The Official MAGMA (& Christian Vander) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plan9, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I found the live boxed set to be the better of the two because some of the studio material is very much of its time and is best approached through the prism of a more recent performance. The version of M.D.K. from the Trianon (also available on the Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogy DVD) is fabulous and - of course - probably the band's most famous work. But you can't really go far wrong just as long as you don't start with Merci!

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I agree.
    The live version of MDK at the Trianon should be your starting point. Or K.A, the studio album. Just for the sake of the sound quality of the recordings/mixes (and the relative simplicity of the compositions).
    Then you can go back in time and enjoy all of their outputs. :)

(And should you want to complete your collection of studio albums, these are the one missing from the the Studio box:

-Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré (my favorite)
    -Félicité Thösz
    -Rïah sahïltaahk
    -Slag tanz
    -Zëss

)

Sordel likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I think the Trianon recordings are fantastic, but why start with MDK rather than work your way through the whole trilogy? It does build up to that final frenzy, after all.

Hundazir Strabehn likes this.
  4. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I know, but it might be a bit too much to absorb all three pieces in one shot, especially when you're not familiar with the band.
    MDK is, imho, the most accessible of the three. (And that's how I discovered Magma ;) ).

Plan9 likes this.
  5. Hundazir Strabehn

Hundazir Strabehn Kobaïan spoken here

In spite of not being a King Crimson fan I have relented and bought a ticket for the Magma/Crimson gig at Juan les Pins on the 16th.

I am also booked into a hotel where "some of the band are staying"...

6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Just out of curiosity, what is it about King Crimson that you don’t like?

7. Hundazir Strabehn

Never got into them. Too busy listening to Magma, Gong and the like.

8. R. Totale

Seriously, if you're going to see them soon don't start now. Just go and take it in live. Aside from some melodies it will be nothing like anything else you could sample before then, anyway. I never saw KC, but have seen Fripp a couple of times and I think you'll be glad you did.

KCLizard likes this.
  9. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Well, I have noticed certain aversion towards King Crimson among the fans of avant-garde wing of progressive rock.

The relatively high profile of Robert Fripp and his undertakings, also his business and marketing savviness, seem to annoy some fans (and some members) of other avant-prog bands who feel that Robert Fripp/King Crimson have been unjustly overshadowing their peers on that field.

10. R. Totale

Consider that when Bruford joined KC, the other members were wondering about hooking up with "that rich pop drummer from Yes".

11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Being rich and famous certainly attracts more attention. There's a reason why Bruford was regularly featured in drum/gear mags and Vander, Cutler or Pyle were not.

12. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I have the
    Köhnzert Zünd box set, I just listened to the albums in the order they are to be found in the box set when I bought it. Great purchase, you will like it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Mirror Image likes this.
  13. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

If you like so much Magma then you might go to Juan Les Pins on July 16th , KC will play on the same evening with Magma. A very good opportunity in my own view. Both bands are celebrating this year their 50th anniversary Kudos to both of them.

If I was not living on the other side of the Atlantic, I will have surely tried to see both bands on the same evening either in Lyon or at Juan Les Pins, I still was able to see Magma in 2017 in Montreal. I am one of the lucky fews who had that opportunity here.

14. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

BTW is there any of you who have bought cds from seventh records and have it shipped in North America? How long should you expected to wait? How well the items are packaged? I would like to bought the Live at Marquee concert + The Bruxelles 140 concert, but from Amazon there is only the third party sellers which I do not trust. Thanks in advance for answering these questions if thta is possible.

15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Very good to read, @KCLizard! :righton:

16. Hundazir Strabehn

Just back from Juan Les Pins. Magma were great with the sound much better than the Paris show. They played Kohntarkosz and then the TH medley with the three extra lady vocalists that were in Paris coming on for the Wurdah Itah section and MDK. There was no encore piece. Apparently a ten minute clip of them will be on French tv today (wednesday).

The venue was quite nice right next to the beach but spoilt by a couple of pine trees in front of the right hand video screen which spoilt my view and that of some people to the right of me who probably couldnt see either the screen or much of the stage. There was also an extremely irritating and quite noticeable electronic buzzing noise which I later decided was a bird scaring device. It stopped when they played MDK as it was quite dark then.

I didn't stay for King Crimson - they played a section of In The Court of The Crimson King as part of their sound check and I decided that as this was one of only three tracks by them that I could recognise I wasn't going to hang around. It was noticeable that during the sound checks for both bands that the security people clamped down extremely firmly on people taking photographs or videos. This included the husband of one of the lady vocalists and even explaining to the scurity woman didn't have much effect. No photos. This was emphasised during the preamble to KC coming on when we were told not to take photos or videos or any kind of recording. By this time I was on my way out.

So, that's Magma for me until the UK gigs in October. In the meantime after some more French gigs they then head off to Japan in September. The 2020 gigs continue to trickle out with the latest one announced being in St Etienne. No sign of any US/Canada gigs as yet. I could do with a return trip to Toronto and New York aftr the 2016 tour.

I stayed in a hotel near the station in Juan Les Pins, which I had been informed some of the band were staying in. I was just about to finish my breakfast this morning and check out when various of their stage crew arrived with much laughing and shaking of hands and hugs.

puelche and Plan9 like this.
  17. Dana5140

Dana5140 Well-Known Member

New here, long-time fan. Thought people would want to see JLP video.;

18. R. Totale

Thanks for posting, lots of fun! I loved the Vander vocal feature and seeing the Ladies Auxiliary groovin' to MDK.

19. Hundazir Strabehn

Was this taken from seat G39? The grey haired bloke you see occasionally I think is me.

puelche likes this.
  20. R. Totale

By the way, who were the ladies? I thought it might be Julie in the center but not sure.

21. Hundazir Strabehn

No, Julie couldn't make it. These are three of the four additional vocalists from the Zess album (and Paris). The dark haired lady on the left is the very lovely Laura Guarrato, in the middle is Sandrine Destefanis, and the blond lady on the right is Sylvie Fisichella. The three of them are based in Nice, which is why there were here. They also sing in a group called Baby Doll.

22. R. Totale

Well, I sure enjoyed their contribution. It had to take a lot of rehearsal to memorize and nail all the vocal parts in the TH suite, hope they get a chance to use it a few more times. Part of the charm of the Trianon set is the expanded vocal squad.

23. Hundazir Strabehn

Oh yes, I agree. In fact I much prefer them to the brass section.

24. Dana5140

Dana5140 Well-Known Member

I suspect that Herve had to recommend these singers to Christian- since Herve's band Celestial Q-Tips does acapella work. I do wish, though, that they had captured all of Kohntarkosz, which to me is the mightiest composition ever recorded. Saw it live twice, in Chicago over a period of literally 16 years (1999 and 2015- in 2016 they did not play Kohntarkosz). I have a copy of the 1999 show, though. That was my first time seeing them live.

Shameless self-promotion. I wrote the following: Sea of Tranquility - The Web Destination for Progressive Music!

25. Hundazir Strabehn

Stella and Francis Linon also live in the Nice area so may also have come across these ladies.