The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

Nope :( Neither 40 Seasons or the box set has it. You have to buy the clean CD or get the Japan one with bonus tracks.

I don't have the clean CD either but keep an eye out for it when hunting the bins. I am sure it will show up at some point.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Glad I could turn you onto a "new" band Trill.

All their albums starting with Youngblood (2013) are good & similar sounding although this later one incorporates more of a Maiden vibe than those which have more of a Thin Lizzy vibe (neither of which is a bad thing). They have 3 other albums/EPs prior to Youngblood but nowhere near as good as how they gelled starting with Youngblood. I also highly recommend their live album Waiting for the Night which is a CD/blu-ray combo. At the time it came out I got it for less than $10 too! I don't think they tour here in the USA but believe they do in the UK so maybe you'll get a chance to see them in your backyard someday.

3. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

What strikes me most about Riot City is how they perfectly capture the relentless power of early eighties heavy metal - not an easy task. I'm thinking Priest, Queensryche, of course, but also Savage, early ICON, WASP, Witch Cross, Chateaux, and other lesser acts. The organic and dirty sound especially reminds of some of those Ebony albums. Pretty refreshing in this era of lifeless digital production that I don't even think of Riot City as retro but in fact blazing a new path. You can check out their excellent debut album here.

4. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Cheers, Dudeski.

I'm so grateful to you for this recommendation; this latest record is precisely the type of material that floats my creaking vessel, nowadays.

I was thinking how superior it is to say, the Smith/Kotzen album from last year.

It's derivation, absolutely but refined to some superheated concentration that blasts away doubts and again, the production is a marvel.

I'm after the material you suggest, like yesterday.
    :cheers:
    :edthumbs:

slipkid likes this.
  5. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

It's ridiculous that 40 Seasons didn't contain both Get the F Out and Beggar's Day, which would wrap things up nicely for those who owned one version or the other.

Beggar's Day is the far superior track of the two, but I like them both.

Pretty sure Slave to the Grind was my introduction to the world of being seriously annoyed at multiple versions containing different tracks.

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

[​IMG]

Saxon- Innocence Is No Excuse

I have always liked this album. It doesn’t get much attention as it’s not part of those first 4-5 classics they released but it has some good rocking tracks on it.

Anthrax, fretter, tinnox and 6 others like this.
  7. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Saxon - the most consistent band in metal. Every album is great in my opinion. Innocence included :)

Anthrax, kyouki, fretter and 4 others like this.
  8. noname74

My name is noname74 and I think Quiet Riot QRIII is a good overall album with a handful of great tracks and nowhere near the disaster people thought this was at the time. Change my mind. :D

[​IMG]

kyouki, Tarot Man, JakeKlas and 7 others like this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I agree. Has a bunch of good songs with my fave being Broken Heroes.

For the longest time I thought that girl on the cover was eating a bar of soap btw! Guess it is supposed to be an apple in keeping with the album title but the shape of it looks more like soap to me :oops:

kyouki, fretter and noname74 like this.
  10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I thought it was a bar of soap as well. She was getting the bar of soap because she had been a bad girl. :D

slipkid likes this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Eggs-actly. Or washing her mouth out. Perhaps inspired by Spinal Tap's Smell the Glove joke album cover hilarity.

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I re-listened to this recently...and honestly beyond The Wild and the Young it's pretty bad. The songs are just not there.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Hard Rock/Metal from Ukraine

fretter and Gus Tomato like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It had me before cookie monster came out to play...

fretter, weekendtoy and slipkid like this.
  15. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I've mentioned this before (maybe in another thread?), but I love this album.

kyouki, tinnox, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I finally got around to picking up the Rush Moving Pictures 40th set (3cd). The live material is fantastic. Highly recommended.
    Recorded a couple of days before the bulk of what was used for Exit... Stage Left (some of ESL is from the Permanent Waves tour), I think this sounds better overall and it is the complete show, as far as I am aware.

[​IMG]

Anthrax, slipkid, fretter and 5 others like this.
  17. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Absolutely destroys Exit Stage Left. Fantastico!!

tinnox, four sticks and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

anyone like dope, orgy, spineshank, endo, etc?

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  19. noname74

Too old for dope and orgies. :D

kyouki, Tarot Man, spacedyed and 2 others like this.
  20. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

21. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

More new Jorn:

Tarot Man and fretter like this.
  22. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Talking of Moving Pictures, I plonked on my first ed. CD of Hemispheres and it challenges my default position that the former is the best sounding Rush album.

Musically, the 1978 release feels like coming home; just wonderful.

23. noname74

Any fans of Machine Head here? I have the first three and have enjoyed them for a couple of decades but never went any further in their discography. Anything worth getting past those first three?

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I know ‘The Blackening’ is very highly regarded. I’ve tried to get into it, but can’t get past the vocals.

wdiv, Matthew Tate and noname74 like this.
  25. noname74

Did they go death metal? Those first three don’t have those kind of vocals..

Matthew Tate likes this.