The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Listened to soundbytes on Amazon on a cursory listen after reading yours and other's positive impressions. Your right ,this one leans in Badlands territory with the riffs & dirty guitar tone. I like that. The singer is a sticking point for me.But, I'm intrigued enough to likely buy this sooner than later.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Natvecal.

You got me curious now.Shame Jake didn't pick him.Very curios as to if he was the better fit for RDC?

I was reflecting on these comments on here in regards to RDC while I was working today. Some one popped into my head as a vocalist that could possibly work well with that Pantina style of material of Jake's.

John Corabi.
    I had The Scream on cassette when it was released. Liked it overall as I recall. He would work well in that Badlands vein to me without being a Ray G. wanna be(replacement) so, we would get the best of both worlds theoretically speaking & speculating of course here. For all I know they hate each others guts! Thoughts?

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

It's neither big or clever but sometimes the overtly formulaic is just what Dr. Rock prescribes.

dmiller458, Jimmy Agates and Curveboy like this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I really like what he is doing today in The Dead Daisies

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Makes it feel like 1983 in my mind.

Trillmeister and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

It is really good! It's no wonder they chose it as the lead-off track of the compilation.

They didn't look very Metal either!

[​IMG]

7. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Captain Beyond. I have never seen Entombed.

8. Natvecal.

DOH!:doh:

Cheevyjames likes this.
  9. Trillmeister

Well, quite! Although maybe slightly more Restless Heart than Slide It In.

dmiller458 likes this.
  10. Trillmeister

Actually, some of that Slide It In (the unfashionable-to-cite 1984 US remix) really hits the mark for me, especially many of the tracks' intros. Plus, sonically, this version kicks the much celebrated sound of the '87 success into the weeds, as far as I'm concerned.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

Red Fang. Stoner rock + prog. These guys are great on record and live. I've been following them for a few years now making sure I see every show they play in town. I'm surprised they didn't get mentioned in this thread but twice.

12. buddachile

13. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

That's the new Red Dragon Cartel bought thanks to the comments above. Hope it's a Badlands-like album or there'll be trouble lol.

Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  14. Natvecal.

Shaun Of The Dead must have been a source of inspiration for this. I got a chuckle watching this. Music kinda in "Helmet" territory? Groovier. IMO.

15. buddachile

Definitely groovier.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The excellent Eden's Curse have called it quits...they are having a going away sale if anyone is interested.

https://www.edenscurse.com/shop

I can recommend Testament: The Best of (which has a killer version of Dokken's Unchain The Night) or their last studio album, Cardinal.

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

man warrant has a ton of hits releases and as far as I know none of them have the alternate mix of "heaven" and while I'm at it the acoustic "bitter pill" is hard to get on cd now

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

19. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Myself being on board during the 80's Metal market & the 90's "Grunge" market (and most of the other 90's bands market as well) realize most of the 90's acts deserve the implosion.

Nirvana will probably remain as the sole "classic" (Metal/Grunge) artist spawned during the 90's. Many will disagree, but Papa Roach don't get many spins here.

20. buddachile

???

So, not Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam?

I disagree.

GodShifter, Soundslave and slipkid like this.
  21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

What implosion?

Papa Roach? They weren't worth a ...durn then, let alone now. And they didn't chart until 00.

M2225, buddachile and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Thanks for the replies, if we move 10 or 20 years from here Nirvana's "Nevermind" might be considered a "classic rock" staple. (In Utero is better IMO) Soundgardens "Badmotorfinger", "Superunknown" etc might not be considered equal classics "Nevermind" defined a new genre/decade, the latter ones rode on the same wave.

Grunge imploded (commercially) when Nu-Metal took over with Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach & the others late 90's early 00's Metal Acts. But on the other hand all these categorizations are just a result of the respective labels marketing departments, so yes I am wrong here too.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

New song from Diamond Head (title track of the new album) Coffin Train is up now.

Absolutely killer. Unlike most new albums I buy which sit for months b4 I get time to listen to them I'll be spinning this one the day that I get it (hopefully) - probably like 100 times.

The video itself, the images, are really cool too.

Song starts off like it is going to be a slow rocker but then it takes off with bonecrunching chords around 3:45, over which Brian Tatler then slays a solo for the ages.

If you like metal but don't dig this I'd be mystified!

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Got notice yesterday that mine shipped so should have it for the weekend!

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Pearl Jam would never be mistaken as a metal band. Hard rock? Maybe, but loosely defined even as that.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?