The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Never heard Kiss' Black Diamond, as I can't stand the band, they're so obnoxious, but I'll give it a listen later tonight.

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  2. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

To their credit, on their Bandcamp page, they credit Paul Stanley with the music--I don't think they're trying to get one over on any of us. I assume KISS did not sign off on it though, ha.

I love KISS--not sure what you have heard and don't like, but maybe "Black Diamond" will do it for you. Such a good tune.

3. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Every time I've seen either Simmons or Stanley being interviewed, they come across extremely sleazy and obnoxious, so I took instant dislike toward the band, and didn't even care to check them out when someone has linked or praised them.

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Looking for some help in regards to Armoured Saint, would anyone recommend the newest album from 2020?

5. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

It's very good, maybe their best one since the 1991 Symbol of Salvation, but not as good.

6. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Definitely!!
    i'd highly suggest checking out all of their albums, such a great and highly underrated band!
    and if you ever get a chance to see them live, DO IT :)

Vinyl Fan 1973 and weekendtoy like this.
  7. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

I prefer their 80s output, especially Delirious Nomad, Raising Fear and Symbol of Salvation, but their later output is very strong too. It's great to see "old bands" still putting out great new music.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I find that most times you have to separate the art from the artist.
    Most have said fairly dumb things at one point or another.

kyouki, fretter, slipkid and 3 others like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Heads up Vanden Plas fans...

New band: All My Shadows

Via Facebook: "The idea of recording and releasing some rock songs is something I've been thinking about for a while. While composing, I kept coming up with songs that have the spirit of the '80s. As a big fan of bands from that era, like Whitesnake, Ozzy Osbourne, Dokken, and the like, I still have a huge love for music from that time. The goal was to transport that classic music into the here and now. Hard rock with a powerful production, peppered with modern musical elements," says Lill.

Line-Up:
    Stephan Lill - Guitars
    Andy Kuntz - Vocals
    Markus Teske - Keyboards
    Franky R. - Bass
    Andreas Lill - Drums

First single: Silent Waters

fretter and weekendtoy like this.
  10. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

True, I do that most of the time, I might give KISS another chance one of these, you never know.

11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Definitely hear the Dokken influence!

12. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

As ever it's entirely subjective but I adore them; ultimate practitioners of 'less-is-more' in terms of releases but generally worth it.

The debut is a beauty, post-'NWOBHM' type solidity and like so many opening salvos of the early 80s, far better sounding than subsequent albums until the Millennium and beyond.

I find everything after this until 2000's Revelation merely 'good' whereas from here until now (well, 2020's Punching The Sky) the exploding melodic maturity and songs' structural fascination broadly addictive.

They seem to possess oodles of integrity and are a band 'very comfortable in their own skin.'

If I'm honest, La Raza, Win Hands Down and the said 2020 album are on pretty much constant rotation in these parts; the best of each have become some of my stone cold favourite, go-to Metal slugs.

Again, it's entirely a matter of personal taste but I think they're amongst the best of the best; quite magnificent.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

16. Tom Holiday

Tom Holiday Forum Resident

I understand the Kiss hate. I really do.

But I will defend their first two albums. There are some great, almost glammy, fun songs on the debut and Hotter Than Hell, IMO.

But that was from when they were still in part a hungry New York street band with a gimmick.

They soon became mostly a marketing firm more than a musical group, but I recommend listening to their first two with open ears. It's not earthshaking, groundbreaking work, but there's some cool stuff.

Granted, if you are younger and have been deeply into music for awhile, it may well seem more generic or silly than it did in the 70s

17. Tom Holiday

Tom Holiday Forum Resident

Yes. Simmons in particular seems a vile human being

18. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I know I'll be in the minority this one, and you can call me a "capitalist pig" all day long (I hope we can still be friends and have a beer if we ever bump into each other at a show some day) - but I kind of respect Kiss' "hustle" with getting out their merch and making a lot of filthy lucre.

I'll be the first to admit that a part of me winces inside when I read that Rush is selling their own branded hot mustard sauce. And didn't Gene Simmons market something similar to "condoms with a Kiss logo" some years ago?

Yeah, I get that its gross (crass is probably a better descriptor than gross here), and I can give or take most memorabilia (I prefer t shirts and physical copies of the CD/album over anything else), but I've know several people in my life who look forward in yearning - even PINING and borderline BEGGING for new merch to be released by their favorite bands.

I doesn't get me off, but more power to my friends who seem to only live for their favorite bands next merch release. I can imagine a world where free markets are less plentiful and vital, and then I can see some of my friends not wanting to live anymore. And that saddens me.

Why should I elevate myself above my friends who live their lives for the next big merch release from their favorite bands? Am I somehow better because I'm "smart" enough to only pay for new physical releases? Heck, a few of my friends even think I'm a sucker for shelling out dough on physical media still, LOL!

So I give Kiss, Rush, Iron Maiden, Snoop Dogg, and other artists/icons a pass when they go for the crass capitalist filthy lucre. Its perhaps better than the alternative system.

I guess another good comparison would be: what if Rudy Sarzo's parents decided to remain in Cuba, and Rudy became part of that system and took on a Civil Servant/Government gig under the auspices of the Castro regime --- how many great bands/projects would we metalheads and rockhounds be without if Sarzo's family didn't choose to escape to a "freer" market?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  19. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I lost a ****-ton of friends on other forms of social media (over the past few years) due to not taking the "mainstream" stand on certain things, so I tread lightly and with caution when these subjects come up, LOL

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Joe Bonamassa takes this to extreme heights (or lows IMO). Not just things like shirts or hats or scarves, but you name it he probably sells it - glassware, sunglasses, shovels, bags of joe dirt, balloons, tanks of helium, wristwatches, wall clocks, pizza cutters, ice picks, can openers, nailclippers, oven mitts, flashlights, toothbrushes, pacemakers, tazers, dog whistles, catnip, aquarium pumps, yo-yos, cupcake tins, etc etc (OK I made that entire list up but at the same time nothing would surprise me, he sells so much crap unrelated to music or himself it is laughable)....

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Simmons is a jack@ss, especially latterly. Almost deliberately so, loving the PR being objectionable gets him. Stanley can be weirdly prissy in the press. Neither seem self aware.

But I’d extend your suggestion to their first six studio albums, or at least add “Rock And Roll Over” to the first two. It is great stuff. Simple hard rock that holds up.

22. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I always give credit to Gene for being upfront about his desire to make money and market the heck out of Kiss. He doesn’t try to hide it behind some noble idea or vision... it’s just blatantly about the money.

And I don't doubt his upbringing, coming from another country, and having some initial struggles plays a big part in that.

Curveboy and ian christopher like this.
  23. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I have no issues with it at all. It certainly makes for a good joke (which KISS themselves are in on, anyway). I really have little desire to own a million different things with my favorite band's logo on it, outside of shirts or physical media (ok, I do like action figures and skateboard decks too!), but if people didn't seem to want and buy this stuff, KISS or any other band would not make it. People have the choice to buy something or not. If you want the thing, buy it, and if you don't, don't. Everyone wins.

I feel the same way about countless comps/best of's/reissues. I rarely buy all this stuff, even if it has an extra song or two, unless that new material in itself makes it worth the purchase price. I don't need a new KISS greatest hits comp and I'm not buying one. If someone wants it they can buy it, but it they don't want it, it's on them and only them if they begrudgingly buy it because the KISS logo is on it. No one's forcing anything on you.

24. BS101

BS101 Iommic Life Complete

Kiss merch gets you coming and going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Seems like either a notable drop in stature for Buckcherry or quite a jump for Skid Row. Inclined to lean more towards the former, Buckcherry has been relegated to co-headlining with Skid Row? Unthinkable a few years ago during their hey day.