The Official "Apple Digital Masters / Mastered for iTunes" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Apr 19, 2014.

1. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

It is looking more like a simple rebrand than an expansion of the program itself. Which given Apple's increasing focus on their streaming service and the depreciation of the iTunes brand itself, makes sense.

I do quite like the new file branding/badge as shown in The Verge's article. As a fan & customer of both iTunes purchases and Apple Music, I hope to see the new badge being used across both the store and the service. The MFiT badge has only ever been used for iTunes Store content and downloads to date. Using the new ADM badge within Apple Music could be a notable point of differentiation for the service.

[​IMG]

Returning to the main theme of the thread for a moment, the two Star Wars tracks released in advance from the John Williams - Anne-Sophie Mutter collaboration album Across The Stars are both MFiT. The sound quality matches the performance of both orchestra and ASM's performance. Add in an always welcome digital booklet/PDF, and this album is the sort of standard ALL digital download purchases should be aiming for. Happily pre-ordered and recommended.

2. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Will you still be able to make purchases since they're phasing out iTunes?

coffeetime likes this.
  3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

From what I understand, iTunes the interface will not exist but there will be standalone interfaces for music, podcasts, etc. and on the music one as far as I know you will still be able to manage your music library and make purchases through the store on the music app

coffeetime and mikedifr0923 like this.
  4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Itunes, the application and the store, will continue to be available on Windows and MacOS Mojave and earlier for the moment.

The changes are coming to the forthcoming version of MacOS, MacOS Catalina, first macOS Catalina: Just Announced, Coming This Fall

The store, your music library etc will all remain but the names will change and the furniture is being moved around. Not sure if there is a store name change in the forthcoming versions of iOS and iPadOS.

HotelYorba101 and Panama Jack like this.
  5. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

When MacOS movies to Catalina next month, the central iTunes app where you currently buy and listen to music and movies and podcasts will be divided up into 3 separate apps: Music, AppleTV, and Podcasts.

But the very first paragraph on the Apple page describing Catalina's features says:

"Music Store

For users who still like to own their music, the iTunes Store is just a click away."

macOS Catalina - Features

Streamingmylife and coffeetime like this.
  6. Streamingmylife

Streamingmylife Forum Resident

Agree. Why they don't offer interactive booklets optimized for iPad is beyond me. This gives me the incentive to buy beyond the music itself. Put some exclusive content in the purchases like bonus tracks, video clips only available as part of purchase and my wallet will be ready.
    I'm sure many artists/labels could be interested in producing this extra material to maximize revenue.

7. Streamingmylife

Streamingmylife Forum Resident

From Twitter

In honor of Blue Note Records 80th Anniversary and the 1500 Series, starting today @AppleMusic presents John Coltrane’s legendary ‘Blue Train,’ with studio quality sound via Apple Digital Masters and more.

"Blue Note: The 1500 Series" on Apple Music

Togo, Instant Dharma and coffeetime like this.
  8. Time Is On My Side

In the iTunes Store on Windows (not Apple Music), it appears they changed the tag to "Apple Digital Masters" also.

I also found out Abbey Road (Super Deluxe) is coming soon.

[​IMG]

coffeetime likes this.
  9. Time Is On My Side

Has anyone heard the CCR Mastered For iTunes/Apple Digital Masters albums? I read somewhere that the original CDs are better. I have a couple of the AP SACDs but don't really want to spend the money on the rest of those if the iTunes ones sound fine. Thanks.

10. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I haven't heard the iTunes versions, but from everything I've read on these forums, the AP SACDs are the best there is, so maybe just rip those to your iTunes library? Have you listen to the samples on iTunes?

Mike McMann likes this.
  11. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Switched over to Android a while back so can't check now but memory suggesting to me that Dylan's Tempest was superior on mastered for ITunes than any other format. Anyone else share this experience?

12. Time Is On My Side

Streamingmylife likes this.
  13. Time Is On My Side

Has anyone listened to the John Lennon ones? I'm looking to upgrade my "Lennon Legend" disc which uses the 2000 remasters.

14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I’ve been impressed with the POB & Imagine MFiT/ADMs so far and sound nigh on identical to my 2010 POB & Imagine CDs. The Imagine reissues from last year are also very good indeed. Double Fanatsy & Double Fantasy Stripped however are more dynamically compressed compared to the earlier albums, much as their respective CDs are.

15. Jesper Nielsen

Jesper Nielsen Senior Member

Kicking the dead horse again.. Is there NO offers anymore in iTunes store? When I go to the "album at great prices" is it the same old ****.. I mean come on.. Every week in the movie section is there new offers.. Am I missing something?.. Ofcourse it's ADM titles I am looking for.. I do have my wish list but the prices in there are the same as always..

Streamingmylife and coffeetime like this.
  16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Nope. I track film prices (I buy most films now digitally to watch back via Apple TV 4K) using the CheapCharts app on my phone. The same app also tracks music, ebook, TV & audiobooks on offer via the iTunes Store. The music offers are very few and far between these days. Usually the same old warhorse being offered with a pound or two off. I still buy plenty of music digitally but it is rarely discounted these days and almost never to the extend and in the quantities that films & TV series are.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

If its to your flavour Blue Note MFiT's are usually pretty well priced at £5.99, sound impressive too.

18. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin Well-Known Member

Looks like Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak, is now an "Apple Digital Master"

19. Artie Fufkin

Stone Temple Pilots Purple, Deluxe and remastered ADM. Must say though, I am disappointed the new music store still does not allow you to search by the ADM tag, although not surprised.

Freebird and maui jim like this.
  20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The MfiT/ADM badge is not a tag; it's a bit of code embedded in the M4A file.

coffeetime likes this.
  21. Jesper Nielsen

Jesper Nielsen Senior Member

This is just not good enough! Even when looking at their "Mastered For iTunes" link, just the same old shi*.... Even the link hasn't been corrected with the new name... They are not serious about it and I don't care about Apple Music.. :crazy:

22. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The iTunes storefront is increasingly looking like an oversized advert for Apple Music. Don't get me wrong, I'm an AM Family Membership subscriber. But when I visit the iTunes Store, it is because I am browsing and looking for things to buy, not so I can see AM adverts and AM playlists.

I upgraded my Mac to macOS Catalina early last week, with the new Music app replacing the iTunes application. For all the positives (cleaner interface, iTunes LP compatibility still there), I had to enable the iTunes Store itself as it was turned off by default in favour of Apple Music & My Library.

23. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

For me, the most welcome change in Apple Music is that when you download a track on your computer, the “Apple Digital Master” badge can now be seen in the file info.

24. Time Is On My Side

I am just wondering where all of the Apple Lossless downloads are. I would be happy with 44.1kHz/16-bit "CD quality" downloads.

25. Artie Fufkin

Strange, I am not seeing that on my computer for Apple Music files that should be Apple Digital Masters.