The Official "Apple Digital Masters / Mastered for iTunes" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Apr 19, 2014.

1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

KISS studio albums from 1974-1997 are now Mastered for iTunes...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

coffeetime likes this.
  2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Oh dear. Time to check out Destroyer, Rvenge and Unplugged when I get home. Timed to coincide with Zeppelin week too. My credit card is going to feel sore if the Kiss MFiT are worthy.

EDIT: Unplugged isn't part of the MFiT issues. And Creatures of the night is MIA; 74-82 ends with Music From The Eldar and 83-97 starts with Lick It Up. Will definitely check out Destroyer and Revenge when I get back home though, £3.99 & £4.99 respectively is tempting if there's an audible improvement over my current Cd rips.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Thanks! I don't know the 1980s catalog well enough to notice that!

Coming later this month, Jackson Browne's Late for the Sky will be Mastered for iTunes.

I also notice Creedence Clearwater Revival's first two and Chronicle are up...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

coffeetime, GetHappy!! and bonnerj like this.
  4. Froachie

Froachie Well-Known Member

Where do you find the info about which music will be MFIT? I find that the MFIT sounds great and I'm always looking for it but it seems like their webpage of new releases, past releases, etc. doesnt list every band or song. For instance, Heart's D&B has a MFIT album and I never saw it listed on the MFIT link in Itunes

5. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I wish I had a source, but often, I just run across these.

One good rule-of-thumb I've noticed is that is an artist puts an entire catalogue or a good chuck of it up on HD Tracks, there is a 35% chance or so that the albums will also be available as Mastered for iTunes. That's how I noticed the CCR albums...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    GetHappy!! and Froachie like this.
  6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Good point. The Mastered For iTunes page at any given time is often woefully date and there are no facility for searching for MFiT albums/tracks otherwise. Unless an album is flagged as MFiT on either the front page or one of the genre pages, it's pot luck. Ergo my weekly check to see if Iron Maiden will follow suite with Black Sabbath and release MFiT catalogue :help:

Froachie likes this.
  7. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

To me, one of the strangest facts about the scheduling of these releases is that Warner/Rhino only seems to be releasing catalogues Bill Inglot never remastered. I believe the only exception is Black Sabbath, and those albums were only available in a box set, not individually...

Are Joni Mitchell, Van Halen, Prince (almost certainly), or Talking Heads on deck?

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I know several of his later albums have been available for a bit, but are the postings of Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story and Gasoline Alley as Mastered for iTunes new?

Too bad Never a Dull Moment hasn't joined the club yet...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

9. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

A ton of Linda Ronstadt albums are up. I can't recall if these are new or not...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

coffeetime likes this.
  10. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I'd be very interested to see Van Halen join the MFiT ranks, not just for the Dave albums, but mostly for the Sammy albums. I am particularly interested in an updated mastering of 5150 and OU812, which to date have only been remastered in Japan.

mikedifr0923, Froachie and coffeetime like this.
  11. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Any thoughts about the KISS MFiT albums?

12. Keso

Keso New Member

Tried it out and bought CN, HITS and AII. They sound way better than my original LPs or CDs! Don´t have the remastered LPs (yet...) I have never liked HITS due to the "robotic" drum sound, but this version does add some humanity to it (added bottom and separation). Haven´t gotten to CN or AII yet...

kingofstoneage and coffeetime like this.
  13. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

14. Froachie

Froachie Well-Known Member

Linda Ronstadt's Heart Like a Wheel sounds fantastic. Bought a bunch of REM albums, and they all sound really good too

coffeetime and lbangs like this.
  15. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Willie!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun MFiT next week :goodie: The two tracks made available ahead of next week's release already sound less dynamically compressed than the past two albums have on CD (not an apples to apples comparison, I admit). Still not the most dynamic sounding album ever but a change for the better so far.

17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Creatures is available as a stand-alone MfiT download in some countries (US, Canada, etc.); elsewhere (in the UK and France, for example) you can only get the MfiT Creatures as part of the Casablanca Years set. Either there are some arcane rights issues regarding this album, or the labelling is just screwed up in some places.
    This is the only discussion about them I could find:

http://www.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99805

The comments don't seem very reliable to me, but YMMV.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I only downloaded Hot In The Shade as that's pretty much the only disc in desperate need of remastering (the 1997 remasters stopped at Crazy Nights).

The MFIT version has much better bass and a larger sound field. It sounds less like a collection of demos (which is what HITS really is) and more like a proper KISS disc. Beyond a remix, it's probably the best this album will ever sound.

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Attention Kiss fans. Your bands output has been Mastered For iTunes and Kiss Killers is actually in there in an extended 15 track form (with Escape from the Island and Shandi like the Japanese cd from the late 80's did (Burnnin' P33 series) with Talk to me added).

coffeetime likes this.
  20. ShallowMemory

Impressed with the Peter Criss solo one.

kingofstoneage likes this.
  21. ShallowMemory

Killers also sounded most impressive when I downloaded and transferred it to my DAP with Sennheisers on.

coffeetime likes this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is good to hear - nice to see a "modern" band embrace improving their SQ.

23. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers) albums are now Mastered for iTunes.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

I think he means this:

[​IMG]

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Too bad, since I'd like to see The Killers (and Keane, Interpol, etc...) improve their SQ!

nbakid2000 likes this.