The official "random Star Wars stuff" thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Jealous, the Death Star and Destroyer are two pieces I wish I had. Collected star wars toys for a while before they got to expensive. I was to old for toys when Star Wars came out. I have pretty much every og ship accept for the B wing.

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Here's a dumb a s s moment.
    My grandfather owned a business where he delivered films to theaters.
    I had the first two movie og theatre posters that I got from him and I traded them for dope as a teenager.
    I still regret it.

Ms. Daisy, longdist01, asdf35 and 2 others like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, no dumber than a lot of us dumping all our vinyl in the 90’s and then rebuying them all again in the 2000’s!

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

longdist01, Ms. Daisy and indigovic like this.
  6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I did that to accept started in the late 80's. Not all of it but a lot of it , kept the punk and metal.
    I don't think I ever owned a record that's worth 1200.00 or so a piece now though.
    Don't matter I wouldn't sell em if I still had em they'd be on the wall.

7. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I was really struck by the lacklustre 4k UHD Jedi watching it the other night (it's been over a decade since I last saw the film). I remember seeing Jedi upon its original release, and the laser blast at Princess Leia when she's sitting on the log with the Ewok was so loud it made the whole theatre jump. On the 4k release it's barely a whimper (even with the quiet build up). And the early Jabba scenes offer a slight increase in detail but are dishwater dark. Even though I think Jedi has aged far worse than the previous two films (Harrison Ford is just terrible in Jedi), I was quite disappointed. Could it be that the film was shot with that grainy/soft film stock that seems to plague other films in that mid-80s period? Older lenses and/or diffusion in front of the lens?

8. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Since streaming at home began, I've noticed RotJ has noticeably worse special effects than its predecessors. Maybe it was aiming too high, technically? Specifically, you can see a blue-ish outline around the spaceships as they zoom through space. And the Rancor monster scene looks less advanced than Clash Of The Titans... and this was in 1983! Was Lucas rushed? Or did ILM not keep pace with his concepts?

This is ignoring the sagging plot points, stiff dialogue & furry woodland creatures that annoyed me as a 9 year old (and still do today, I suppose).

But I'm fishing here for a more technical or historical explanation of why the special fx were (arguably) worse in RotJ (if anyone even agrees with that statement).

9. Johnny66

I suppose there was a much larger cast of 'creatures' in ROTJ that were realised through puppetry - particularly the creatures at Jabba's court (the Rancor being the most obvious). The hand puppetry (i.e. Salacious Crumb, baby Ewoks) does stand out. Then again, Jabba the Hutt himself is really quite an amazing puppet: he does feel truly lifelike for the most part (as does Yoda from Empire).

(Note: I always wondered why the 'space slug' from Empire was never laughed off the screen. It's the most ridiculously unconvincing hand puppet ever.)

[​IMG]

longdist01 and mx20 like this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I never liked the idea of the midicholorians... To me it was, and will always be a "Religion" of some sort.

mj_patrick and Ms. Daisy like this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

I didn't search this thread to see if this was asked/covered or not, so here goes:

In regard to 'The Empire Strikes Back', it was said that of all the actors only Mark Hamill and James Earl Jones knew the big surprise of Vader being Luke's father, and that while they were shooting that segment, David Prowse was feeding Mark lines, but what he was saying was totally different than what Mark and James knew as far as the big surprise, and that Mark (as Luke) was replying to what David was saying while they were filming.

That said, does anyone know if the dialog David was feeding Mark exists anywhere? It'd be interesting to know what Prowse thought the storyline was...

Calling All Stations likes this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Mark Hamill Reveals Star Wars Cast Had No Idea About 'I Am Your Father' Scene Until Movie Was Out

Dave Prowse's script was auctioned off several years ago and this exchange was not present in it:
    'Star Wars' script revealing how plot twist was kept secret sells for $32K | CNN

Apparently that was some on-set correction, or a later draft that never made it to set.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Thanks for the info, now I at least have a pretty good idea of what David said to Mark. while they filmed the scene.

Ben Kenobi killing Anakin Skywalker- I like that idea better than Vader being Luke's father.

And I really, really dislike the whole Luke & Leia are twins thing: It makes their kiss in 'Star Wars' and the face sucking kiss she gave him in 'Empire' incestuous. I would have rather it just been that in the end, the boy didn't get the girl, rather that his friend won out in the love triangle. Luke being a Jedi in the end would have been satisfying enough, he didn't need a twin sister too...

14. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

Unlike the tie-in blitz accompanying modern blockbusters, when Star Wars opened in the summer of 1977, there wasn't much merchandise available at first. Wandering the shops in my local mall between screenings (Like many fans, I saw the flick multiple times that summer) all I could find was the Del Rey novelization at my local B. Dalton Bookseller and the Hildebrandt Brothers poster at Spencer Gifts.

Fortunately, on Christmas Day of that same year, my family—well aware of my Star Wars obsession—gifted me with this blanket (notice it peeking out from beneath our orange tabby on the right). My enthusiasm for George Lucas' space opera aside, Midwestern winters can make Hoth look like a beach getaway, so I was extremely happy to receive it back then.

[​IMG]

mx20 likes this.
  15. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I think all the reports about the “Obi-Wan killed your father” line trace back to Mark Hamill. In 2006, Prowse said that his on-set dialogue just asked Luke to join him and the Dark Side.
    Dave Prowse (Darth Vader) - Star Wars Interviews

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Johnny66

You don't need to spend big money to own the very best toys kids from the 70s and 80s could ever receive! Check it out! ;)

longdist01 and Ms. Daisy like this.
  17. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

In Lisa Marie’s 2003 Rolling Stone interview, she talked about how she became fascinated with Darth Vader when watching the movies with her son and came to think that his grand presence and cape reminded her of Elvis!

JediJones likes this.
  18. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

[​IMG]

jerol

19. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Thanks , Im digging for a blacket now. NOT!!

Johnny66 likes this.
  20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I had a bed-sheet and pillowcase set with the same design as a kid. It was very cool when I was seven. This was in 1983, so I was obsessively reading James Kahn's novelization of Return of the Jedi (which included the "Luke creates his own lightsaber" scene on Tatooine that was filmed but cut).

JediJones and Bea Jonas like this.
  21. darth caedus

darth caedus Do not be a magician - be magic!

found this interesting documentary about the history of the star wars action figures

indigovic, BeatleJWOL and longdist01 like this.
  22. darth caedus

thanks Mods for merging the threads! i couldn't find this one in the search!

23. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

This is an incredibly fascinating time capsule, Gary Kurtz and Mark Hamill promoting Star Wars the year before it came out at a sci-fi con. It feels a lot like the kind of fan conventions The Simpsons parodied, with cynical fanboys nitpicking everything to death, rather than the much more celebratory and friendly conventions we seem to have today. People do nitpick and criticize things online today, for sure, but whenever I see actual, in-person Q&As at cons, they're usually just drooling over the celebrities.

Their description of the movie seems pretty faithful to what it came out to be, but the one big divergence is Kurtz saying that they would not have sound effects in space in the movie. I imagine if they tried it without sound effects, it just seemed too boring to actually go through with it.

beccabear67 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. darth caedus

i've not watched yet, but i remember in simpsons comics they remade star wars without sound in space and there was a riot!"

JediJones likes this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

There's also the first episode of the Netflix series The Toys That Made Us, all about Star Wars, featuring a visit with Steve Sansweet and his enormous collection. Not sure how much crossover there is with this doc.