The Old Man with Jeff Bridges on FX / hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jun 18, 2022.

1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

That was the best part of the episode and I'm glad they included it as I was getting sleepy. ha. I love Bridges and think he's doing a great job. The cast is all great actually.

One thing about the traffic stop that I'm a little confused by though... why did Amy's character say that Jeff was her husband? I get that she likes him but... shouldn't she be a little concerned? And also if he doesn't have his license, why would the cops let him drive her home? That seemed off to me too.

Shawn likes this.
  2. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Because she had been drinking wine. That was the best choice given the circumstances. Not sure why she said he was her husband. Must have been nerves.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I hated the traffic stop. Sorry, I hate dream sequences and other similar "in the head" flights of fancy. Cheap.

Shawn and Klavier like this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I can see that, but at first I thought the story had taken a very dark turn. "Oh, he went there!"

carrick doone and mmars982 like this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right. That was my thought, too. "Huh? So he's really that ruthless/evil?" And then, when I realized it was an imagination sequence, I felt cheated. I mean, I'm glad that that's not who his character is. But then, I don't need that sequence.

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

To me it meant that he was maybe prepared to go that far if necessary. He was thinking about it. Perhaps the sequence shows that he has to temper his instincts. It does add insight into the character.

7. Nightfly68

Exactly because the next morning he even said to his dogs that he didnt want to hurt her and that they needed to leave.

ex_mixer likes this.
  8. mds

mds Forum Resident

Hmm, age does decline the reflexes, muscles, endurance, and yes even quick thinking on your feet, so it is a stretch, but yes he is a trained killer and fighting for his life. I was surprised by the heal to the groan, very good move and it worked.

9. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

Jeff is brilliant. Like others have stated, I will pretty much watch anything he is in.

Fantastic that he seems to have recovered his health after getting Covid while undergoing chemotherapy for cancer.

10. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Was looking forward to this, & I don't watch TV. DVR'd it & just watched the 1st episode. It was ok at best, but pretty uneven, far too slowly paced, & very formulaic. Bridges was excellent, as always & Lithgow was very good.

Started the 2nd episode & watched it only get slower. Too many scenes were obviously padded & stretched out, in order to fill the running time, with no payoff. I stopped about halfway through the episode as it was just too slowly paced to hold my interest. I might return to it later, but I'm not sure.

The sad thing is, I don't mind & usually enjoy media, (books, movies, TV shows), that take the time to get to their points, but this is creakily slow & fails to move the plot much.

I do think it would have worked better as a movie, as even the 1st episode was stretched out & padded with unnecessary clutter to fill time.

I'm really disappointed in this overall.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I saw the first episode last night and the other two this morning. Yes, slow and deliberate but totally brilliant. Jeff Bridges is okay but John Lithgow, Alia Shawkat and the dogs are carrying the load. And the back story flashbacks are also essential.

My favorite show right now. Looking forward to IV.

12. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Loving this so far. Wonderful writing and pacing and E01 features one of the best fight sequences ever filmed.

13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Episode three was disappointing. I don't believe for a second that Chase, as experienced and capable as he is supposed to be, would jeopardize and make his life that much more difficult by bringing along a woman, for no good reason. At least they saved it from further unbelievability by having her refuse to go with him, as any sane woman would.

I'm still in though and looking forward to next weeks episode.

enro99 and proedros like this.
  14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

To me his reason was laid out. During the traffic stop her address was on her license and she had said he was her husband, which he believed put her in the same amount of danger as him.

carrick doone likes this.
  15. unclefred

Not at first. That came later as the conversation developed.

16. Bluesman Mark

Just the fact that they'd break out that hoary old cliche makes what interest I had left in watching this drop precipitously.

Ah well, better to find this out now & save myself from further disappointment. Yet another reason why I rarely waste my time watching TV, as at least 99 times out of 100, shows wind up being both disappointing & a total waste of my time. Television is indeed still nothing more than a "vast wasteland". Perhaps we can change the meaning of "TV" to stand for "Totally Vapid".

unclefred likes this.
  17. unclefred

Hopefully it will pick up next week. It was illogic upon illogic when Chase's daughter, of the CIA, was encouraging the woman to go along with her Dad. Please. It would have been much tidier and a little more believable to just have the hit man try to kill them both because she happens to be there. Then Chase feels obliged to take her along. Simple.

18. Bluesman Mark

Next week will be too late for them to redeem the show as I deleted what I had recorded & canceled the One Pass for the rest. And the additional info you posted assures me I did the right thing. That episode would most likely have just pissed me off & been the end for me anyway.

Shawn and unclefred like this.
  19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Tough crowd.
    [​IMG]

20. Bluesman Mark

I'm a huge Jeff Bridges fan who feels he deserves more than the single Oscar he got. I also think John Lithgow is an excellent actor.

So the fact that this show was as uneven & glacially slow as it was, & wasted, (in my opinion of course), two great actors was very disappointing to me. Futher news seal it's fate.

I'm beyond extremely picky in what I watch. The last show I committed my valuable time for an entire series run was Justified. Prior to that it was 24. And prior to that was M*A*S*H.

There's other programs I've enjoyed over the years, (including currently), & I've watched entire series runs of other shows over the years in some cases, but not faithfully without missing an episode in order like those. So it takes something special to make me have to watch it. I loved the Simpsons for roughly 10 years. After that I eventually ceased watching completely & feel it had ran it's course & should've been canceled at least 15 years ago.

I did most of my TV watching in the '60s/'70s & consider the '70s my personal "golden age" of television as far as the amount of quality programming available. Since then to me it's steadily gone downhill, with a few exceptions.

21. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Renewed for a 2nd season.

22. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

With 3 episodes in the DVR bank, I just watched the first one and definitely ready for more. The wife usually "watches" as she scrolls through crap on her phone. It must have been a good episode...she put down her phone and didn't pick it up until the ending credits. That rarely happens. Queing up the second one tonight.

Scope J likes this.
  23. Nightfly68

The second episode was a little slow but picks up towards the end. I liked the 3rd episode better.

tonyc and Scope J like this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

So no Soprano's, no Wire? Wow, you are picky.

I'm a product of 70's tv also, and while there were some great shows back then, to me there have been great shows in every decade. No one decade rules.

This show is terrific, and when folks complain of a show being "too slow" I just roll my eyes. To each their own, but I love story development, and a show like this needs that to provide for what's coming. That said, I see nothing slow about this show at all, not in the way that some could pin that on various episodes of "Better Call Saul" or others. But then again, I generally despise action films, never liked Bond, do not like Marvel or other comic book based movies/shows, and am not at all a horror film fan. But a show that takes it's time with a good plot, great actors, great writing, and ultimately delivers the goods is something I'll watch and generally enjoy every time.

25. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Indeed! I've heard the same about the Sopranos, Better Call Saul, and others. Never bothered me before, and I don't see this as an impediment with this show.

Amnion likes this.