Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The Official MAGMA (& Christian Vander) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plan9, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer Thread Starter

From the couple I have heard, yes they are too compressed and have a uniformly darker tonality, but not smoother or more analog-sounding, just boomy, muddy, thick, boxy. They don't actually improve on depth, resolution or imaging, they don't breathe more... It's a bit puzzling why they have chosen to go a US engineer who seems specialized in Metal bands for the remastering.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    KCLizard likes this.
  2. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Nice version of Zombies, music starts approx 2:42

3. Plan9

Really like the new lineup

4. fRa

Yes, and Jimmy Top on bass ( son of Jannick Top)

Plan9 likes this.
  5. Hundazir Strabehn

Hundazir Strabehn Kobaïan spoken here

A couple more gigs have been officially announced for next year with a third one on the way (Melle).

1st October Melle
    16th October Six Fours Les Plage
    19th October Valence

Plan9 likes this.
  6. Plan9

A nice introductory guide for newcomers!

Hundazir Strabehn likes this.
  7. Hundazir Strabehn

So, what do we think will appear on the forthcoming AKT19 release? A 2020 show?

8. Plan9

I wouldn't mind that; when I saw them live earlier this year, it was in the top 3 concerts of my life.

Hundazir Strabehn likes this.
  9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just to crosspost, over the last couple of days I've reviewed the five Mythes et Legendes DVDs over on another thread.

Plan9 likes this.
  10. Hundazir Strabehn

11. Hundazir Strabehn

The announcement of a January release of a CD reissue of the 3 albums RETROSPEKTIW I-II-III with a bonus, has generated many questions and assumptions. This bonus is not an excerpt from the concerts but a completely unpublished version, recorded in the studio in January 1979, one of the tracks on one of the 3 albums and is RETROVISION, whose title at that time was still Attahk,

Season's greetings to all my Kobaian friends out there

jay.dee and Plan9 like this.
  12. Plan9

Magma and Seventh Records are now on Bandcamp! > MAGMA

This is great news beacause it means you can stream the new remasters, and, if you like them, download them in lossless sound (hopefully in Hi-Res?), or order physical media. I think all the official albums and lives are available.

jay.dee, Hundazir Strabehn and fRa like this.
  13. efam

efam Forum Resident

Any comment on the new remastering ?
    (Especialy comparing to the previous one on "köhnzert zünd" ?)

14. fRa

See post 701!

Plan9 likes this.
  15. Plan9

To be fair my opinion was based on the couple remasters I have heard, there have been many more since then. All of them being on Bandcamp will facilitate the sound comparisons for sure.

fRa likes this.
  16. Hundazir Strabehn

Prophecy Productions

As a first teaser offering a hint at the amazing things to come in our 25th year with PROPHECY PRODUCTIONS, we are proud to reveal that we have teamed up with legendary French prog-rockers
    MAGMA
    - the inventors of Zeuhl - for a future collaboration!
    More details in due time …

Prophexy Productions have signed two legendary prog musicians, British solo artist Arthur Brown and French outfit Magma. New details regarding Magma will be revealed in the near future, while Brown’s signing was a result of a joint agreement made with Magnetic Eye Records.

An influential figure to shock rock and glam figures such as Alice Cooper, King Diamond, Kiss, Peter Gabriel and Marilyn Manson, Brown is renown for unique stage presence and style. His banshee scream would also go on to inspire a number of heavy metal vocalists.

“I am delighted to be signing with Prophecy and Magnetic Eye. I have chosen to work with these labels, because they believe in artist development and are therefore interested in the artist’s vision of the direction of the music and overall aesthetic,” Brown said in a statement. “They are adventurous companies. We have already started developing ideas of how we can work together.”

Truly unique down to their core, Magma was most active in the 1970s, where they sang in a fictional language called Kobaïan, which was created by the band’s drummer and composer Christian Vander. The band were mainly active in the 1970s, but after a nearly two decade long hiatus, they returned in 2004, with the release of K.A (Köhntarkösz Anteria).

Russell brought his debut album The Crazy World of Arthur Brown live to the United States for the first time since 1969 during a 2017 tour. Magma performed live at the Regent Theater in Los Angeles, California, back in 2016.

Also there is a user on Youtube called 'From Kobaia with love' who has started posting bootleg audio recordings of Magma from the early to mid nineteen seventies. Might be of interest to the completionists amongst you.

Plan9 likes this.