The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

One of my favourite underrated bands (Harem Scarem) are unleashing a 14-CD boxset on March 22. Cost is only $75 USD on Amazon.com :righton:.

[​IMG]

AndrewK, Curveboy and Brenald79 like this.
  2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I love the album. I also picked up the self titled album but am having a problem finding their other CDs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

Played with them a couple of weeks back. A new convert. Really enjoyed them

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Tried so many times to get into this band but just can't...one of those bands I should like but for soem reason don't! Great set though if you're a fan.

Purple and Deuce66 like this.
  5. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Stormrider77 and Northwind like this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have it on order!

Deuce66 likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Same here I ordered it from .com as opposed to .ca (it's a little bit cheaper). It will be nice to fill out the collection, I'm missing several of their albums and it will be nice to get all the b-sides and extra tracks.

Curveboy likes this.
  8. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

It's often hyperbole to say this, but Winger is really one of the few bands (certainly one of the few hair metal bands) that got better with age. Other than a misstep with IV, the last two albums, Karma (2009) and Better Days Comin' (2014) have been the band's very best. If you fell off the bandwagon after Pull, consider jumping back on with those two. Kip really knows how to write a great hook.

WINGER To Release New Album In 2020

9. Got my original 1983 albums signed last weekend.....had a nice chat with Rock Goddess, and took in the gig on the night.
    Lovely people...Thank you Julie, Jodie and Jenny.
    [​IMG]

Curveboy and carlwm like this.
  10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

T'was gutted that due to Jodie's illness the band had to drop out of the Cats in Space tour before Manchester. I was sorting my CDs out to get signed when the missus told me:sigh::sigh:

carlwm likes this.
  11. Yeah she was still in hospital last Thursday...took ill in the night after the Birmingham gig. Hopefully she's back home and recovering now.

PJayBe likes this.
  12. This is ace....

dmiller458 and PJayBe like this.
  13. malcolm reynolds

OK, I have been listening to the last couple of albums from Overkill, Kreator, Testament, Flotsam And Jetsom and Exodus a lot lately.Besides getting the older albums of those artists what other bands should I check out?

kyouki and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thrash?

15. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

Cyclone Temple?
    "Why"

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I picked up the Pretty Maids "A Blast From The Past" box set as it pretty much covers everything not included in the Classic Albums box (I know there are a few things missing)

)

One shocker; usually these sets are small and have paper sleeves...not this one. The CD set is as big as a vinyl box with 12 full size jewel cases. And spelling errors aside, I enjoyed their thoughts in the booklet on the making of each album.

Jimmy Agates and slipkid like this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The album is...OK. I was one of the Pledgers who helped get it made.

Yam Graham likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

In sort of the same style you might want to look into, I assume you already covered the Big 4.

Sepultura - Beneath the Remains / Arise / Chaos AD
    Coroner - Punishment for../No More Colour / Mental Vortex
    Voivod - Killing Technology / Dimension Hatross / Nothingface
    Metal Church - S/T
    Death - Symbolic / Individual Thought Patterns
    Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black / Dead Heart

once you start branching off from strict thrash metal it can lead into numerous genres and down the rabbit hole you go

19. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Another death in the Purple family. Former Gillan band guitar player Bernie Tormé has passed away on Sunday, March 17.

His family issued the following statement:

Bernie Tormé passed away peacefully on the 17th March 2019, one day short of his 67th birthday, surrounded by his family. He had been on life support for the past four weeks at a London hospital following post-flu complications. Bernie will be remembered for dedicating his life to his music for five decades. He will be sorely missed.

Last November, Tormé released a double album called Shadowland, which we somehow failed to mention at the time. Recorded last year at Barnroom Studios, the album was the first release from Bernie’s new trio. It also featured guest appearance from Colin Towns.

~ The Highway Star

20. Its a welcome return for me....better than OK, but not great. I'll take it tho.
    Again tho I find myself grumbling about sterile production...samey.
    Talking to Jody the day of the gig she seemed to think its great...noted how loud it was compared to their earlier albums...they were playing them in the shop!!
    Give me Vic Mailes production of their debut anyday.

21. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

From what I've read, the last two or so Anthrax and Testament discs were well received. I think you have the most recent three Overkill discs so I highly recommend checking out Ironbound from 2010.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. malcolm reynolds

Yeah I have the last three Testament albums also and love them. I have the Anthrax discs in my cart. Now I just need some money. ;)

kyouki and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

RIP Bernie (and Clive...)

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Oh yeah, 100% agree. A band I always hated based on their first two albums but then I heard Better Days and was totally blown away. I did a review of it earlier in this thread, think it won my "album of the year" pick that year. I backtracked through their catalog after that and found I liked them all starting with Pull.

2020 is too long away to wait for a new album, but I'm glad to hear a followup to Better Days is finally coming out.

Curveboy, Matthew Tate and Purple like this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ouch. I just read an interview with him in a recent Classic Rock mag & it sounded like he was still rocking, with a lot going on. R.I.P.

carlwm likes this.