The Official "Apple Digital Masters / Mastered for iTunes" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Apr 19, 2014.

1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

There's the first Keane album on SACD but that's probably the closest we'll get to that, other than vinyl.

2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky 2014 remaster is in MFiT!

Froachie, lbangs and GetHappy!! like this.
  3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Santana's catalogue is up!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Froachie likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Will someone let me know if they add Fleetwood Mac's Mirage? In fact if anyone remasters it let me know!

5. Bobby Morrow

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Linda Ronstadt titles? I'm thinking Mad Love and Living In The USA specifically...

JimC likes this.
  6. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

I just noticed that mono version of Dusty in Memphis is available as Mastered for iTunes, but neither of the stereo versions is. The mono version is being teased in HDTracks' new releases email this week.

GetHappy!! and lbangs like this.
  7. Terry

Terry Senior Member

On the iPhone, I cannot find the mastered for iTunes link in the iTunes Store. Where is it?

8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

James Brown's 20 All-Time Greatest Hits is up, which makes me very happy...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

bonnerj and Froachie like this.
  9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

It doesn't appear to exist on the iPhone.

10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Have you tried clicking this? (I no longer have an iPhone, so I can't test it...)

For what it is worth, they don't seem to update it except to add bestsellers to the Recent Releases category. At least the Classic Albums have the exact same albums that have been there since the page was created.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

11. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

I've noticed there are two versions in the iTunes store, one mastered for iTunes, the other not.

lbangs likes this.
  12. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Yeah, I've noticed this is the case for several of these albums. I suspect some labels often don't bother deleting the originals at first when they add the newer ones.

Buyers beware!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

13. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

Indeed!

lbangs likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Have you heard any of these? I have the AF and MOFI CDs, so not really looking for the early albums, but would like stuff from Living In The USA/Mad Love onwards.

15. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I bought three of these - Heart Like a Wheel, Prisoner in Disguise, and Canciones de Mi Padre. While you're not going to want to trade in your AFs (I don't have any of the MoFis), I think all three sound great.

I'm afraid I haven't heard the Mastered for iTunes Living in the U.S.A. or Mad Love, which is why I didn't respond to your earlier questions, but the Spanish-language album is seven years after Love, and I really enjoy the sound on it.

I hope that helps!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

It does help. Thanks. I'll probably take a chance on Mad Love first. I had the Japanese 2010 remaster of Living In The USA, which is a little bright. Perhaps the MFI edition will rectify this...

lbangs likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Having never downloaded any MFI titles, does anyone know if you have to do anything differently. Change the settings etc? It might seems like a daft question to those in the know. Of which I'm not! I was planning to download an album and then burn it to CD. Is the process still the same?

18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Nothing's different except the mastering.

lbangs and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

I thought so. Had to ask. Even if it did appear foolish! Thanks anyway.

lbangs likes this.
  20. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Exactly the same. The MFiT files are no different to any other files you might have bought on iTunes since 2007 - 256Kb/s AAC. MFiT differ only in how they are created (relative to non MFiT iTunes music files) prior to being offered for sale on the iTunes store.

You can burn MFiT tracks and albums to CD-R audio exactly as you can with any other iTunes music purchase.

EDIT: As Paul H said, only not as succinct :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Thank you. One day I'll get to grips with this downloading malarkey. I fought it all the way up to now!

Marzz and coffeetime like this.
  22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Edit: as coffeetime said, only much more eloquently :)

coffeetime likes this.
  23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Is "Star Star" from the Mastered For iTunes Goats Head Soup by the Stones the original version or has it been edited? Thanks.

24. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Instead of calling it "Mastered For Itunes" they might as well call it "Mastered For Drunk." Because that's about the only time I am going to be out there buying downloads of stuff I already have. I know they sound pretty good (heard a couple of Zep) but still, to my mind it's like the music version of a hotel mini bar. Desperation only. If I'm away from my main stereo, need something for a road trip, etc. etc.

mikedifr0923 and Red like this.
  25. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

There are many threads around discussing the merits of downloads, etc.

I gather this one is for discussing specific Mastered for iTunes releases or to answer questions about the program, so a general gripe about the concept probably doesn't really belong here.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs