The Official MAGMA (& Christian Vander) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plan9, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Hundazir Strabehn

Hundazir Strabehn Kobaïan spoken here

Magma are coming to the UK next June (London 17-18th June and Manchester 19th June).

Too much to hope that they will also be coming to Scotland. There's been a further band member change with Sandrine Destefanis being replaced by Caroline Szymkowiak-Indjein.

Plan9 and fysyf like this.
  2. Hundazir Strabehn

The London dates are at the Islington Garage and the Manchester one is at the Band on The Wall. Tickets for both go on sale at 1000 am Friday 24th September

Plan9 likes this.
  3. Hundazir Strabehn

tickets bought!

fysyf likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer Thread Starter

jay.dee, fysyf, Sordel and 1 other person like this.
  5. Plan9

Hundazir Strabehn and fysyf like this.
  6. Graham2

Graham2 Well-Known Member

Well a fine concert here in Lille tonight - go and see the new line up if you can - they really are exciting! Started with a brand new number by Thierry. Very Magma, edgy and clever. Great interplay between guitar, keyboards and Jimmy Top’s excellent bass. I like I must return but you could see a few people bristle. Another jazzy new number followed by a stupendous Mekanik and an encore of the Night We Died which was lovely
    I think this formation will just get better and better - already pretty fantastic

Plan9, fysyf and jay.dee like this.
  7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Just discovered my (original MPO) pressings of 2 and Mekanik Kommandoh are now unplayable. Not disc rot, like PDO, but what appears to be label ink eating its way through to the playing side, like Disque Americ.

If you have any first CD pressings, better check 'em. And then be prepared to buy new copies.

8. Plan9

Thanks for the heads-up.

9. kaszpar

kaszpar Forum Resident

Stella Vander gave an interview about a new Magma album in the works, and the new material has already been previewed on recent live dates as you probably have already heard. Release date is set around spring 2022. Seems very interesting, as this seems to be the first album in many decades to contain material written by other members besides C. Vander. According to Stella the new album would contain three pieces by Vander, one by vocalist Hervé Aknin, one by pianist Simon Goubert and one by keyboardist Thierry Eliez. If I recall correctly the previous album with significant contributions from someone else besides Vander was 1976's Üdü Wüdü?

fysyf, Hundazir Strabehn, fRa and 2 others like this.
  10. Hundazir Strabehn

I see Seventh Records are trailing the release of a double LP on Record Store Day - London 1974

RiRiIII and fysyf like this.
  11. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

This might be a dumb question, but can anyone who has seen the Emehntehtt-Re Trilogy DVD set tell me if the bonus featurette with interviews is in French? Are there subtitles or other language options for a person who only speaks English?

12. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

The remastered original version of M.D.K. on copper foil color vinyl will be available for pre-order on Jan 7th.

Login • Instagram

Hundazir Strabehn likes this.
  13. kaszpar

kaszpar Forum Resident

Yes, the interviews are in French but with English subtitles. It's pretty far out stuff, Mr. Vander is taking a deep dive on those interviews for sure.

Plan9 and Howard Bleach like this.
  14. Howard Bleach

Thanks! I wanna buy it but it's pricey and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to take a foreign language class first ;)

15. Howard Bleach

16. Plan9

Howard Bleach likes this.
  17. fysyf

fysyf Forum Resident

Plan9, is it a too heavy bass problem, as with other remasters ? I haven't heard the last remaster of MDK

18. Plan9

In a way, yes. It's not just about bass, the sound is muddled, compressed, and lacking air. All the remasters I have heard share those "qualities". I'm really not a fan.

fysyf likes this.
  19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've still got my original copy so don't really need another, especially since there have been probably half a dozen official releases of versions I like better than the original studio recording.

20. Howard Bleach

What's everyone's favorite version of "Theusz Hamtaahk" (the song, not the entire trilogy)? After "De Futura" it's my favorite Magma song, and I've been comparing the versions I have. I always liked the version on Zuhn Wohl Unsai (Live 1974) but recently realized the version on Retrospetiw 1 six years later blows it out of the water; no comparison in my opinion. Haven't heard any of the later live versions and was just wondering if there are any others people would recommend that match the power and beauty of that 1980 performance.

jay.dee likes this.
  21. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

The one from Trilogy at Trianon.

R. Totale, Plan9 and Howard Bleach like this.
  22. kaszpar

kaszpar Forum Resident

Have to go with the Retrospektiw I version. I think that version of "Theusz Hamtaahk" cemented the arrangement they have been following for 40 years now. Love the pompous overdubbed synths! The 1974 Bremen live album (Zuhn Wohl Unsai) has it's moments though. Theusz Hamtaahk there is definitely work-in-progress, raw and the structure is pretty much unique for the latter half of the piece, even compared to other live recordings from the same period.

23. Howard Bleach

Yeah, I definitely feel like the Retrospectiw I version is some kind of peak. I enjoyed the Trianon performance posted above by @Zongadude, which I listened to today, and I'd forgotten about the great version from the BBC Londres session, which I remember liking and will return to this week.

Plan9, jay.dee and Zongadude like this.
  24. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I’m currently listening to the ‘copper’ vinyl MDK… The very first time I’ve heard this album (or anything by Magma for that matter…). I really don’t know what to think..!

There’s certainly something about it but I find those vocals way too shrill at the moment. Is it known as a ‘toppy’ recording or is this something specific to this MOV remaster?

This might get under my skin but I’m listening and typing in real time and I can’t quite sort out my emotional response at the moment… It’s either the best thing or the worst thing I’ve heard for some time… It’s certainly not ‘bland’!

Middle Age Riot likes this.
  25. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It’s a good job my other half is at work today as she would have set fire to the house by now (half way through Side 2)….