The Official Spotify Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scopitone, Sep 30, 2014.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm currently in the free trial period of Beats. The curated playlists could be a gimmick, but I actually find them pretty cool. It has already learned what I like and suggested some interesting playlists to me. On my phone, I like the interface and the way search results are presented better than Spotify. Identifying and choosing between different editions of the same album (deluxe, super deluxe, etc.) is easier. The library isn't quite as good - no Led Zeppelin, etc. - but I have all of the Zeppelin albums on iTunes on my phone anyway. I'm probably going to switch to Beats full-time.

Scopitone likes this.
  3. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I think one of the coolest things about these streaming services are all the playlists that are available at your fingertips. Seems to me that is an awesome way to be able to share music with other people. I suppose it's very much like the old days when you made a mix tape for a friend. Now it's much easier to do and curate which is really really neat.

It would be cool if you could see who was listening to a particular song and maybe strike up a conversation about the music or lyrics etc.

Scopitone and CupOfDreams like this.
  4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast Thread Starter

I actually prefer a lot of the Beats features - especially those curated playlists and recommendations, as well as the iOS app.

But I don't prefer the desktop experience over Spotify. And I do so much listening at my computer that it's important.

Still exploring TIDAL. My free trial ends in about 2 weeks, and I really like a lot of things about it. I'd like to think that by paying $20 a month, I would be opening it up for more royalities to the artists over spotify. I wish. . .

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Maybe if Apple does actually fold Beats into iTunes, it will be easier to use on the desktop.

6. Scopitone

Agreed. Wonder if they'll do what Google does, though, and mix local/match library with Beats library.

7. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Not on spotify > The Beatles, AC/DC, Garth Brooks, Tool, George Harrison, Rammstein,
    King Crimson, Slade, Def Leppard, Bob Seger, Peter Gabriel, Taylor Swift, Many albums
    from Van Morrison Chris Rea.

Albums not on spotify > Latest from Robert Plant, Turn Blue and El Camino from The Black Keys.
    Tug Of War, Back to The Egg, Red Rose Speedway, London Town from Paul McCartney.
    Speak Of The Devil from Ozzy Osbourne, Mystery to Me from Fleetwood Mac, Law And Order,
    Go Insane and Out Of The Cradle from Lindsey Buckingham.

Songs not on spotify > Whiter Shade Of Pale from Procol Harum, I Love Rock"n Roll from
    Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, Hope Of Deliverance from Paul McCartney.

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Well I try my best with a premium account... always leave it on radio play overnight, with my amp off. Someone aught to get a share of my £10.

drasil and Scopitone like this.
  9. Scopitone

Ha! I have done the same - not with radio (that's a good idea), but using repeat. If I am going out for a few hours, I might set an album for an artist I particularly want to support onto repeat. I figure it can't hurt. And my desktop is going to cache it anyway after the first playthrough, so it's not killing me in bandwidth.

Plays havoc with my Last.fm scrobbles, though.

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

You can do that on Spotify with the Social Chart or Soundrop apps.

norman_frappe likes this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Interesting article in the current New Yorker about Spotify's past, present and future.

12. Scopitone

So, how do you organize your Spotify collection?

• Do you make mostly playlists of song mixes?
    • Do you make a playlist for each single album, or maybe a group of albums by the same artist?
    • Do you make folders for genres or themes, with playlists inside?
    • Do you use the "albums" section?
    • Do you add a lot of songs to "Starred"?
    • Do you import non-spotify music from your collection (Beatles, etc)?

What do you do?

13. Scopitone

Check out this piece of news:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/13/rip-spotify-apps-rip-soundrop/

"Music streaming service Spotify quietly announced in October that it would be removing the App Finder and no longer supporting apps in its desktop client, and today comes news of a significant casualty resulting from that move: Soundrop — makers of popular group listening rooms that run on Spotify, Deezer and the wider web, but mainly on Spotify — isshutting down. The team behind the service says it will now focus all their efforts on Show.co, a marketing platform that the startup developed as a by-product of the success of those listening rooms."​

14. nbakid2000

I generally have a playlist that I just add things I read about online to listen to when I have time. That way I don't forget. It'll say "New Albums to Hear" and just all in there. I have various playlists but they're really just collections of albums and some random songs if I'm following someone's playlist. I tend to deal strictly with albums - I go in, I listen, I link around. That is pretty much the extent of my usage.

Scopitone likes this.
  15. nbakid2000

Well that sucks. I almost never use them, but they better not get rid of Last.fm scrobbling. I would be livid if they did.

16. Scopitone

I think scrobbling itself is built into the desktop (and website and iOS apps). There is a last.fm app, though, which I have used a few times, as well as Pitchfork, Rhino, KCRW, sounddrop, and a few others. Oh, well.

17. Scopitone

I have done variations on that one, too. One year, I made a folder with all the albums savingcountrymusic.com recommended in their top 25, so I could come back and sample them later.

18. nbakid2000

There are some great playlists out there that I've discovered music from. Some of the members here have made some open playlists that I'm also subscribed to. I wish we could get more collaborative playlists going from here.

19. Scopitone

You don't have to follow this playlist if you don't want, but it'll link you to my account if you want to follow each other.

Girl Groups - Give Them a Great Big Kiss

I agree that collaborative playlists would be fun.

20. nbakid2000

I'm following you now. Edit: am I following you on Last.fm or are you even signed up for that?

21. Scopitone

I don't do a lot of the social on last.fm, so probably not. I do scrobble, though, when I remember. Feel free, and I will of course follow back: My Last Fm Profile

My scrobbling is often heavily weighted towards stand up comedy because I listen to it on spotify or itunes radios when I am going to sleep. :p

22. nbakid2000

Isn't your scrobbling on permanently? :confused: Mine is. Nothing to forget. ???

23. Scopitone

Of course.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  24. nbakid2000

Wooo! Spotify has this!

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. Scopitone

50's and 60's records covers FTW