The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Listening to Metal is one thing but playing it?

The well know Mike Myers character before A. Cooper mode is duly assumed.

:edthumbs:

Matthew Tate and Rose River Bear like this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I would rather play so many other genres but metal on guitar. Metal like Priest and Megadeth takes too much concentration and chops for this old man. But I keep trying. :D

3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Totally agree on the chops, it takes me about an hour, better 1,5 to get back on track to playing metal on my Dean VMNT AoD :)

Thanks for clarifying about the Teles, those Elites are awesome and I'd buy one like yours if I had the desire haha)

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Mindcrime II is usually dismissed....especially after the truth came out about the recording sessions not really being the band.
    But I'm a big fan of it as well. My favorite part is If I Could Change It All-An Intentional Confrontation which I rank much higher than Suite Sister Mary.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I liked OMC 2 a lot

Curveboy likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

New Herman Frank track up...loving it!

Eye of the Storm

7. Trillmeister

Rnadom Saturday AM impulse thoughts: first from the racks was Riverdogs which is indeed Americana done so well I'm going to rename myself Hank; what sublime melodies.

Then, the new BÖC album; as well as being musically peerless, the sound quality is astonishing, pushing the stereo effects to '10' but also hanging audio's 3D imaging thing slot bang i'th'middle of the speakers - just fantastic. This recording lays waste all comers.

:cheers:

8. Trillmeister

Just played ‘Lakeside Park’ from my original ed. Caress Of Steel CD; oh!

Terry Brown’s production, as ever, soars.

What is it about the sound quality of so many recordings in the 70s that the albums are/were so utterly natural with pin-pointable, crystal clear instrumentation and crankability to demonstrate fullsome, natural dynamics and zero compression? Utterly sublime.

And just how bloody agog-inducing did Geddy sound in those days? That falsetto would wane just a few years later but at this point it was a revelation yet as recording technology allegedly improved his on-record lyrics became less decipherable.

Basically, total wowza.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It was a different philosophy compared to today where I find most rock/metal recordings sound very congested/compressed, dynamic range is non existent even though the format certainly allows for it. I've been going thru my vinyl lately and I'm often left stunned at how great a lot of these 70's-80's recordings sound compared to their digital counterparts which quite often sound flat/dead. It's not a format problem, it's a source/mastering problem.

kyouki, weekendtoy, MikeInFla and 4 others like this.
  10. Trillmeister

Here's a late 80s sluice of that which be termed Thrash; Overkill's 'Who Tends The Fire' from The Years Of Decay and the original CD I bagged, in 1989 due to my appreciation of the track 'Elimination' which for the connoisseur, slays with a furious abandon.

The production suffers that period nasal congestion which so blighted many contemporary, creedish releases but with some subtle tweaks to bass re-equalisation, it steps up most excellently.

11. Trillmeister

Dunno whether the following is a particularly relevant e.g. of what ye be speaking but a quick one-two just majorly highlighted the 70s v 80s thang: I went from an original (UK) CD release version of the opus containing Anthrax's 'Indians' (1986?) to a first gen Columbia CD (US import [at least to old Blighty]) of BÖC's 'Golden Age Of Leather' from Spectres, originally from 1977 and the variation in treatment necessarily meted out by my Yammy pre-amp's tone controls was marked.

Belladonna & co's exceptional mid 80s release is perfectly crankable but requires substantial fiddlage of the Nipponese frequency whatsits before you can recline to co-imbibe with the requisite Beaujolais Vicious Bastardo whereas the Krugman and Pearlman job is a simple case of 'source direct' and bosh! We're in the kill zone, Larry.

What the hell, it's all good, right?

Deuce66 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Ohhh, I love this. :goodie:

13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Ha! That track was one in a group of four that were my first ever contact with Metallica. I quickly got up to speed with their discography up to that point, but I remained ever so hooked on Sanitarium. How hooked? I was playing that song so much and at every opportunity, so that year in highschool my circle of friends just stopped calling me by my own name and would call me Sanitarium instead.

Trillmeister likes this.
  14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Caress Of Steel is an underrated early triumph in the career of a band with so many masterpieces.

It's also the album that all those people who accuse Neil Peart of overdrumming and never playing to serve the song have apparently never heard.

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Eden's Curse put up a new video that wasn't released from their last album...

Jericho

16. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Anybody have any recommendations for Metal acts with people of color in the band?*. Preferably not crazy extreme or Heavy Metal cheese. I’ve been on somewhat of a Metal kick lately and some of my most listened include Mastodon, Boris, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Electric Wizard, early Metallica and Sabbath, and that one King Gizzard album. Thanks!

*Please don’t respond if you take issue to this request for some reason.

Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

King's X
    Thin Lizzy
    Living Colour

19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The lines start to blur for me-- I was always a fan of heavy, hard rock, during the psych era and afterward, some of which has been reclassified as proto-metal. Leaf Hound aside, all those other early obscurities like Josefus, the first May Blitz album (really compared to Cream, not metal), Lucifer's Friend self-titled album were right up my alley. I like what I'd call "biker bar" music, which is not the same as the various mutations of what Metal is, but shares some attributes. I guess I draw the line at the Cookie Monster vocal parts and speed shredding.
    I only bought a good copy of the Metallica black album recently and enjoy it-- I remember how popular they were, but I was a few generations earlier, and didn't focus on them or a lot of the smaller sized acts. I do get a kick out of some of more outre efforts- Elvis Hitler's Disgraceland never fails to crack me up, but it's "psycho-billy" not metal. Ditto Opeth, for whom I first developed a fondness as a result of Damnation, and only later was able to go back to their earlier material in part because I knew some of the reference points Akerfeldt was tagging- Blackwater Park for example, which isn't really metal either. I guess I've skirted the genre these many years as a hard rock aficionado, something with melody and a hard edge but that cuts across a bunch of genres, including "punk" I guess -- why Bad Brains "i against i" is appealing to me.
    But that's also true of any genre in terms of innovators-- cutting new furrows rather than following the same track others have plowed. I'm always willing to listen and try new/old stuff. (I have all those early records, like Sir Lord Baltimore, Bang, Randy Holden, Blue Cheer, etc. but to me, though it has metal aspects, it's not "metal" in a strict sense of the genre taxonomy is it?)
    PS: I knew Vernon and Living Colour back in the day and saw them live many times when their original fame was still flourishing. They always got a kick of of the fact that I was such a Bad Brains fan being a suit at the time, who grew up in the burbs.

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Sound Barrier

21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Hirax

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Tony MacAlpine

slipkid, wdiv, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  23. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Sneezyachew likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

KXM

Gunfight

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I didn't think much of their debut, but Hirax's second album is prime 1986 thrash.

[​IMG]

Jeff Kent likes this.