The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I am a metal midget in this thread. I need 72 hour days to listen to all these bands & keep up. Lol

I love it. Find something new everyday.

Natvecal. likes this.
  3. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

While working today I've been thinking about Glen and the posts you guys have put up concerning Glen.So much time has passed in our lives that sometimes it seems like yesterday and other times...far away and distant. It's a trip. It's been a long trip through the years ,guys.
    As I've posted about this before.....
    I was so stoked (still am!!!) to have seen the following tour (after The Unleashed release )in '80(British Steel). And this is what I saw(see below). I was ten feet away and it looked like this.The only thing missing is the machine gun Rob would have been holding in that raise hand/arm while on that motorcycle firing it straight up in the air! It was cool! At 18, I already had Unleashed and knew it very ,very well .I know about the "Live"/"Studio" issue with Unleashed.But, That's what I heard that night. Was that whole album played plus BTROD,HBFL Grinder,Livin'... Breakin....are what I can still recall to this day. There may have been a couple I've forgot over the long decades of time? But, when I listen to unleashed I hear the concert I was at. Sound-wise dead on. Where life takes me as I age and where Judas Priest go as they age,I don't know.BUT- This is how I will always picture them and still feel that youthful 18 year old kid I once was pumping his fist high in the air that evening forever young in those memories we will always be! I listened to Heavy Metal for years.But, that night I became a Metal-head:D............my world was forever changed when I came home that night.

EDIT; actually I was 17! The next year I was at The Point Of Entry concert at the same place(SDSU Open Air Amphitheater )and I was already kicked out of my Parent's house because I was 18 by then :doh:LOL!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. Natvecal.

Skyclad.Wow! that's a band I've forgotten about!I believe I had 1 or 2 CDs from back in the day. I can only remember this one Prince Of The Poverty Line.If I recall kinda Blackmore's Night /Jethro Tull with some hardrock?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

No clue. I was wondering the same thing. I'm looking forward to it, but my interest in Grin kicked in when I heard they reformed. Once upon a time, a promo copy graced my collection. I hope whoever took it realizes how precious it is and that they kept in in the plastic sleeve. I just can't imagine dropping 300 Discogs dollars for a VG copy. Uh....not so much.

6. Tor33rpm

I'll pay for the S&H from Europe in a heartbeat!

7. Natvecal.

Had this on CD back in the day. This is a very well produced album and I can easily see the positives of a vinyl re-release in the sonics department.Having never heard this on vinyl I am very interested in this news indeed.:righton:

Tor33rpm likes this.
  8. Tor33rpm

From what I remember, Paralized, Mesmerized sounded.....well.....mesmerizing. Clean.

Natvecal. likes this.
  9. Natvecal.

Agree. Very clean sound.From what I can recall,a lot of metal releases from back then were,"It's like the band is right there blasting out your speakers." in the room with you or in front of you impression when listening to a particular CD.Right? That's what you want in your metal.But, Grin was different (production-wise) I noticed. Almost like they were all playing on separate mountain peaks and your in the valley in the center of the three of them listening?Big sounding but,spacious if that makes sense? Not that it was distant sounding at all but, resonating very well all around you I guess? Like there was a lot of "air" around the instruments VS the "wall of sound" type of releases? Grin's production makes it breath very nicely without "wimping "it out. Audiophile-like? A great sound that would be a treat to listen to in the vinyl format is my guess?IMHO of course.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Tor33rpm likes this.
  10. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I saw Aerosmith on the Done With Mirrors tour in '85 and Joe Perry did Red House at that time. Honestly, it wasn't a very good show overall, but was the first step in their comeback.

11. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The original power ballad?

12. Tor33rpm

Great take. It certainly doesn't need to be a wall of nails to be a metal record. This record proves that a little air can add a heavy groove.

Natvecal. likes this.
  13. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

2 guitars (electric), fiddle, bass, drums and occasionally an acoustic guitar in the mix. Great night, new album (Forward Into The Past) well up to scratch, need to see them again soon!!!

Natvecal. likes this.
  14. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

A shot of James Hetfield as a cop in the Ted Bundy movie has surfaced ...

[​IMG]

15. Natvecal.

Got an external BD-ROM drive ripped Ty Tabor's Alien Beans! Listening now:DLife in my universe has been restored to order at last:D Some hardrockin' tracks(tracks 2 & 3) 4th track very melodic and last track on CD as well.I missed some songs as I'm also getting out of here to go work!But, I had to finally hear some new Ty Tabor,right?Me thinks I might be a little late workin' today:laugh:
    But, what I'm hearing sounds great! Looking forward to listening when I'm not in a .....rush

Life is good:D

Greenalishi and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Metallica goes Smooth Jazz - it's great! :laugh:

weekendtoy likes this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

And Judas Priest goes Bossa Nova

18. dmiller458

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Finally had the chance to listen to the new Saxon.

Pretty good as usual. But I wish they would resist the urge to add the over the top touches like the sounds on the weird opening track or the (IMO) godawful doubletracked growling evil vocals on the song Predator or the growls on A Wizard's Tale. They are a good enough band that I would rather just hear them play than use what to me is some kind of overblown poser metal production that seems to go to comical lengths to try to suggest that "we are so heavy that we drink ice cold metalized dwarf's blood whilst crushing angry scorpion filled skulls under a full moon on Friday the 13th". o_O

20. dmiller458

They played Priest's Lightning Strike on my local active rock station today. I was (pleasantly) surprised.

21. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Priest's Lightning Strike is a classic sounding track. Punchy song!

ALMOST as classic as the "Green Manalishi" cover. But seriously, what's that good? :)

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I'm not sure British radio airwaves have been particularly troubled by a single instance of classical Heavy Rock in fifteen years or more.

However, we have huge quantities of 'Grime.'

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah, after going though the whole thing I liked about 1/2 of it.

24. dmiller458

25. dmiller458