The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

My Maiden England reissue hath arrived. I'm concerned because not only is it digitally remastered but it's remixed (!) by the Caveman (!!). This does not bode well. I will report back once I get around to listening. On the bright side, I scored Riot's 1982 Riot Live ep in tiptop shape for three bucks today.

2. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

It's Maiden, it's 1988 again, enough said, pure bliss...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin Shirley only spruced up the bonus track encores

[​IMG]

Anthrax, paddrino, ganma and 11 others like this.
  3. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’ve been tempted to seek the ‘Maiden England’ cd that came with a reissued vhs around 1994? But the ‘Maiden England ‘88’ cd whilst brickwalled to hell and back, does contain the full show and encores.
    Wonder why ‘88 was added to the title and the change of artwork? :shh:

4. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Remixed by The Enemy Öf Søund doth verily feel eminently akin to a particular kick in the nuts for those sated in the achingly sublime, originally peddled audio hollows of Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave and I suppose the singular sonic nectar aka SSOASS.

Anthrax and Gus Tomato like this.
  5. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

One issue I discovered with the Maiden England '88 reissue, in addition to some pops at the beginning of each side: The mastering volume is quite low. I have to turn it up twice as loud as my usual listening volume to get full equalization and hear the details. This is fatiguing. I only made it through the first disc and will attempt the second one today. Maybe the cd version is different.

Mordax and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

The cd is a blaster. I have it at a much more ‘period-correct’ volume via AACGain on my iTunes

Edit: With the proper original artwork of course! ;)

Anthrax, Crimson Witch and fretter like this.
  7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Give 'em Hell - Witchfynde

8. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Absolutely! These days, if forced by gun to head, I’d take the latter half of the catalog and easily enjoy it. St. Anger remains a problematic listen but everything else remains fresh to these ears as opposed to the legendary classic run of Kill thru Justice/Black.

Matthew Tate and Trillmeister like this.
  9. Stormrider77

Brilliant band, can’t wait for the third album.

Matthew Tate, Curveboy and noname74 like this.
  10. Stormrider77

Amazing band, catching them in January at St. Vitus in Brooklyn

Cornfed Hick likes this.
  11. Stormrider77

I mean, it’s kinda more lip-syncing it and letting the crowd sing the chorus

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Stormrider77

Yes I’ve been trying to talk about it on the official Facebook page and got suspended for the negative press. It’s pretty sad the massive backing tracks and lip-syncing taking place and it’s sad to see the Facebook page just in denial or excusing it. Let alone the tour didn’t match up to his Back to the Beginning video where he made it sound like it would be an old-school setlist and stage setup. I was going to attend Montclair until I saw the “performance” and the just inexcusable setlist of 10 songs, a few of which are just medleys. Man I love WASP on record but live, I see why they haven’t been a stateside presence.

Sentient Six and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Stormrider77

There are easily viewable videos live where it’s clear he isn’t singing in the traditional sense.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Trillmeister

Oh, Bruce, I kneel before thee and shall forever more!

The ninth track lifted from his last solo flight - 'Believil' - is so entrancingly beautiful I'm not entirely sure my dilithium filters can withstand the onslaught.

First up, this record sits alongside AOB as BD's joint sound quality jackpot; it is flawless and the apotheosis of avoiding the Yammamoto Grazziano, much villified 'modern sound.' I mean, it emphatically is modern sounding but in a way that's crankable, distinct and completely 'music-centric.'

Thence to the actualities of what's going down and instrumental masterclasses aside be what is arguably one of our chap's most thoroughbredded workouts: man, the bloke is on chuffing FIRE!

The menace, inflective selectivity at hand, the build, subtleties, hooks and melodic snakings; all showcasing Metal's primary vocal still on active duty upon this plane (of existence/reality.)

Holy sh1t, it's one of those most reverred items - a truly spine tingling exposé of purest, rarefied Metal - so fine it reassures you of your oath to The Creed.

I could weep (with joy) so instead, I'll pour some more of that wicked stuff and play it again except this, louder: wildlife, beware...

[​IMG]
    All hail The King.

Anthrax, weekendtoy, slipkid and 4 others like this.
  15. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

The DVD sounds decent enough to me in stereo. If I want analog sound though I pop in the original vhs (no tv hooked up, it currently is just a big hifi tape deck). I do like the additional tracks they put in place on the DVD though. I saw the deal on the vinyl at DD/Walmart but didn't bite having 2 good versions already. It sure is a pretty set with the picture disc vinyl.

16. Trillmeister

I've sent a carrier pidgeon to the bearded bloke way up North with a note begging for some wining canines this Yule. Not terribly convinced by Adrian at the mic but RK is a different matter altogether so him sort of solus intrigues me.

17. Trillmeister

Also, the Dead Daisies debut: overlooked? I think possibly; I bloody love the Jon Stevens vocal on this album.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Trillmeister

If I'm ever Pope, prepare for instant canonisation.
    :cheers:

Mordax likes this.
  19. Trillmeister

Not long before the underside of the table becomes my view till the morn but let it be said - nay, sung, from the rooftops - Megdeth's 'Holy wars... The Punishment Due' followed by its immediate stablemate, 'Hangar 18;' wow.

Just a planet wobbling, tundra cleaving, Nørse God-baiting WOW!

Makes this illusory projection commonly termed life immeasurably richer.

Dave - you am be The Hombre.

Nite.:thumbsup:

Anthrax, weekendtoy, Munger74 and 6 others like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have yet to pick this up for fear of disappointment.

fretter likes this.
  21. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

We all know, but may reasonably deny, that intensity and bombast aren't limited to hard rock & metal. Anywho, this song features members of Angel:

Mordax likes this.
  22. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Riot - Riot Live, ep

Rhett Forrester sounding like a young god. Maybe he was no Guy Speranza, but he sounds like Vince Neil in his prime here. The guitar work is sublime. Sandy Slavin on drums.

[​IMG]

23. Trillmeister

I thought you were one of the advocates who pointed me in this direction originally; evidently not.

Why would you be so concerned?

24. ganma

ganma Senior Member

She is a hottie, aye? I have a few albums from the 80s and 90s. I'm especially partial to Call of the Wild, though her albums are pretty consistent in quality.
    [​IMG]

25. That's my fav album by Lee too.

ganma likes this.