The Official "Apple Digital Masters / Mastered for iTunes" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I dunno, I guess at the moment I still value lossless over MFiT. That could just be an old habit/preference that I'm having a hard time letting go of. Now if Apple ever decides to offer its MFiTs in ALAC, that'd be a major game changer for me since it would quite literally be the best of both worlds.

Btw... sorry to bring this up again, but has anyone been able to tell whether the lossless versions of U2's Rattle & Hum, Pop, ATYCLB, and Songs of Innocence that are being sold on 7digital are the same new 2017 remasters of those albums that were recently re-released in MFiT on iTunes?

2. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

The 7digital version aren't the MFiT mixes.
    MFiT are exclusive lossy format for iTunes ONLY.
    I don't think Apple will release them as lossless... that's the idea of MFiT formats... propose lossy format as clear and clean as possible.

3. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

1. There are no MFiT "mixes".

2. In many cases the same masterings used for MFiT have been used for other formats (both CD and downloads). That's what Panama Jack meant.

4. Streamingmylife

Streamingmylife Forum Resident

I would say so, for those marked with 06/02/2017

u2songs | Apple issues new Versions of U2 Albums "Mastered for iTunes" |

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

True, quite a few have just been re-leveled to meet the requirements. Some have even by-passed it completely, An ABBA title and a less dynamic Goo Goo Dolls title than it's hi-rez counterpart slipped by that I have that has the branding.

6. Streamingmylife

Quite a lot of Beach Boys albums are on sale (Sweden at least) for €6. Most seems to be MFiT's.

7. Streamingmylife

I think many now consider MFiT versions a perk you get included with Apple Music, but I still buy stuff from time to time. No idea why really :)

coffeetime, Dave Hoos and GetHappy!! like this.
  8. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

May be just me or placebo effect, but I think the MFiT files sound better when you buy them rather than stream on Apple Music (good though that can sound too).

Don't feel I've given up on MFiT at all yet - there are several new and some back catalogue titles going in each week it seems to me...no different to last year or year before. If anything I think some labels are putting more effort into iTunes/MFiT/Apple Music than physical media. The new U2 additions are an example of that (several albums upgraded). Just my opinion obviously.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Streamingmylife likes this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I just picked up the MFiT set of the first 6 REM albums. My first time hearing a lot of this stuff (don't laugh at me) and it is awesome.

10. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

No laughing here, the REM albums sound very good in MFiT. "Document" might be the best sounding digital version of that album there is IMHO. :)

Scopitone, lbangs and drivingfrog like this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

In for a treat. Enjoy.

Togo and malcolm reynolds like this.
  12. Streamingmylife

I love my Roon software. As you can see the DR for each track, can anyone confirm if the result is in line with other software results?

13. Streamingmylife

I hope you are right, but it seems that the front page of iTunes is more and more focused on Apple Music subs/content. Apple is a hardware company after all. Right content is just important to keep us buying the latest hardware. Google play music was added as default player with Samsung recently, so similar model.

Togo likes this.
  14. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

My take is that I think Apple are moving towards merging the iTunes Store into Apple Music, so while I agree with you the focus will be on Apple Music streaming of audio and video, additionally you may well get an option to buy an album, song or video alongside it (who knows maybe even in lossless/hi-res quality eventually). Just my take (and I may be wrong), but I definitely see the signs of this type of integration. Can't see Apple giving up on their store revenue stream just yet. Interesting times ahead I feel.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Streamingmylife likes this.
  15. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin Well-Known Member

Looks like Fleetwood Mac is coming. Everything BUT Rumours and Fleetwood Mac appears to be MFiT.

Streamingmylife and coffeetime like this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am especially interested in the R&H MFiT version, would you say it is a considerable enough upgrade from the original CD issues to consider purchasing?

17. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I quite like the way it sounds, but haven't A/B'ed it with the original CD. If you don't already have an Apple Music subscription, you could take it on trial and test out R&H in MFiT for yourself...along with lots of other MFiT albums too. It's great way to test run both new and classic albums I find before buying. Just a thought anyway. :cool:

18. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Has anyone downloaded The Police albums in mfit?

19. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

Sting's first 2 albums are also mfit now.

20. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

The new Arcade Fire album "Everything Now" is up in MFiT today, as is Alice Cooper with "Paranormal"

Also noticed the Ramones 40th Anniversary Editions of their first two albums are up too (have been for a while I think).

Other recent MFiT additions include:

Shabazz Palaces "Quazarz: Born on A Gangster Star" and "Quazarz vs. The Jealous Machines" (2 themed albums)

JAY-Z "4:44"

Tyler, the Creator "Flower Boy"

Dizzee Rascal "Raskit"

Haim "Something to Tell You"

and

Lana Del Rey's new one "Lust For Life"

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  21. Machineman

Machineman Active Member

Also, The Killers MFIT

ozmosis82, J_P and lbangs like this.
  22. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Enjoying Ramones' Leave Home 40th on Apple Music, tempted with a MFiT purchase.

23. ozmosis82

ozmosis82 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, my dude.

24. SeanRichard

SeanRichard Forum Resident

I was checking out the above Alice Cooper album mentioned above and noticed Hey Stoopid! is now labeled MFiT So I checked my already purchased copy of Trash, lo and behold it was automatically upgraded to MFiT!! Super stoked

Streamingmylife, Togo and coffeetime like this.
  25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Always cool when that happens cf Beatles, Volbeat etc in my case. Enjoy!

SeanRichard likes this.