The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I used mainstream twice in that post and I should have been clearer on the context the second time. When I said "An underground scene is played out when it hits the mainstream.", I meant the metal mainstream. Though it's strange to think of metal as even having a mainstream.

My post was in reply to your referencing death metal singer Dan Swano. but here you're talking about alternative metal vocals which are two completely different animals.

But whether it was extreme or alternative, the vocal styles became standardized almost overnight. It didn't take long for the bloom to come off the rose either way.

2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I agree with that statement. Look,I liked the first two Fear Factory CDs and Dan Swano to me was even better at that clean to growls . I reread my Dan Swano post you refer to and can understand the "clean/growls/roars" to be not clear enough in what I meant as Clean to growls/roars to clean,ect.... It's the vocal technique used of clean to extreme and back that created a fresher styling within the genera and opening up what was till then becoming limiting.And I liked that. Just as Cynic was exploring guitar synthesizer territory it opened up more possibilities for a band not to get boxed in .But,the vocals for Cynic neutered that progress IMO. Devin Townsend,Dan Swano,even Burton C. Bell could have done wonders with Cynic's musical frontiers.My example there of vocals not limiting the music created. Anyway, , that vocal blueprint got picked up fairly quickly and Nu-Metal (alt Metal was a mislabel I think) works well with that vocal pattern(clean/heavy/clean/heavy)and Nu-Metal got fairly big just as I was getting very over that vocal styling is what I was saying.FF and Dan Swano before them there were others exploring that,right? But I picked up on it with these guys and sort of lost it later when it was less unique?is my long winded point(with off-points included):laugh:

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Struts '14 album re-issued in '16 is Eddie Trunk's top album of '17.
    Twitter

4. dmiller458

The local active rock station has played the sh... stuff out of Could Have Been Me and Kiss This.

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Been getting into this album tonight. Really dig it.

Blacktop Mojo - Burn the Ships (2017)

[​IMG]

I don't have time to write a review so I'll just reference these instead.

Blacktop Mojo Release Title Track Off of Upcoming LP, 'Burn The Ships'

Track List:
    1 Where The Wind Blows
    2 End Of Days
    3 Burn The Ships
    4 Prodigal
    5 Shadows On The Wall
    6 Sweat
    7 Pyromaniac
    8 8000 Lines
    9 Dog On A Leash
    10 Make A Difference
    11 Chains
    12 Dream On
    13 Underneath

“If Soundgarden and Lynyrd Skynyrd were to take a roll in the hay, nine months later, out would pop Blacktop Mojo.”

Formed in September 2012, armed with a simple demo and a dream, they set out to play as many shows as they could, touring and sharing the stage (with the likes of Aaron Lewis, Saving Abel, & Puddle of Mudd, among others.) During that time, Blacktop Mojo’s self-released their first studio album ‘I Am’ back in 2014. Time has not been wasted since their debut album release. Everything on this journey has led them to this most important moment in their career. The band’s latest offering Burn the Ships is an instant rock’ n roll masterpiece featuring the soon to be classic songs “Where The Wind Blows” and “Dog On A Leash”. Produced by Philip Mosley and mixed and mastered by Austin Deptula. This latest album release will launch Blacktop Mojo into the elite company of some of the great rock bands of all time.

http://www.foxforcefivenews.com/bla...k-to-life-on-new-album-burn-the-ships-review/

Rock and roll is dead. Or rather… rock and roll WAS dead and Blacktop Mojo just poured a bottle of whiskey down its throat and took the damn defibrillators to town on that bitch until it woke the hell up. ‘Burn The Ships’ is one of the best heavy music albums I’ve heard in a long time. Equal parts grunge and southern rock, Blacktop Mojo just might be the best REAL band in North America since The Black Keys decided to just play the blues. Lead singer Matt James is just as strong as Shinedown’s Brent Smith and his work on their cover of Aerosmith’s ‘Dream On’ is nothing short of stunning.

Shadows on The Wall’ is one of my favourite cuts on the effort and it reminded me of classics like Soundgarden’s ‘Outshined’ or Alice in Chains’ ‘Rooster’. Blacktop Mojo are still strong when they slow it down too and I like a band that can still retain it’s energy and presence on the ballads like album closer ‘Underneath’, which reminded me of Goo Goo Dolls (that’s a good thing man – when you can slow it down and still make the men pay attention, then you’ve struck gold). Ryan Kiefer and Kenneth Irwin’s guitarwork is stellar while Matt Curtis (bass) and Nathan Gillis (drums) round out one of the tightest bands in the USA.

There are so many brilliant songs on ‘Burn The Ships’ that I’m floored to be honest. From the killer album opener ‘Where The Wind Blows’ which has shades of of Copperhead Road-era Steve Earle all the way to blistering tracks like ‘Pyromaniac’ featuring lyrics like “Watch me burn out. I lit the flame myself. Don’t breathe in the smoke, you fool. Don’t wanna watch you choke” – this record is an album of the year contender. Believe it.

Review: Blacktop Mojo – ‘Burn The Ships’ - Devils Gate Media

It’s been a good few weeks for East Texans, Blacktop Mojo. They opened for Bon Jovi (after winning a contest on lil Jon’s website), the video for their cover of ‘Dream On’ hit 1M likes on YouTube, and Classic Rock magazine said that they “might just be the next big American rock band”… not too shabby, as praise goes. The boys from Palestine… no, the other one (finally slipped a Die Hard reference in! Life goals!), are riding on a crest of glowing reviews, and not-so-quietly building up a head of steam. Sophomore album, ‘Burn The Ships’ is beginning to make people sit up and notice in a way that the American rock scene has perhaps lacked since the early days of Alter Bridge. A band playing what could be perceived as classic hard rock with a modern day twist. Crunching sludgy riffs, anthemic hooks, and a ballad or two for the suits at drivetime radiBeginning with a short southern acoustic guitar intro, opening track, ‘Where The Wind Blows’ soon settles into four minutes of crushing riffs and pounding beats. Almost grunge in its execution, but at the same time, it displays a post grunge groove missing from the golden days of Seattle. The lead guitar work from Ryan Kiefer is top notch as he lets fly on his solos. Impressive stuff. The banjo-like picking towards the end is a nice nod towards the band’s Southern roots. ‘End Of Days’ crushes like a rampaging rhino, as does the title track, which is all about the drum sound from Nathan Gillis. Simply massive. Bassist, Matt Curtis, gets his moment in the spotlight with a few chunky bass fills, as he also does on ‘8000 Lines’. Good work, fella. Listen to the song a few times, and you might pick up a few influences. I heard classic Black Sabbath jams towards the end, coupled with Iommi-sized riffs. 15 minutes into the album, and it’s clear to see how important the guitars are to Blacktop Mojo, from the skull crushing riffs of Ryan Kiefer, to the vital rhythms from Kenneth Irwin.

The tempo slows down a notch on a few occasions, namely; ‘Prodigal’, ‘Make A Difference’ (complete with trippy guitars in the background), and ‘Underneath’, which all retain a bite, despite the change of pace. The middle of the album is chock-full of sludgy riffs (‘Sweat’), slow-building head bangers (‘Pyromainac’) and the swampy bruiser that is ‘Dog On A Leash’. The cover of ‘Dream On’, I touched on earlier. 1 million views on YouTube? Unbelievable that a fledgling band can get those numbers, but when you hear how good the cover is, then maybe not quite as unbelievable. Taking on Aerosmith is ballsy enough, but bypassing ‘Walk This Way’ or ‘Sweet Emotion’ for the ultimate power ballad displays cajones of King Kong proportions. Sweet baby Jesus, these guys nail it… no massive changes or reimagining, just a faithful version of a bonafide classic. First listen, I’m curious to see wether or not vocalist Matt James could hit the high notes towards the end, the glass-shattering notes where Steven Tyler makes the hairs stand on end. Well cover me in honey and throw me on the grill, the boy knocks it out of the park! Totally, totally nails it. Job. ****ing. Done. Best cover of an Aerosmith song, period. The flipside of this is the risk that ‘Burn The Ships’, and in turn, Blacktop Mojo, will be defined by a cover. That risk evaporates with each listen of the album. There is more than enough bangers on ‘Burn The Ships’ to ensure that ‘Dream On’ is merely the icing on the cake.

The next few steps for Blacktop Mojo will be crucial in building on the momentum that’s gathering. Live dates are a must, and getting them on “classic rock Sunday” at Download in June is another.

Heck, I like their version of Dream On more than Aerosmith's! That reviewer above don't lie.

I think this link is the whole album if yer curious. The Soundgarden crossed with Skynyrd reference in the first review above is a pretty good description.
    Blacktop Mojo - "Burn The Ships" (Full Album)

GodShifter and weekendtoy like this.
  6. Natvecal.

You're right. They do a good job of that song! Nails that high scream really well at the end.:righton:

BTW, when I first read the first line of your post I originally thought this a Stuck Mojo thing ha ha...

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Pretty safe. I think I'd like a rendition that goes off the rails some for the chorus. Get some careening fuzz in there. Sonic Youth and their cover of The Carpenter's Superstar crossed my mind but I looked at it and no. Way too soft and wrong vocal. That Black Mojo singer is much better suited.

Unfamiliar with The Struts I watched both videos with the guy who is channeling Jagger/Tyler/Mercury and in my own best interest I think it best to not say a word. Instead I'll give a visual approximation of my reaction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Good vocals, but I've heard that song too many times for it to really resonate with me anymore no matter how it's approached.

9. GodShifter

Dan Swanö is one prolific dude in terms of the bands he's been in and worked with. I guess my favorite thing he's done is play drums on Katatonia's Tonight's Decision. I like some of his Edge of Sanity stuff, too. I remember hearing some of his stuff on a few Century Media samplers I have. I've never bought any of his stuff, though.

10. Natvecal.

Testament's Aerosmith cover (Nobodies Fault)was a song that I always liked and thought had that Hard rock vibe that could easily step over the threshold into the Metal world if the right band covered it? Plus a quite obscure one compared to the very heavily played Dream On.Now tackling that song is a bold move as the whole world knows that one and they make it work. Also, Thought Testament did good IMO or a least that's what I thought back in '88. Had The New Order on good old cassette wayyyyyy back when:D

11. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Have you listened to Moontower?

12. Natvecal.

At my local Record Shop ,I knew everyone (very well) and in the early(or mid?) '90s used to get over the counter so much Century Media Samplers/bands & artists from that label (among other-promo Cds) that they would save up for my frequent visits there that I'd buy a Cd but, walk out with 10-15 Promo CDs ha ha....

I think DS played drums on the Nightingale CDs? I may be wrong there (don't have a lot of that stuff anymore ) but DS playing drums rings a bell for me

GodShifter likes this.
  13. GodShifter

I believe so. I'm pretty sure I checked that out several years ago and liked it. The cover looks familiar, but I can't recall the music that well.

14. Dreadnought

I succumbed to checking out many a list this year and the fewer names I recognized the more I was intrigued. This will definitely be the last list I go through. I've found it efficient to 'Like' on Facebook bands I like as I'll then get whatever news related to them. Thus when an album I liked very much, Arthaneum by Redemptor, was chosen as #1 in the "Progressive Death Metal" category I checked out the list. I had to chuckle at how specific their list is and yet I have to do it. At least the top one or two of genres I don't like much. RTMB: Essential Releases 2017 | RTMB My browser gives the option of translating to English and I did so.

Specific? I like it but if you don't, try to resist picking up an axe. :p
    Top tens in the following
    ATMOSPHERIC, INSTRUMENTAL, EXPERIMENTAL, MATH ROCK, POST-ROCK, POST-HARDCORE, METALCORE, DEATHCORE, MATHCORE, HARDCORE, GRINDCORE, SLUDGE, DOOM, STONER, POST-METAL, PROGRESSIVE ROCK, PROGRESSIVE METAL, BRUTAL PROG, PROGRESSIVE DEATH METAL, TECHNICAL DEATH METAL, BRUTAL DEATH METAL, BLACKENED DEATH METAL, BLACK METAL, PROGRESSIVE BLACK METAL, POST-BLACK METAL, ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL, EXTREME METAL, AVANT-GARDE METAL.

Pardon the capital letters but copy/paste lazy guy I am.

15. dmiller458

That's why I don't watch videos. I try to watch audio only or I scroll down the page so that I can only hear the music.

Dreadnought likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

I often do the same thing, to avoid being distracted and be fair, but I couldn't take my eyes off the car wreck.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Natvecal.

I would agree with that watching can paint your impression quite differently than the listening with your ears and not eyes.I can't play a single musical thing in the world to my Son with out him having to hunt down the video of it before making a final opinion!:doh: I pine for the pre-visually "assisted" music days sometimes.....:sigh:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Natvecal.

To elaborate, my son(25) did and to this day still watches music more than listens to it from where I stand. If no video exists it becomes "Fan" videos to watch.....

BTW, if I had seen JP's Breakin' The Law "OMV" before I heard it on the radio things may have been very different for me and JP ha ha.I still cringe when I see that Video:laugh:
    My response would have been similar to Rik's (At the 3:40 mark onward):uhhuh:Apologies, have no clue how to edit this Youtube vid to just looping that last 10seconds over and over(would be better that way):shrug:

19. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

20. Redeemer should have sounded more like this....Appetite wetted!!!

Matthew Tate and lenny nero like this.
  21. Natvecal.

Brutal Truth-Need To Control ('94 Earache Records)
    Only had first two CDs back in the mid '90s this is the song I like the best (for what I look for in a song ) Enjoy all the elements that make up this tune

EDIT; this was my go-to if I wanted to piss-off one of my roommates or neighbor. A great get-back-at- song:evil:

Brenald79 and GodShifter like this.
  22. Dreadnought

I'm not even half way through this album but damn it...I've been affected. :wiggle:

23. Dreadnought

Given the Middle-Eastern flavour happening above, if I kill the sound for this will I be able to sync them? ;)

EDIT: I was distracted.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  24. GodShifter

Wait, how did the music in that video go again?

Dreadnought likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

greatest video ever

Dreadnought likes this.