The Official Spotify Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scopitone, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

2. Stereosound

3. Stereosound

Spotify just announced they will have a HiFi tier coming later this year. About F@*king time Spotify!!! They better get bit perfect output correct out of the gate as well and better damn not be using mqa!!!

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Rob6899 and sharedon like this.
  5. Stereosound

6. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

The hifi tier is a game changer for me personally.

Didn't think it would happen but very happy it is.

sharedon and 500Homeruns like this.
  7. Stereosound

Thought it would happen at some point but not excited yet. Still remains to be seen what the details are.

Rob6899 likes this.
  8. 500Homeruns

If it is really going to be high resolution (24/96, 24/192), then I am in.
    I can't see how the competitors are going to survive.

Rob6899 likes this.
  9. Stereosound

If it’s mqa I WON’T BE!! Yes they might only do it Deezer style with just CD quality. Will have to wait and see. Also will they do bit perfect output correctly, screw it up like Amazon HD or not do it at all? Spotify also mentioned they will be expanding into other countries as well.

10. Stereosound

11. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

From what I have seen so far it's cd quality?

To be fair thats good enough for me to supplement my other streaming. I already use Spotify for all Bluetooth and car streaming anyway.

12. Stereosound

Still remains to be seen but looks like it might only be CD quality and not higher: Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi — Spotify

Deezer is the one that needs to worry if that is the case.

Rob6899 likes this.
  13. 500Homeruns

I would really like to find one streaming service that "ticks" all of the boxes. For me, it does not exist yet. Spotify offering high resolution would do it.

sharedon and Rob6899 like this.
  14. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

CD quality would be good enough for me. I use Tidal only because of its integration with Roon and I get it for £5 a month though my Third Man subscription. Spotify HIFi would wholly tempt me away if it's cheap enough.

15. Stereosound

So would I but If Spotify doesn’t do higher than CD it won’t tick all the boxes for me. Apple Music would have a better chance at that if they go high resolution. Simple features some had them then dropped them or just should have them anyway then everyone would be happy. Why can’t we have that?

16. Stereosound

Spotify HiFi would not be worth it if it costs more than Qobuz which is only $2.50-$5.00 a month more than Spotify Premium $9.99/month.

Rob6899 likes this.
  17. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Agreed.

I pay £8.99 a month for Spotify, plus £5 per Month for tidal. I.used to have Qobuz as well but I have everything covered with Spotify and tidal, and most importantly, I'm happy.

18. Stereosound

Spotify should just end it’s Premium tier and replace it with the name HiFi and just charge $9.99/month like it does now. No reason for a sub CD quality tier anymore except for the free tier maybe.

Billy Infinity and Rob6899 like this.
  19. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

If they did that, they've won. And rightly so IMO.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Won what?!? Tidal streams in 24/96.

21. Stereosound

22. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

IMO (in my opinion) if Spotify provide an affordable CD quality tier, they will win that particular battle. I, like millions of other people think that CD quality is perfectly fine for listening, and if Spotify do it right and make it affordable, the millions of subscribers they already have will probably up their subscription to HiFi. And new subscribers will probably go for a high quality sub, if affordable.

Of course ,thats all in my opinion. You know opinion, on an internet message forum full of that, opinions. See how I'm emphasising the word opinion? ;)

opinion

ralphb97 likes this.
  23. bjr

bjr Senior Member

A lot of features depend on flags downloaded to the app when you log in. These will control which features are enabled and which are not. The reason for doing so can vary, between slow rollouts to watch for negative results in the form of crashes, or being limited because server capacity is not built out yet, to tests where new features are tested against control groups which don't receive it, to see how well they are received.

This type of behaviour is standard for service-based apps these days.

24. bjr

bjr Senior Member

People also want artists to be paid more money. Given that Spotify already pays out more than 2/3 of its revenue, increasing the subscription price for tiers beyond the current premium sounds like something people here would like.

Rob6899 likes this.
  25. Smashedpumpkin

Smashedpumpkin Active Member

You mean to say opinions and facts aren't interchangeable? I'm shocked!

Rob6899 likes this.