"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

From now on, I'm going to celebrate my "morning release". You are all welcome to watch and celebrate. Breakfast will be served after the daily morning ceremony. Cold Cereal, toast, banana and milk for all.

2. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Ja’loja!

3. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Episode 2 was interesting. Great tv!

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Paralleled the real-world risk of downloading/watching that type of material on the internet.

sandmountainslim1 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Excellent second episode. And quite risqué, I thought, for an American prime-time show.
    I want more!

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought it was good and liked it, but I wouldn't quite put it in the excellent category. What I do like is how this show has a sense of continuity where themes explored in the previous season are further developed. This episode follows on from what happened in S1 About a Girl (one of my favorite eps) and delves into the fallout resulting from the decision made at the end. No reset button here, so kudos.

Also, the visuals were stunning in depicting the dying star. I think the bigger budget will be put to good use in these types of situations. However, I wish the spent some more money on science advisors because the physics of the planet being 'sucked' into the red giant were pretty bad (same problem as in Gravity).

I also liked that in the B plot, they were not able to save all the inhabitants, which is a more realistic outcome then getting everyone out in the nick of time, as usually happens on these type of shows.

kevywevy and Vidiot like this.
  7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Both of this season's episodes have been funnier than the average episode last season. I think that they're off to good start.

Thomas D likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My problem was the zero time spent on the survivors and how devastated they would be at losing all their older relatives and even their leader. That was kind of sloughed off in a way that I thought was dramatically haphazard and slipshod. The unevenness of the show still bothers me.

BTW, I just found out that the actress that plays Alara (Halston Sage) was dating show creator/star Seth MacFarlane for a year or so, but broke up sometime next year. I wonder whether her character is going to continue to be in the series... And I also noted that Norm McDonald's alien "blob" character has kind of disappeared.

Meanwhile, if you'll excuse me, it's time for The Sexual Event...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

The whole "dying planet sucked into a star" subplot was only there for some sweet vfx and to teach Bortus A Lesson About Family and also To Redeem His Disgrace. The inhabitants were just props.

--Geoff

Vidiot and Thomas D like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I mentioned in a prior post Alara (Halston Sage) will be leaving the show (in the next few eps). The reason appears to be due to her making a movie, but it could also be due to other reasons surrounding the relationship...

Alara is a fan favorite though (with me as well) and I also heard that she may return later after her other commitments are resolved. Her character will be replaced with another Xelayan in the meantime (and we'll get to see the planet itself).

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, you can make a good case for that.

12. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I hope Jason Alexander remains as a recurring character and I hope Norm McDonald's character doesn't return

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Decent episode. I had a 30 year old friend ask if I recommended the show and it was hard to answer; it’s rarely laugh-out-loud funny and is highly dependent on your familiarity with 1990s Star Trek.

14. I'm a bit late to the party but after seeing the first series of this last year I just love it. Going to have to wait til my friend has got season 2 and watch it with him.

Honestly the first series was one of my favourite sci-fi shows ever, I just liked the whole set up and tone.

schugh likes this.
  15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Tonight's episode was another good episode.

Anyone catch that Patrick Warburton (Puddy from Seinfeld, Joe from Family Guy) was the alien interim Security Chief with the trunk-like snout?

At first I didn't notice but then he started talking while eating his meal at his post and it was undeniable it was Warburton's voice. I then googled to see tonight's episode's special guests and, sure enough, it was him.

forthlin and davidb1 like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I picked him straight away - no mistaking that voice. However, I thought that his character bit was the weakest part of the episode.

It was a nice episode, but I find myself saying that a lot so far this season. 'Nice' is fine, but there haven't been any awesome eps thus far. For now, they've all been relationship-y type episodes with little meaty scifi. Note, I do like such eps, but they need to be interspersed between more hardcore scifi and not three in a row.

Also, I knew Alara was leaving and under what circumstances (both in the show and real life), so the ep didn't feel especially 'new'. I hope they really step it up from now as S2 ratings have been poor...

17. The problem for me with this show is that’s its simply just another Star Track series that’s not Trek. Somewhat serious topics with a humorous episode thrown in just like the other Trek series. Too much like it in fact.

Then each episode has one or two really funny McFarland lines and that’s it. Unfortunately it just doesn’t go far enough in a Wild wacky way

And now they bring in a Trek Star?

I keep trying.

Fail. Surprised they don’t have to acknowledge the Trek rip offs .

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Frankly it's a relief to get actual Trek (in spirit) back, rather then the dreck served up by the IP license holder.
    Thus far, this season (season 1 was filled with great eps), though I have upped my rating of s02e03 since watching it originally. Many more eps to go this season...
    It's not supposed to be that kind of show, it's not a parody, like say Galaxy Quest. Personally, I would like to see less wild and wacky humor and more scifi & character development focus, which Seth had said would be the case in S2.
    What Trek star do you mean?? There are many past Trek actors involved in the show right from the start as well as writers and producers.
    One man's ripoff is another man's homage. :) You can bet your boots that the legal department went over all the content with a fine tooth comb before approval.

I'm happy the show exists, even when not every episode fires on all quantum injectors.

kevywevy and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just don't know what to make of the show; it always seems its' intent is to be either 80% of what Trek was, or 70% of what people expect from a McFarlane joint. Never 100% of either.
    I get the impression, even if there was an episode with a karoke club in it, The Captain would take the mic and...not do a "crooner" performance that he could totally knock out of the park. :shrug:

Wife (who has seen about every Trek with me) and I both like the show, we just...wish there were more reason to like it.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

There was

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I watched last week. I've only seen a few episodes. I just don't get it. I bet I've seen more Star Trek than the average Orville viewer. The only thing I laugh at is the idea of Seth whatshisname in the Captain's chair. I get this vibe that says "I couldn't get cast in a real Star Trek spin-off so I created this show."

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  22. Rachael Bee

Seth had a bit part in an episode of Voyager.

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Did not know/remember that - which one?

24. Rachael Bee

I just finished watching Voyager all the way through. I don't remember which episode but it was in either the 5th or 6th season.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  25. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Show is definitely growing on me. Kind of what ST:TNG could've (should've) been.

Sucks that Halston Sage is leaving. Btw, she looks better without all that lipstick...though I'm not complaining too much.