The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

4. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

And in 1987 the very first Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance goes to…

5. The_Nightfly

The_Nightfly Forum Resident

Ok, I got through a few listens of Mob Rules now. It didn't have the same effect on me as Heaven And Hell which had more obvious highlights, but something tells me this will be a grower that I will enjoy more after some time and repeat listens. Mob Rules, The Sign of the Southern Cross, Country Girl and especially Falling Off the Edge of the World were my personal highlights, and something i look for to return to later on.

Falling Off the Edge of the World

Now that's how you build a metal song!

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Who did the 2024 remastering? the entire set is available on streaming services (TIDAL has it in 16/44.1 FLAC)

Crimson Witch and Joel Zerns like this.
  7. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

That's an interesting thought process. I wouldn't mind hearing the results.

I think Michael should just get rid of Michael Voss and let the singers do their jobs. I read in an interview (if my memory doesn't fail) that Voss has been responsible for writing the vocal lines for all the albums he has produced.

Joel Zerns, Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.
  8. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

One of the greatest songs. Dio has sung a few of those, and a couple on this album.

fretter, Purple, Trillmeister and 5 others like this.
  9. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Great sound on this 1983 King Biscuit Flower Hour gig. Ian Hunter, Dr. John & Edgar Winter guest.

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I maintain Voodoo is the greatest Black Sabbath song of them all.

supernaut, fretter, Purple and 5 others like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I saw Martin's band earlier this year at my local and I blown away. The entire show was fantastic. It was his "History of Tull" show (or whatever the title was). They moved through the catalog in sequence in conjunction with a cool background projection, with Martin having a few words of explanation in between. Everybody in the band were great musicians including the singer who sounded somewhat like Ian Anderson back in his young days. There is a thread up here of us talking about his live shows etc - if you like Tull you need to see this show to believe how good it is!! Words do not suffice...

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow. I did not know that, but it both makes sense and doesn't make sense to me.

What I mean by that is the first album he made with Michael Voss (Temple of Rock), that was obviously the case. Voss handled all the vocals and I think was the producer too. His stamp was all over it melody-wise (I thought). I actually like that album btw because I find the songs somewhat more memorable/melodic than what Schenker had been doing with most other singers recently b4 that. A friend of mine DOESN'T like it though because he thinks it is too "poppy" songwise.

After that first TOR album - and I am just typing this off top of my head - I think Voss took a backseat as far vocals go, with Doogie White being the new singer (?is that right?). I didn't like it (or anything that followed much other than live albums) as far as the songs went but I think Voss has remained his producer ever since (?is that right?). I assumed Doogie had a hand in the new vocal melody lines rather than Voss since I didn't like the new songs but could be as you say & that Voss just ran out of what I consider to be decent melodies....I dunno!

fretter, Tarot Man and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I like that song a lot but I wouldn't put it that high in my own Sabbath hierarchy. I totally respect that it is your #1 though.

Tarot Man and Curveboy like this.
  15. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

I can't be hundred percent sure about my memory, but I remember Schenker saying that he has all these riffs and then together with Voss they take it forward and make them into songs and after that they bring in the singer.
    I don't know how much Doogie writes, but at least his Rainbow and Cornerstone material have some great vocal lines. On his Temple of Rock album, Lord of the Lost and Lonely sounds like something he would write.

slipkid likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'm trying to find any song samples of a band that released an album in 1996 called Big Fat Love. Not the punk band but a band with 1 album and a single called "balance". Anyone heard them or can find any song samples for me to hear what they sound like?

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great album.

Funny Derringer story - he played around here, just down the street from me, in a lame community hall thing called "The Barn at Birchwood" in 2000. A friend of mine (Fred who I've mentioned up here tons of times already) was friends with the guy(s) that somehow booked the show, but I can't recall how they were able to get a legend like him to play there.

And I wish I could remember how this went, but my friend told me what Rick's "demands" were for playing there - and they weren't much. Something like "$500 and bottle of Stoli" (could be way off on the $$, might even have done it for free??? wish I could remember). I'll have to ask him the story about this next time I see him...

The show was great & Rick hung out afterwards signing stuff and chatting with fans etc. He signed a bunch of my CDs including that live one and gave me a pick which he signed (I think he used that one during the show & he gave that to me at the end - either that or he tossed it out & I caught it - then him had sign it later ). I still have a poster from that show hanging up on my wall here too. Anyways...

Here's the pick and that album above signed by Mr. D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I taped that show with my mics standing like 1 foot in front of the stage. Fred is the guy I posted about earlier who would make CD artwork for stuff I & other friends taped & other live shows we traded for/collected/downloaded/etc, who would put paper labels on his discs (which now some won't play). I just realized UH-OH what if he did that to my CDRs of this but that is not the case. I must have burned him his own copies and kept him away from mine (whew). Fred made the CD case artwork though & it is pretty cool and here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea/can't remember what "76-00" in his artwork was supposed to mean. May have just been a mistake? Think I edited out at some point for myself (? and posted it on my website without the 76-00??). Oh & explanation of the back cover is that Fred's wife Regina brought a Derringer LP with her for him to sign (is that the back cover of the LP of All American Boy above????) so Rick signed it for her using her name etc.

Just some cool R&R memories that some of you might get a kick out of..

18. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

Always great to hear these tales. :cheers:

supernaut, fretter and slipkid like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Which bands have unreleased albums you want released? Me the answer now are the bands Kik Tracee and Animal Bag

20. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

Whatever Gary Moore recorded after Wild Frontier that he scrapped, Bruce Dickinson's Keith Olsen album. I'm sure these don't exist anymore anywhere, so it's just a fantasy.

21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Vinnie Vincent
    Guitars From Hell

Nuke It

22. I completely agree with @Gus Tomato here: Sabotage original WB CD all the way.
    The 1986 Castle suffers from serious tape issues on side 1.
    The 2009 Sanctuary sounds nice but rolled off compared to the WB.

23. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

[​IMG]

Damn you guys and the constant temptations of your physical media obsession. :p

Check out that sweet, sweet Ted Lasso bookmark, too.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think that all the Bruce Dickinson Olsen tracks have been made available now as bonus tracks on the remasters and things like his Best Of album (also on some CD singles)??? Emphasis on I THINK because am not really sure.

I didn't even know (or I 4got) that Gazza (not sure where that nickname came from or means but have seen it applied to Gary Moore at some point or other?) scrapped an album in between Wild Frontier and After the War. WOW!!!!! Would love to hear that (assuming it is a hard rock album instead of a blues excursion).

fretter, Tarot Man and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Melkboer

Melkboer Forum Resident

Absolutely love this one! And found a perfect copy on a record fair a few months ago. Made me a happy guy :D