The ones who got away - specific musicians who wanted for existing act, but it didn't materialize

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

You can hear her on "The revenge of Vera Gemini" from "Agents of fortune". I like the song a lot:righton:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    heepsterandrey likes this.
  2. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

3. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Do you also not know that Mick also offered Chris Speeding the gig after Mick Taylor quit? But Spedding said, "I'll get back to you"!
    And supposedly Nils Lofgren begged for an audition, as well.

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

More of a collaboration than joining a group. Ditto for Miles was interested in working with Prince several years after that too, but these examples are not really the same thing as this topic.

5. Say It Right

Rumors from late 80's that Johnny Marr was supposed to join Talking Heads (he did appear on some tracks for Naked album) and also Pretenders.

Maurice likes this.
  6. music4life

music4life Senior Member

7. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Eddie Van Halen apparently asked Cold Chisel’s Jimmy Barnes if he’d be interested in stepping in to the position left vacant by David Lee Roth’s departure.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  8. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Little Feat asked Robert Palmer & Bonnie Raitt to join the band after Lowell George's passing. They declined.

Say It Right likes this.
  9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Colin Moulding reportedly offered the gig as Pink Floyd’s touring bassist after Roger Water’s departure. Not sure if it would’ve been a permanent arrangement but I think it worked out for the best.

10. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Michael Schenker was considered as a replacement for Joe Perry in Aerosmith in 79.

11. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Tom Scholz contacted Rik Emmett of Triumph in 1994 and offered him the lead vocalist's spot in BOSTON.

Emmett was interested........until he found out that Scholz only wanted to hire Emmett to sing on an upcoming tour. There would be no creative input involved. So, Emmett said "Thanks but no thanks."

12. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Not quite - the story goes that Mike and Tony somehow got a hold of the then unreleased concert video of Kevin and his band doing a TLLDOB tribute set at IIRC the 1994 NEARFest festival, and contacted his management to find out if he was interested in auditioning for the job. Apparently Kevin never found out about the offer to audition, because he was found dead by his manager who had been trying in vain to contact him with the news.

Jimbino likes this.
  13. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I think Miles trying to get John McLaughlin in his touring band might qualify though?

14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Ron and Russell Mael asked Brian May to join Sparks in 1974, presumably before recruiting Trevor White.
    The Maels felt that Queen had peaked commercially, and that May would be better off with them.
    He politely declined. Asked a few years ago if he'd any regrets. "Not really, no..."

15. Say It Right

A little confused. McLaughlin recorded with Miles on BB and Jack Johnson. Like how Rick Wakeman had recorded with Bowie, and was then asked to join Spiders from Mars tour.

16. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

I believe Tony Levin (who played bass on AMLOR) was also offered the gig but turned it down due to being very in-demand for session work. Ahhh, the Chapman Stick...

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

In Ronnie Wood’s book he talks about Keith wanting Marriott.

Here's what Steve's second wife, Pam, said in the Marriott biography All Too Beautiful:

"Steve told me, 'I was good and stood at the back for a while, but then Keith would hit this lick and I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.' Keith wanted him in, but there was no way that once Steve opened his mouth Mick would have him in the band. He knew Steve would never stay in the background. They were the one band in the world that Steve would have loved to have been in. He just wanted to work with Keith."

Say It Right likes this.
  18. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

According to Chris Charlesworth's Deep Purple book, Jon Lord almost became the 5th member of Bad Company after Purple's demise in 1976, but had second thoughts and took up David Coverdale's invitation to join Whitesnake instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.