The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I haven't read through all 18 pages but just one question...how are the Smart feature's handled? My Sony Bravia XDR65X930D is an absolutely spectacular set in every regard except the underlying AndroidTV OS which has brought me to the brink of ditching the set on more than one occasion. I don't hear these issues from Samsung owners, so I have to think it is Sony's implementation. It had gotten to be somewhat better once I gave up on the RVU client and used a Genie STB, but after the recent (long awaited) OS updates it is a constantly crashing mess.

Not meaning to crap here, just wondering if the player shares the Android foundation.

2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I'm not sure it will do that as the menu that pops up when you turn it on doesn't default to "disc" as there are so many other things to choose from (USB, YouTube, Hulu, etc.). I have put Blu-rays in it that start automatically, though. A CD doesn't, but I'm sure there's a setting to make it "auto-play". You'll need a monitor to change that setting, though.

lbangs likes this.
  3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

OK thanks. I have no problem using a monitor to set it up. I just don't want to keep it there.

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. 30ips

30ips Forum Resident

I've been unable to find an auto start setting, have to use remote.

OTOH, I've found the analogue outs to be great. I compared it to digital to my Schiit Modi 2 Uber and heard NO difference. So for now, I sold the Schiit and am using analog outs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
    Lownote30 and bigal00769 like this.
  5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Cool! I don't use mine to play CDs (it's part of my 5.1 setup), so I didn't know if there was a setting to enable auto play. It will auto play DVDs and blu-ray discs right out of the box, though.

6. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

Where does one purchase this player new? Getting a lot of "no longer available" at various online sources like Crutchfield, which I guess means the player has been superseded by a newer model? If so, what is that newer model? I'm surprised, since there are posts here indicating purchases of the H1 as recently as April.

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

The H1 is a discontinued product. The replacement UBP-X800, adds UHD aka 4K to the feature list and is available for $299.99 at the Michigan Avenue Best Buy.

riddlemay likes this.
  8. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

9. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I have just got the latest Sony UBP-X800 its fine as a 4K BD player . I also the excellent XA5400ES which I much prefer for SACD & CD used with the Sony STR-DA5400ES (Uk version that has HATS). Using the Sony X800 for playing SACD & Cds ,the TV display is a distraction, is it possible to turn it off ?

10. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

Thanks, mdm. This player appears to lack analog outs, but another player in the Sony line at Crutchfield, the X1000ES, has them--albeit for $400 more. One presumes (hopes?) that regardless of the presence of the analog outs, it is even better for audio than than 800 because of the ES designation, but I don't know if that's the case.

11. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure, I haven't got that model. You can switch off the display with the UHP-H1, no problem, though of course you lose the displayed info - the small display on the front of the box shows almost nothing except the track number.

12. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Funny, the analogue outs for me only sound good when playing SACDs...for everything else, I'm using the S/PDIF coax out (my integrated amp's DAC seems to do a better job than the Sony's).

With hybrid SACDs, the remote's AUDIO button won't switch between SACD and CD layers, but it will switch between different audio programs on Blu-rays and DVD-A discs.

Can anyone suggest a small, cheap HDMI monitor to hook up to the Sony? I'm using it strictly as an audio source, but might like to check out the streaming capabilities.

13. 30ips

30ips Forum Resident

I got mine last week as a refurb off of Ebay for $149 with free shipping. I'm a happy buyer, as you might imagine. Amazon also occasionally has refurbs and used units, but keep your eye on ebay - there's a used one there now for $200, but you can do better.

14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm thinking of looking for one of these ( I need the analogue outs) for my backup system, but one thing scares me. I heard that it cannot play files gaplessly, which would mean a pause between tracks of a live piece of music. Anyone have that experience with that? And if not, any recommendations where I can look for one? I thought of calling local Best Buys to see if they have any returns or open stock.

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Funny the Blue Ray only version has analogue and a higher price than the cheaper 4k Blue Ray player which doesn't

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm not laughing. :) I need the analog outs more than the 4K, since this is for my back-up system. I'm looking to upgrade my Pioneer 563-A, which I assume is inferior sound-wise to the Sony. Unless it isn't.

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The only review that I read on this player mentioned the analogs were a bit lacking in AQ. It does not play files gaplessly.

18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well they have that ,if 4k discs aren't for you ,but if you need multi channel plugs ,you need a oppo ,and will have to pay more

19. Kasper Resen

Kasper Resen New Member

Hi Back2Vinyl.
    I'm considering buying myself a Sony UHP-H1 Player. Especially after reading your high praises of it. However, I have two questions:
    1) Can I play cd's and audio-discs via RCA/Optical outputs without having to turn on the TV? (Perhaps a dumb question, but I need clarification on this.)
    2) How would you describe the sound quality from the RCA-channel? Is it decent enough? (I only have CDs, no SACD or DVD-audio)

20. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You can play CDs without having to turn on your TV, but you will need a TV to set everything up.
    Once you insert a disk, the player launches its audio software automatically. You only need to press play on your remote to get the music.
    There's a little display on the faceplate but it doesn't say much.

bluemooze and Kasper Resen like this.
  21. Kasper Resen

Kasper Resen New Member

Thanks a lot for the information. How is the sound quality on the RCA-stereo output? Is it decent enough for normal CDs? Or would you recommend using an external dac?

22. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm very sorry, I only ever used mine for digital playback so I can't say. I'm confident however that the frequency response is stone cold flat and that the internal DAC is very high quality, perfectly fine for CD playback.

23. Kasper Resen

Kasper Resen New Member

I'm considering a Pioneer BDP-X300 as well. Also a universal player. An important factor for me is the internal DAC, want to use the analog stereo output?
    In that case should I go for the UHP-H1 or the BDP-x300?
    Datasheet for the BDP-x300 can be found here: http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/datasheets/english/BDP-X300.pdf

mdm08033 likes this.
  24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I can't spot DVD-Audio on the spec sheet. If DVD-Audio is of interest I would go for the Sony.

Happy listening, Michael

back2vinyl likes this.
  25. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Kasper, I've gone back and forth with the UHP-H1's RCA output...initially I felt that the digital output for CDs and files was superior to the RCA outputs, and I only used the RCA outputs for SACD playback. My amp has a very good internal DAC, so it's probably handling the digital output, so maybe it's not a fair criticism of the Sony's internal DAC when using the RCA outputs.

I've noticed less differences when I A/B the digital and RCA output lately, it was more noticeable when I first set up the Sony.

I picked up a little monitor in lieu of a TV for use with the Sony...you don't need a TV, as it defaults to whatever optical media you insert, but it helps (especially with data discs/thumb drives/streaming).

dbsea and Kasper Resen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.