The Old Man with Jeff Bridges on FX / hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

The actor who played the young Harold Harper did a brilliant job capturing John Lithgow's speech cadence and inflections. He was so good at it, it was almost a distraction.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

But this show wasn't imo.

Kevin j, Shawn, AC1 and 2 others like this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It started well, but kind of went off the rails. Definitely a bad call to remove the dogs from the equation part way through. Not recommended :thumbsdow

Shawn and Darrin L. like this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Off the rails is a bit severe. It did lose some of the early momentum that it had in it's first few episodes, but I still found the show worthy of watching each week based if for no other reason then the performances of Bridges and Lithgow. I'd like to have seen them do more with Brenneman's character, and the back story flashbacks were soggy. But all in all, it was still better then a majority of shows(and certainly movies) out there and I looked forward to it each week.

I'd like to have the dogs back also.

carrick doone likes this.
  7. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and GMfan87' like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I don't think it dismisses the past shows. But it's really only been the last few years where TV has had such a large quantity of quality shows, from all over the world, that are easily accessible to stream. There has always been great tv, but 15 years ago there was a lot less of it available. You would get series' like The Soprano's, The Wire, etc, but generally speaking show's weren't developed with an eye to the art of film making that they are today because we didn't have the amount of non commercial streaming options. So the majority of tv was still made for commercial networks, so much more difficult to deliver high quality in that forum. IMO.

curbach likes this.
  9. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I watched it while it aired in the US. I couldn't be bothered to wait months for it to come out here in the UK. The last episode was a bit of an anti-climax. I didn't even realise it was the season finale.

Humbuster likes this.
  10. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

And Breaking Bad, Mad Men, True Detective..
    I agree film has slipped massively in the last several years, and I've lost almost all interest in it. That's something I never imagined.
    This show did start out pretty well, but after the first 3 maybe there was a decline in the writing, never liked the daughter, or her acting.
    It was saved by Bridges, Lithgow.

kwadguy and Amnion like this.
  11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It’s now available to watch here in the UK on Disney+, starting with the the first two episodes. I hope to get to it over the next few days or so.

Scope J likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm new to this and have only watched episode one. The slow-written, series-pace had me squirming at times. I don't know if this has been mentioned already but there was a howling error in the episode (something that I've seen in other series/movies):
    When the two agents follow the car down a dark, dirt road and get out to look for him, our hero's car suddenly jumps out of nowhere at high speed and smashes into them. Bonkers - they would have heard the car roaring up towards them! Stupid writing. Not off to a very good start.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not being based on a superhero immediately puts it a leg up on most movies these days.

dead of night and carrick doone like this.
  14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

5 episodes in (we’re catching up over here) I am really enjoying this, especially Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow (and the dogs). I like the pace.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Don't like the dogs TOO much. :)

Amnion, unclefred and Dhreview16 like this.
  16. If you think episode one is slow-paced…

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Oh dear.
    What I didn't like in Episode 2: written too slow and...
    The (imagined) scene where he killed the cops and his newly found girlfriend. It's a common, annoying ploy now - shock scenes but, hey!... he was just imagining it!... he was only dreaming it!.. yawn.

18. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Agreed...and it only gets worse, with each agonizingly slow episode.

Shawn likes this.
  19. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Decent first episode, dramatically diminishing returns with each successive one. Zoe/Eady is awful. I'll watch John Lithgow in anything, but man, this one was tough.

Can we stop it already with the bad Taken rip-offs?

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

4 or 5 episodes in and things get a lot more interesting (rather than just the guy roaming with his dogs and wiping out threats... a yawn after a while).

21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Oh man, that was the stuff I liked. Once he got the girlfriend and the company politics I got real bored.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah but we've had so much of that already (Die Hard, Bourne Identity, Jack Reacher, Taken,...). It gets tedious after a while.

jwstl and Amnion like this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Fair enough. The first episode had a Coen Brothers feel that I liked. NO COUNTRY FOR THE OLD MAN, maybe.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    carrick doone and Shawn like this.
  24. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Being cautious here :hide:, but I think part of this is the old "If we want women to like it too, we need some romance or sexual tension". Which I'd find insulting if I was a woman. But I'm not...

twicks likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not much sex going on (a lot of tension though!).

carrick doone and Amnion like this.