.

24. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Let us not forget Party Party from about 1981 or so. Cool track that just dropped off of the face of the earth.

-BZync

25. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.