The Official "What should the next Deluxe Edition Rolling Stones LP be?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, while we're all enjoying "Tattoo You Deluxe" (well, most of us LOL) , I've been curious as to what album will be picked for the deluxe treatment. 2022 doesn't seem to be an anniversary for any of them and they have already seemed to have picked the most popular albums. I've purposely left off the 60s albums as it seems like they are just not going to get it together with Abkco and do any of them right - "Beggars Banquet" and "Let it Bleed" were such wasted opportunities in my book.

There are some good arguments for many on this list - so let's hear your case and just maybe the "powers at be" are watching!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    enro99, Fred1 and Rockford & Roll like this.
  2. Just give me a compilation of outtakes thankyouverymuch.

3. Lynd8

I definitely hear that argument, but they just don't seem headed that way unfortunately. Having a focus on a particular album is not a totally bad approach, having a book about each album and outtakes that relate to that release are pretty cool.

4. Yeah, it’s just that - so far - these deluxe sets do very little for me. For my tastes the audio of the core albums can be found sounding subjectively ‘better’ elsewhere and I despise modern overdubs on vintage recordings. For the true unmolested outtakes we get I’d rather just see them compiled on a comp so I can save some $.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I know that this would be somewhat redundant given we already had the deluxe set of Ya Yas but I’d be in for an updated remaster of the album incorporating the song performances -in proper concert sequence-included in the deluxe and the Gimme Shelter film but not the original album.

6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

So....

I hope they do Black & Blue next. I would love Emotional Rescue, but cant see it happening. Undercover would be another favourite and see more possibility for that one than ER.

Not sure they will do Steel Wheels so recent following the live box set, but its bound to get done at some point.

Haven't they used all the outtakes of IORR to make TY SDE?

Tom Wabe, aphexj, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. Lynd8

I just did a quick scan of Martin Elliot's book and you are correct - they would likely be really scraping at the bottom for this one, unless there's more we don't know about.

8. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

Definitely Black and Blue. There's probably some excellent outtakes with Billy Preston.

9. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

I would like live releases from late 6o s to mid 70s NOT destroyed by the horrible current mastering policy.

10. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

I voted for Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue, and Undercover. B&B is rife with outtakes--perhaps we could finally see "Come On Sugar," and "Slave" in its early permutation, and They have at least two 76 shows (Paris and Knebworth) that could be used to pad out a Super Deluxe/box set as per Their M.O. for deluxe sets. A Rescue set could be very heavy on studio outtakes as They cut quite a few numbers--including some covers like "Sweet Home Chicago"--in 79 during those sessions. Main reason I picked this album was because "Jah Is Not Dead" and "Gangster's Moll" must see the light of day--unreal that these two songs didn't make the final cut.

Undercover is one of Their catalogue's most overlooked and underappreciated albums. I don't really get the dislike for it as it contains Their late 70s/early 80s lean & mean guitar sound, and it doesn't hurt that the lyrical content--especially Jagger's contributions--is among the most macabre and bloodsoaked of Their career while chronicling then current events and pop culture (Sandinistas and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre). Keef 'n Woody weave like magic on it.

As much as I'd like a Deluxe I.O.R.R., I wouldn't hold my breath on that. That's largely been spent on the recent "Lost & Found" disc.

- siyt

11. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Probably wouldn't happen but Dirty Work. The unreleased songs were better than what made the album. Undercover would be good too as the bootleg songs on the bootleg earlier this year indicates another album worth of songs. Emotional Rescue too, get all those good songs from the fruitful 77-80 sessions out.

12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Anything Masher Marcussen is not allowed to touch

13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

They leaked last year mate for free ! I know what you mean though officially.

I’d like a super deluxe Voodoo Lounge one day, that would be a nice set, would imagine it will one day.

14. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

The Steel Wheels outtakes are fantastic. That gets my vote.

milankey, ARK, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Black & Blue would be a shoe-in, I'll take a full El Mocambo show on the side please

16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

The album and tour were massive. It's bound to happen.

Set might come with a free Volkswagon Polo.

17. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Give us the Super Deluxe Dirty Work. Mick & Keith already know their fans will buy anything from the vaults.... So why not test the theory?
    A 10-minutes "Extended Mix" of "Harlem Shuffle"! Jimmy Page replacing Keith's solos on every song! Limited edition "collectible" vinyl in fluorescent pink, yellow, green, and purple to match the album cover aesthetics! Everything wrapped in red cellophane! Retail price $299.99!

(Actually, someone already mentioned their desire for a Dirty Work box, so who knows?? Outtakes might save the album!)

Shawn and Bluepicasso like this.
  18. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

If they do one for Black And Blue, I'm all in for whatever needless extravagant deluxe version they want to sell me, they can take my money now.

19. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

"Black and Blue" is my choice and a sentimental favorite, obviously, but I question what might still be in the vaults. Very little has leaked and the quick turnaround and short duration of the album suggest there wasn't much to it beyond what we know. A session with Jeff Beck, yes, but it's supposed to be horrific.

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Black & Blue.
    Absolutely an underrated record.
    Besides it’s the best sounding record they ever did.

21. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Have they done "Out of Our Heads" already? Best Rolling Stones album prior to Beggars Banquet.

22. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Non brickwalled

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Forget the 60’s material. Won’t happen, sorry.
    The Stones prevent ABKCO to release any outtakes prior to 1971.

Invisible Man likes this.
  24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

None, it’s time to work on deluxe editions of their 60s albums. I believe there I some conflict with Stones not owning the catalog but, make it happen.

25. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

I’d like a remix of It’s Only Rock N Roll.

There really isn’t much left for a bonus disk though. The early version of “Black Limo”, the title track with Bowie, “Slow Down And Stop”, maybe “Through The Lonely Nights”. Alternates.

enro99 likes this.