The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

2. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I've always wondered if the harshness of the DDD recording on Painkiller sapped some of the life out of the mix.

Painkiller is much harder on the ears that contemporary thrash-y classics like Among the Living and Rust In Peace.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My favorite band, Denmark's DIZZY MIZZ LIZZY are in the process of readying a new album for next year (yay!).

Anyone who has been on this thread from the beginning may remember my multiple reviews/comments/etc about them. To say I am addicted to them would be an understatement.

They have a new single on youtube here, CALIFORNIA RAIN:

LOVE Tim's guitar tone on this. Just monstrous. Think he must be doubling it through a Marshall and a Vox AC30 (?). Actually from the looks of the video it looks like he is using about 10 amps!

I dig the song but my only complaint is no real lead guitar solo, more just riffs.

I've already posted some of this b4, but for those new to the thread if you are curious & want to hear more.....I consider them to be the most melodic hard rock band ever. Tim Christensen has an unbelievable feel for melody in his songwriting, singing and guitar playing.

TWO OF YOU - the greatest heavy guitar freakout ending in music history - a song I use to demo stereo equipment or show my stereo off to fellow headbangers:
    Two Of You

I WOULD IF I COULD - live - first single from their reunion album a few years ago, done live at some kind of award show:
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - I Would If I Could But I Can't [Live @ Sport Awards 2014] (HD)

LOVE AT SECOND SIGHT - a video single from the last album (they are big in Japan in addition to their huge status in Denmark)
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - Love At Second Sight

MIRROR MIRROR from TakRok club show - a throwaway song not on any of their albums (?). I love it though.
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - Mirror Mirror

BRAINLESS live - one of the singles from the last album, done live:
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - Brainless | Hele Danmark fejrer kronprinsen | DR1

The Danish "Stairway to Heaven" (Silverflame), with the guitar solo worthy of Zep's song, live during the 2010 reunion tour; from their debut album, a song Tim wrote when he was a teenager ferrchrissakes!
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - Silverflame

A live medley of songs from 2015:
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - Medley [Live DMA 2015]

GLORY - from the first album, the song that turned me onto them, fab riff and incredible solo, one that left my jaw on the floor first time I heard it, one which they now stretch out live with jamming & Tim never plays the solo the same way twice live:
    Glory

FORWARD IN REVERSE - title track from the last album
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy Forward in Reverse - 02 Forward in Reverse

A full show from a few months ago:
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - Live In Copenhagen 2019

A full show from "SMUKFEST" 2016 (probably my fave show by them - I probably have dozens of shows by them):
    Dizzy Mizz Lizzy @ Smukfest 06.08.2016 (full LIVE show)

I'll stop there. As anyone that has read my posts about them here already I could go on and on and on.....just search in this thread for my old posts with album reviews etc....

Fusionfan and carlwm like this.
  4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

1980: unburdened by the ravages of Satan's web and simply too much of, well, everything nor dread exposure to the literal torture of contemporary Pap via wireless, there's regular catharsis, all these years later, to be found by revisiting the ferric innards of Metal's mothership and poking around in some of the dustier cabinets beneath decks.

The finale of a record fairly wholly devoid of filler, this number has me whooping along to a classic Allom production and salivating over what at times be naught less than lovingly cast shadows of M. Schenker and elsewhere, breaks, licks, runs and wah that surely describe study much vested in the quads of Thin Lizzy College, Ironbridge.

kyouki, dmiller458, Purple and 7 others like this.
  6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Trillium! I don't see you around much, but every time I do your posts make my day.

I raise my beer horn to you, brother.

dmiller458 and Yam Graham like this.
  7. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Super thread, folks. I need to get into metal.

carlwm likes this.
  8. Trillmeister

Hail to thee, Anthraxium; long time nay sprechen. Managing to keep the false prophets (and deceivers) at bay?

Yam Graham and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Bringing salvation, punishment and pain one day at a time.

10. Trillmeister

:biglaugh:

Ha! I dunnalf miss those halcyon days of Herr Sheifter's Thread (you know, 'the thread of threads,' not dissimilar to Manowar's "King of Kings" but with marginally less furry boot.)

[​IMG]

"I said boots, not gloves Goddamit! (Anyway, it's gloves of Metal, not fur - I want the deceivers impaled by spikes - not stroking my arm like some bleedin' Persian cat, ffs!")

11. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

"Satellite" is the slow burn from On Through The Night - love the space between the instruments and the touch of psychedelia - a direction I wish they'd explore further.

Matthew Tate and Trillmeister like this.
  12. Trillmeister

Well I whacked on the follow up with its period Mutt Lange sonic thang and the result is nowt less than a mildly more dextrous 'DC vibe! Plus Joe Elliott who I've never much cared for, delivers a vocal which makes me perform a double take on several occasions; beautiful stuff which transports me back to the feelings of that fertile time (for purest Metal.)

13. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Great band I always mention to people as well. I'm looking forward to hearing more from them...

slipkid likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Falling squarely into the melodic hard rock niche, a new one from H.E.A.T - big hooks, big chorus, big everything 1984 style.

weekendtoy likes this.
  15. Trillmeister

Tygers of Pan Tang's fourth outing from 1982, The Cage, is a right old conundrum.

The utter gorge cleaving template set by Spellbound* probably created an expectation that could never be matched but you listen to tracks like 'Paris By Air' or their cover of 'Love Potion No. 9' and you think, no, this is fizzy stuff so push on until dawn.

Problem is, the rest of the album is a bit whiffy, frankly and it's made immeasurably worse by the inexplicable adoption of a drum synth which has the effect of crippling the Metal so badly it's actually quite difficult to persevere.

Equally to blame, is a recording quality so lamentable that it sounds like a chronically worn C90 played in Dobly (B) with a sense of tape drop outs all over the show.

The reason for this random assalt attack is the receipt of an OBI shod original issue CD which I'd been angling for over some period since my original LP had been feeling its age for a long time but even a good dose of unremastered, MCA Victoried digitisation offered no cure.

Yuck!

(* Sonically, this is a relative bullseye; raw, as hell and then some but it has enough pazazz to keep you addicted - just like those first two Def Leppard recordings.)

[​IMG]

Only productions forged in the fiery river running 'neath the bridge of death will do...

Yam Graham, carlwm and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool - nice to hear from a fellow believer. I did not catch on at first (a friend of mine made me a cassette mix tape of all kinds of stuff back in like 1994 that had both Silverflame and Glory on it) but they just did not register with everything else I am into/get into music wise.

Then one day I was listening to that tape in the car and heard the main riff & the guitar solo in Glory and totally flipped out. Took me 4-5 more YEARS until I was able to find any of their albums (they only had 2 studio albums out + Live in Japan & had already broken up by then) and it was only in a tiny record store in Dudley, UK that I found their albums (long story), and I must have listened to them 100-200 times in like 3 months. Have been hooked ever since.. I have a "holy trinity" of songwriters/guitarists/singers and right now Tim is right up there at the top (with Pete Townshend and Steven Wilson). I believe that if they only had not restricted their presence to Denmark/thereabouts (& also got huge in Japan thx to airplay from an influential DJ there), if they had toured the UK, USA, they would be as big or bigger than Pearl Jam or U2. Or Iron Maiden. Seriously.

I could go on and on but will stop there other than to say that I would love to go over to Denmark at some point to catch them live (I used to go over to the UK quite often for gigs/tours but that was back when I was not only younger but I had a good job paying me over twice what I make now). If I hit the lottery I will be over there on the first plane (or I will offer them $10million to do a tour over here)....

Fusionfan likes this.
  17. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Just bought my ticket for February! We've got Damon Johnson as opener instead of Last in Line.

Purplerocks and slipkid like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I love Last In Line but Damon Johnson is no slouch either. He's had a long career mostly under the radar but has made a lot of good music. I haven't heard his latest though but this reminds me I need to pick up what he's been doing since he left Black Star Riders. Might have 2 albums out since then?

If yer a Thin Lizzy fan his acoustic interpretation of Borderline is a thing of beauty...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I had the pleasure of seeing them last summer and it was great from beginning to end. Maybe I'm too Schenkerian for my own good because I wasn't very pleased with Vinnie Moore, but I don't hold that against him - he does his thing and I respect that. Mogg blew me away, though. He's lost absolutely nothing. Voice, humour and charisma all intact. He put on a great performance.

I agree with Purplerocks. Go see them if you have the chance.

slipkid and Purplerocks like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Hey folks. I am doing some Song by Song threads of my favorite albums. I plan to do UFO Force It within a few days. Comment if you get the time!
    [​IMG]

22. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I hope the new Kvelertak album comes out soon.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:goodie:

Sayeth I.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Paris By Air. What a song!

I still have my cherished 7" picture disc.

I haven't heard the rest of The Cage in an age. I remember enjoying it more than their earlier albums at the time. I should revisit it and see whether I agree with your summary, these days.

For Tygers fans, last year's Purser/Deverill album is a good listen.

Trillmeister likes this.