The ones who got away - specific musicians who wanted for existing act, but it didn't materialize

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Referenced Richard Page of Mr. Mister in another thread. He was wanted by Toto to replace bassist David Hungate. They didn't get together.

Squeeze saw how well Pino Palladino was performing with Paul Young and Jools Holland's Millionaires. Not to be for Squeeze, who had to find another fretless bass player.

Speaking of Pino Palladino. He, along with Bill Bruford were Jimmy Page's first choice rhythm section for The Firm.

Roger Hodgson was approached to be Yes vocalist, but didn't want the baggage associated with it.

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  2. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I believe Kevin Gilbert was being recruited by Tony and Mike to join Genesis after Phil’s departure. Sadly, Kevin died before it could materialize.

anduandi and micksmuse like this.
  3. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Fripp asked David Sylvian to join King Crimson as vocalist.

Tree-bot and MungoMusic like this.
  4. Say It Right

The vocalist from Cutting Crew had at least been considered. (Also mentioned in the other thread, by coincidence.)

mtvgeneration and Jimbino like this.
  5. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Rory Gallagher turned down a request to join the Rolling Stones because he did not want to be "boxed in."

Saint Johnny likes this.
  6. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Steven Tyler has claimed several times that he turned down the chance to join Led Zeppelin. He auditioned for Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham, but denied he was rejected from their planned comeback. "I looked Jimmy in the eyes," Tyler said, "[and] I went, 'No.'"

7. Say It Right

Inside the book for the UK box set, it stated that Eric Johnson (!) was the only guitarist considered to replace Allan Holdsworth.

8. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Gene Simmons recruited Eddie Van Halen to join Kiss

breakingglass likes this.
  9. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I heard that Eddie wanted to join Kiss, but Gene talked him into sticking with his own band.

10. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Dave wanted Diamond Darrel to join Megadeth, but he wouldn't come unless brother Vinnie Paul was invited along to be the drummer. It didn't happen. Pantera continued on, as did Megadeth.

Devin likes this.
  11. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

In the liner notes for the Talking Heads compilation Sand In The Vaseline, David Byrne mentions that he thought Brian Eno had wanted the band to essentially be Eno's backing band. Not that I blame the band for not warming to the idea but it certainly would've been an interesting album to hear.

Say It Right likes this.
  12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Steve Marriott and Terry Reid for Led Zeppelin. Terry wanted to stick with his solo career and Don Arden asked Jimmy if he’d like ten broken fingers when Marriott was brought up.

Steve Marriott for The Rolling Stones. Steve told his wife he tried to play it cool when he jammed with them but he started shouting and singing. Keith wanted Marriott as Mick Taylor’s replacement. Steve just wouldn’t have worked, no matter how great he was. Ronnie Wood was the perfect choice.

Wasn’t Richard Page a choice to replace Peter Cetera in Chicago? I think he wanted to stay with Mr. Mister.

13. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Patti Smith was offered a spot as vocalist in Blue Oyster Cult in the days when she was dating Allen Lanier.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Robert Fripp claims Yes approached him to replace Peter Banks.

15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And Patty Smyth in Van Halen. ;)

Saint Johnny likes this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ian MacDonald was asked to re-join Crimson after David Cross left but he didn't and Fripp broke up the band.

17. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

BJ Wilson[Procol Harum] was asked to join this new band which became Led Zeppelin.

Noddy Holder[Slade] was asked to join AC/DC after Bon died. I did read a post ages ago from a member here saying this wasn't true, however i recall the interview with Noddy quite clearly and i believe him. The Young brothers were fans of Slade. Can't remember where the interview was from though.

Me. After Freddie died, the 3 remaining members of Queen did approach me a number of times to be their new lead singer, but each time i said the same thing, "Sorry, but i don't wear leotards!"

Doug Pinnick[King's X] turned down a request from Deep Purple.

18. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Christina Aguilera requested to sing with Claude Bryant and the All Stars. They declined the offer.

"You don’t want that? Oh, it’s OK. I don’t have to sing,” Aguilera was heard saying.

19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I recall hearing this at the time, and an online biography confirms it.

Del Shannon was spoken of as a replacement for Roy Orbison in the Traveling Wilburys. But his suicide put an end to that.

20. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Dee Dee Ramone was supposed to join GG Allin and the Murder Junkies, and actually rehearsed with them a couple times, but never played a show or recorded with with them.

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Didn't Miles Davis want Jimi Hendrix to play with him?

22. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

Eddie Van Halen wanted Billy Sheehan to replace Michael Anthony, when Talas (Sheehan's band) opened for VH in the early 80's.
    i'm not sure why M.A. gets such little respect from Eddie but...it would've been quite interesting to see Billy & Eddie duke it out on stage.

[​IMG]

23. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

A part of me still wonders what it would have been like to have Sheryl Crow in Fleetwood Mac!

24. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

As a Stones nut, I have never heard this detail. I think I had read auditioned, but when? Not during Black & Blue recording, which WAS the auditioning process for Taylor's eventual replacement where Ronnie Wood scored the gig after the Stones auditioned him along with Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel.

Did not know Keith WANTED Marriott, which would have been, I think, an interesting but odd choice - too much of a front man! But DID he in fact audition at all? Beck and Gallagher are names mentioned as having done so prior to B&B, and even Eric Clapton and Mick Ronson. But I have never heard of any interest, either way, between The Stones and Marriott.

MungoMusic likes this.
  25. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Iggy & The Doors?

Miles Davis asked Victor Feldman to join his working band, before he found Herbie Hancock, but Victor preferred the life of a stay-at-home session man. Now, he's remembered mainly for playing on Steely Dan records.

Miles also wanted to form a band with Larry Coryell in 1978, but Larry recognized that Miles wasn't really in shape. Pity that they didn't make an album, though, because the bit that they recorded together is pretty cool.

penguinzzz and Say It Right like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.