The new MoFi Phono preamp ($250) is very nice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice mechanical form factor. Easy to setup and use. I really like the mono button and the subsonic filter button.

Sound is very good. Surprising at this price point. Wouldn't surprise me if this was the best (or certainly one of the best) under $500 phono preamps. I only have about four hours on it, who knows it may get even better with break-in. But it's very good right out of the box.

The only thing I could do a direct compare with was the $1K Channel Islands unit. Not a fair comparison, the C.I. four times the price and in a different league sonically.

But for a $500 to $1K table I think the Mofi would be ideal.

2. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your experience. One of my friends is looking for his first external phono stage and this is on his list.

3. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I recently purchased one of these around Christmas 2017. I have a Rogue Audio Sphinx with a Shure V15V-Mr cartridge, but I was looking to down the road purchase a low output moving coil cartridge, and wanted something affordable to use. I haven't purchased any mc cartridges yet, but I have been using this as the phono preamp as opposed to the phono input in the Sphinx. I just have the mofi connected to my amp. It seems to work well, and sometimes I switch to just using the Sphinx, but honestly, I think I am more impressed with the MoFi phono stage than the Sphinx. I also like the mono button for those mono pressings. I'm looking forward to using it with a MC cartridge.

Heckto35 and patient_ot like this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a Sphinx and yes, I would take the MoFi over the inboard phono on the Sphinx.

6. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I have the first generation Sphinx, so I think the phono output was a bit weaker than the v2. I don't have to crank it up as much using the mofi, plus it sounds better to my ears.

7. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Love the MoFi UltraPhono, using it with an SL-1200 and a 2M Blue. It doesn’t feel substantial, but it delivers the sonic goods. Excellent headphone amp as well, pairing it with a Sennheiser 650 and Oppo PM-3.

Heckto35 and bluemooze like this.
  8. dbesh2

dbesh2 New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.