The Official Blu-ray/HD DVD Discussion Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Ben, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

A brand new Part 2.

Enjoy!!!

2. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

3. GoldenBoy

RE: DTS-HD

I wanted to correct my typos in my previous reply in 'Part 1' of this thread where I said:

I just realised my mistake as I was looking through the thread. Obviously, I meant Kbps, not Mbps. :eek: :)

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

It's a good thang you fixed that. I was raising a posse to come after you....:p

5. GoldenBoy

A posse made up of a bunch of John Wayne Blu-ray discs no doubt. ;)

6. GoldenBoy

Panasonic has now posted the proper 2.0 firmware on their Global Support web site along with an apology for North American customers (apparently, the proper file was available for Asia/Oceania).

I am in the process of downloading it now. :)

7. Rachael Bee

I got both Clint Eastwoods and Howard the Duck on horseback ridin' with me....:p

8. GoldenBoy

I installed the new Firmware update and so far, so good. I'm about to put in the Legends of Jazz BD as my first test disc of the TrueHD decoding. :D

9. Rachael Bee

Goldenone, is that the only BD with True HD so far? Here, I have 100+ BD's and I don't think I have a single one with True. My only music title is Pat Methany and I just checked it, no True.

10. GoldenBoy

No, the Nine inch Nails BD has TrueHD and I think I heard somewhere that Flags of our Fathers is also going to be TrueHD.

11. Rachael Bee

Mr. Gold, I'll proably become a flag waver if that's the case....:)

12. GoldenBoy

Not so fast. It may be Letters from Iwo Jima that is the one to have the TrueHD soundtrack. One of the two is supposedly going to be TrueHD. We'll have to wait until either they are actually released, or the specs for each title is released. :)

13. Rachael Bee

Hola, Goldenone! I think Flags is gonna be Warner and maybe True...? I think Letters From...is gonna be a Paramount release? It would be news if it had True more so than the other. I don't like NIN enough to buy their disc. I'll proably buy the first BD that I remotely want to watch with it though. I'd take either Iwo Jima film for sure. :)

14. GoldenBoy

Actually, Letters is Warner and Flags is Dreamworks/Paramount. So, Most likely Letters would be TrueHD, I would think, based on past release history. Speaking of NIN, I watched that BD the other day for the first time since the Firmware update. It sounded great. Somehow, the Eliot Scheiner 5.1 mix seemed more discreet in TrueHD than when I listened in DD. Sounds stood out more distinctly in their places. It really is a good disc with a great mix and great performance.

15. GoldenBoy

Rachael,

It's just about been confirmed that Letters from Iwo Jima will have TrueHD. The Man Room has pictures up of the front and back of the disc, and the back definitely shows a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. :wave:

I already have a pre-order in for both Letters and Flags at Amazon, along with a few other titles. :)

Iwo Jima

16. Rachael Bee

I have both preordered too. Is this the first Blu movie with True? I'm anxious to test the water here. Thanks for the help... :)

17. GoldenBoy

I do believe it may very well be the first movie on Blu-ray with TrueHD, yes. :)

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Local store here has a Panny sale going on. $200 off of the $1299.99 price on the DMP-BD10K. 90 days same as cash.

At this point the universal players are more interesting to me though.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I will jump into the HD market... I get my first LCD tv soon.

I bought a Samsung tv... review here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/

but I don't know what player I should buy.... Blue-ray OR HD DVD.

Any recommendations for me...... thanks!!!

20. Rachael Bee

Claus, you just had to ask.... eh....:) You might wanna wait a few months and get a gander at the Samsung uni or LG's second uni that allegedly will have full HD-DVD functionality. It's hard to recommend either format whole-heartedly yet. They both have their virtues and shortcomings.

The least expensive thing you could do is get HD-DVD from Toshiba. I like the Blu-ray players better but they cost more. I'm sorry I cannot elaborate more for you but I just got called for an important matter. Later.....

21. vibes

vibes Forum Resident

I would look to see which of your favorite movies are available on which formats, and then go with the format that offers the most content that you prefer. I have found both HD DVD and Blu-ray to offer excellent and similar quality, so content should really be the deciding factor.

22. GoldenBoy

In PS3 news:

The latest PS3 firmware update has not only added DVD upscaling, as you all may have heard, but it has also added 1080p/24 output. :eek:

23. Rachael Bee

....now, if Sony could give the PS3 more audio options, they'd really make some folks totally happy.

24. GoldenBoy

I think the only thing left for them to add is DTS-HD HR/MA decoding. It's done TrueHD decoding from the start and SACD playback. Maybe the one drawback is it pretty much requires you to have an A/V receiver with HDMI that can accept multichannel PCM. If only they'd seen fit to include analogue multichannel outs in addition to the HDMI 1.3, the PS3 would be 100% complete. What is is proving itself to be, however, is future proof.

25. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

And it looks FANTASTIC on my non-1080p Pioneer Plasma that supports 24fps/72hz playback. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.