The Official Spotify Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scopitone, Sep 30, 2014.

1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Beats is trying to get down to $5 a month and Spotify has a new family plan:

http://www.cnet.com/news/spotify-rolls-out-family-feature-separate-accounts-one-bill/

Here's the deal on Apple/Beats:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-eyes-5-per-month-price-on-beats-music-report-says/

2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast Thread Starter

3. nbakid2000

I've been trying to get my friend into Spotify. If we could somehow wind up on a family plan, he may do it, but it's like pulling teeth with him at this point. He likes free options, like mp3s and YouTube.

4. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Scopitone

I thought the same thing. But he just didn't dig it. I think because he's got waaaaaaay more money and time invested in building a music collection over the years, so perhaps he just didn't want to go elsewhere.

He's not scared of streaming media, though. A few years ago he ripped all his CDs and uploaded them to amazon before selling the originals. And same with DVDs, which he's been slowly re-buying as amazon streaming. Kindle, too.

Oh, well.

6. nbakid2000

Yeah this guy likes vinyl and digital files. He loves the idea of Spotify but prefers free downloads and streams from YouTube. He doesn't like CDs and doesn't like paying for digital music. He likes mp3 CDs in the car but has no interest in flash drives for the car.

:shrug: whatcha gonna do?

7. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Hope they will manage gift cards too...

8. Scopitone

As a rule, I tend to avoid the web browser interface when I am able to use the software. But one thing it has going for it is the "related music" that lists songs below your now playing item, along the right side.

Been having a good time for the last half hour surfing through the songs that appear there to see where it takes me. It's pretty right about offering up stuff that sounds appealing to me, based on what I am playing.

[​IMG]

9. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

No, but that happens quite a lot on Spotify without explanation. "The artist has chosen to not make this track available". You don't have any control, but hey it's cheap.

10. Scopitone

I went to the record store this afternoon thinking I might pick up a few CDs. But every time I grabbed one that I wanted, I kept reminding myself that it was available on Spotify and that I didn't really have money to buy a stack of disks today.

So I ended up not buying anything. And I came home and loaded up those albums onto my iPhone for off-line listening in spotify.

head_unit and GetHappy!! like this.
  11. nbakid2000

I had the exact opposite experience today. I listened to Spotify then went and got a bunch of really cheap albums I told myself I couldn't afford NOT to get in case someone pulled them off the service.

12. Scopitone

Well, these weren't especially cheap. In fact since I'm not a stickler for lossless, I'll happily buy them on iTunes when I get ready to do so. Probably.

13. nbakid2000

I can't justify buying off iTunes unless it's significantly cheaper than buying the cd, like in the case of physically OOP titles. Then I'm happy to buy off iTunes.

14. Scopitone

Eh, I'm probably the worst audiophile on this forum. I just like the music and don't mind listening on my phone most of the time. I've intentionally forced myself to hold back on starting to chase special pressings, etc. I know how I am, and I can't afford it. Plus, I'm happy with what I hear most of the time. :D

15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

UK premium subscriber here and no, Echoes is missing/greyed out on the track listing for Live In Gdansk here too.

16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Dylan, Basement Tapes Complete has suddenly gone missing, alas.

17. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

Pink Flag by Wire is back up.

18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Aztec Camera are not on U.S. Spotify.

RickH likes this.
  20. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Wish list: The Folk Blues of Eric Von Schmidt

There is a 1963 Eric Von Schmidt album on there (that features Blind Boy Grunt, aka Bob Dylan, contributing harmonica and backup vocals to half a dozen of the tracks) but it's not nearly as good as The Folk Blues of Eric Von Schmidt (the album laying closest to Dylan on the cover photo of Bringing It All Back Home).

mesfen likes this.
  21. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

The Beatles are NOT on Spotify.

22. nbakid2000

But Zeppelin is!

23. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I've been using a 3rd party app (Spotimote) on my phone to control my laptop that is hooked up to my home stereo/DAC, but I just received an email from Spotify that I won't need it anymore. I can control it with the Spotify app I already have. It works pretty well in my preliminary test.

24. Scopitone

Nice!

I knew that my iPhone and iPad apps could control each other, but I hadn't tried it on the desktop. Switched tracks quickly for spotify files. When I changed to a playlist that used some of my local itunes files, it was slower to switch and took a couple of seconds to pause when I clicked to stop playing. Very nice, though.

When I am laying on the couch or doing stuff around the apartment, I will often listen through the roku app on my tv. But the speakers on my computer, basic as they are, definitely sound better than the ones on my tv.

25. nbakid2000

Is the Connect option new? First time I'm seeing it today. It allows me to control the program on my computer from my phone.

Edit: haha never mind. Already discussed. Yes this is very nice and useful when in another room like the bathroom.

Scopitone likes this.