"The New Linda Ronstadt Documentary Proves Just How Underrated She Is"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

not in the milieu in which i grew up. both were recognized for the massive talents they were.

whether women were afforded commensurate "pound for pound" accolades for "equal" output, as compared with their male counterparts? is another story.

we know that one. valid.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

One of my favorite cd compilations

[​IMG]

1. "You're No Good" 3:40
    2. "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" 2:20
    3. "Desperado" 3:30
    4. "Love is a Rose" 2:46
    5. "That'll Be the Day" 2:32
    6. "Long, Long Time" 4:21
    7. "Different Drum" 2:45
    8. "When Will I Be Loved" 2:05
    9. "Love Has No Pride" 4:10
    10. "Heat Wave" 2:46
    11. "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" 3:26
    12. "Tracks of My Tears" 3:12
    13. "It's So Easy" 2:26
    14. "I Can't Let Go" 2:43
    15. "Hurt So Bad" 3:12
    16. "Blue Bayou" 3:54
    17. "How Do I Make You" 2:21
    18. "Back in the U.S.A." 3:02
    19. "Ooo Baby Baby" 3:18
    20. "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" 3:41
    21. "Tumbling Dice" 3:05
    22. "Just One Look" 3:15
    23. "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me"

3. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

a desert island disc for sure.

4. Not as a song writer but certainly a much better voice.

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Underrated? She did what she did very well. At what point was she underrated? She didn't write most of her stuff? So what. Surely she's not being judged on that

starduster and Jarleboy like this.
  7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Any chance of this being issued in physical format. For that matter, are there any really good Linda concerts on DVD?

SuddenSam and Jarleboy like this.
  8. One of the most beautiful voices I've had the pleasure of hearing.

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Underrated? She was multi-platinum for the better part of a decade.

starduster, A6mzero and illwind64 like this.
  10. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Agree 100 percent here. Linda had a beautiful voice and didn't need to write her own material to be a great talent. Sinatra sang songs written by some of the greatest writers who ever lived on the planet Porter, Gershwin, Rodgers and Hart etc. He wasn't going to do any better writing songs himself and he was smart enough to stick with what he did best SING. For that matter Paul Anka wrote his material and sang his songs (which we all know Sinatra did a few). Should we consider him a greater talent than Frank for that reason? Linda concentrated on her singing which few female or male vocalists could compete with. No shame there. I don't think she was underrated as much as maybe not taken as seriously as say Streisand.

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

For what it's worth, Linda co-wrote three songs that immediately come to mind (I don't recall offhand if there are others): "Lo Siento Mi Vida", "Try Me Again" and "Winter Light". I think the three of those are pretty stellar for someone who isn't considered a songwriter. For the record, Trisha Yearwood did a powerful cover of "Try Me Again" and Sarah Brightman did a lovely version of "Winter Light".

Hep Alien and jtsjc1 like this.
  12. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Or Elvis.

13. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

Huge Linda fan here. She was underrated for a lot of reasons, and not being a writer was a primary one back in the day. BUT...she was always respected as a great singer, and interpreter. She never got the level of respect a songwriter would - but was lumped into unfair comparisons with Joni Mitchell, Laura Nyro, etc. at the time largely because they were female. Silly comparisons but back in the 70's that was the rock thing. I never got it because I've always loved female singers best.

She was hugely popular for a long time, and sold millions of records. Balance.

In the long run, I do think her work is underrated - and maybe some of that is changing with the film and recent press.

Who else can nail folk (Stone Poneys), country (first few albums), pop/rock (heyday years), standards (Nelson Riddle), mariachi...not to mention opera (La Boheme in NYC) and operetta (Pirates of Penzance)....she did it all so well with that magnificent voice. I was fortunate enough to see her perform almost all of these genres (missed the Stone Poneys era - dammit!) and she always delivered.

Great to see her getting attention in 2019, but it is crushing to know that someone so gifted can no longer sing. I hope she does not suffer much.

14. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

That is a killer compilation :)

15. eddiejinnj

eddiejinnj Well-Known Member

Hi All: Linda also co-wrote "I Want a Horse" with Wendy Waldman. It was for the Grammy winning Children's "In Harmony" record from 1980. It is pretty rocking for a kid's song!!!!! eddiejinnj

lightbulb, Hep Alien and Jarleboy like this.
  16. eddiejinnj

In terms of being under-appreciated. I have discussed with others the fact that she does not get her share of radio play today and for a long time. Sirius radio has been criticized for their general lack of Linda on their channels. Fortunately, the last few years since her autobiography and illness, she has started to get what was due years ago (RRHOF, National Medal of Arts, etc). I have to look at the exact spelling but Linda's diagnosis is no longer Parkinson's but a form of palsy. Like Parkinson's there is supposedly medicine to help but there is no cure. I pray for her daily!!!!! eddiejinnj

17. eddiejinnj

Boomer, that is sooo cool you got to play BB with her and the band!!! Way to go!!!! eddiejinnj

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Los Angeles Times
    Linda Ronstadt plans to attend Kennedy Center Honors

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

"underrated" is OVER USED.

20. eddiejinnj

From what I have been told, an Honoree has to attend the ceremony in order to receive the award!!!!
    The Hollywood Walk of Fame is the same. What is the date for the Trio's Star ceremony? eddiejinnj

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Saw her in concert in the late 70's or 1980 in a small theater like setting in N.Y.C. Nailed every song. Great voice.

23. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Absolutely agree - Nobody has ever topped her version of "Long, Long Time."

Her 80s albums with Nelson Riddle were spectacular, as well.

Rickchick and Jarleboy like this.
  24. eddiejinnj

The documentary is now or will soon be playing in NYC again at a festival I will post when I look it up again. eddiejinnj

25. dzjc

dzjc Forum Resident

My wife and I were fortunate enough to have seen her in 1975 with the Eagles and Jackson Browne. What a concert that was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.