The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Whoah there, you sonofab....!

:goodie: :edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs: :goodie:

Fan. Bleedin.' Tastic.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

That was impressive in many aspects. Whoa.

weekendtoy and Yam Graham like this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I need my fellow posters to talk some sense into me. Family got together and we were packed in a van for the drive to the restaurant. Younger relatives had the radio on the local top forty station playing their typical mix of watered-down hip-hop and Max Martin pop. Then Sugar We're Goin Down came on.

The second I heard that guitar, I said crank it. As I was listening, I'm thinking to myself "when did Fall Out Boy become kick@$$?" I look at the singles charts every week and there's just no electric guitar. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Godshifter that first brought up the notion of passing time putting a new perspective on things.

Later I had to listen to some metal to flush that chit outta my brain. I grabbed a random CD and it was Killswitch's Incarnate. (I listen to a lot of NWOAHM and metalcore -- too much.) It still wasn't quite gone, so I went with the tried-and-true putting In Trance on repeat play. That finally did the trick.

In an earlier post, I wondered if I was getting it wrong about commercial metal bands like Avenged Sevenfold, the same way the critics got it wrong in their original reviews of Zeppelin and Sabbath. Help me out here. When I say that Fall Out Boy is too commercial, that they're over-produced, and that they're lowest common denominator; I'm not judging them too harshly --- or am I?

Am I setting the bar too high or too low? Is transcendence an impossible standard in the 10s? Should I embrace the poptimist standard of professionalism and musicianship and combine it with rock's standard for kick@$$ guitar? I've mentioned before that I get most of new rock from the charts and I try to limit myself to one album a week. With sales in the crapper, if I were to cut back to one a month or less; I'd just be contributing to the problem --- wouldn't I? Should I forget about CDs and just switch to streaming and downloads?

If I'm only looking to buy the next album that hits the heights of Blackwater Park or The Mantle; I might only get a handful of albums a year. Are there any recent albums as good as those two?

One last thing: If I ever start thinking of Journey and REO as the good ol' days, somebody take a pillow and smother me in my sleep.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

5. dmiller458

The mainstream press re-discovers how popular metal is every 2-3 years.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

It's weird that you give The Mantle as an example when it's more folk and post-rock than black metal. It's a good album but that's one of the reasons I've always either chosen Ashes Against the Grain or Pale Folklore since they're more representative of this genre. Still, despite Blackwater Park being great, you're still doing a massive disservice to the metal scene from 2000 onward by saying those two were the absolute pinnacle. It's nowhere near as simple as that.

7. dmiller458

I've said many times that I've lost touch with the cutting edge. When I come across a decent underground album, it's half luck. That's why I asked the question.

8. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've been listening to this album as of late. It totally wipes the floor with Bathory's debut, in my opinion.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Guess when your golf course gets shut down, you write a book instead.

10. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Ha! Nice to see PW mentioned!These guys are from my area (San Diego) but, more East SD County (El Cajon?) and my wife knew them well being closer to that area growing up than me (Coastal North SD County).I don't have my wife here at the moment to confirm facts hence the question marks here & there.Went to an Dream Theater (Scenes From A Memory Tour) show early 2000's and she introduced me me to a couple of these guys in the lobby before the show as we were hanging out chatting with the various friends my wife knew from school/club days . Lead vocalist, Rich(I believe?) and now known as Buddy left and moved to Germany? Formed Deadsoul Tribe? We have the 1st & 2nd releases(realize there's more releases too) just lost touch with DST over the years. Great singer & flutist for sure! Any thoughts or opinions on DST?

11. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

I am nowhere near as familiar with Deadsoul Tribe but I may as well start now.

Natvecal. likes this.
  12. It's actually doing good business...always busy.
    Apprently he was shafted by one of the people who called in their part of the deal much earlier than agreed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    jeffgt14 likes this.
  13. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I'm going to see Styx and REO Speedwagon in a few months :hide:. My community (Duluth MN) is a baron wasteland for live music so I take what I can get.

It wasn't always like that. I've seen Metallica, Ozzy, Queensryche, KISS and so forth in the past. But that was all 25+ years ago. Prior to 'my time' bands like Judas Priest, Uriah Heep, Krokus, Dokken and Van Halen all played in the area late 70's to early 80's. Now nothing.

LEONPROFF and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to this one again. Easily one of the most underappreciated bands of the 1980s. More consistent than Testament and Exodus with an awesome set of musicians as well as one of the most badass frontmen in the metal genre.

neo123 and weekendtoy like this.
  15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Great album, terrible album cover.

Saw them open for Megadeth on that tour.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Natvecal.

Good song! I had these two in the late '80s at some point in my fuzzy recollections ha ha! Akira is a great guitarist. I liked his up stroke style of playing the main riffs of the songs as it gave a bite to the riffs being played.That was a take away for me as a guitarist that style of playing that I liked of Akira.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

The Loudness albums from the early '80s are great as well.

kyouki, Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Natvecal.

Years Of Decay was my first Overkill when it was released ('89?) Great band for sure.

kyouki and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

anyone get this yet?

20. Natvecal.

Wha.........? :eek:It's out???Going to Amazon pronto......

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

yes mine was delivered Saturday. just haven't had time to listen to it yet

Natvecal. likes this.
  22. Natvecal.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Natvecal. likes this.