"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. Yeah I get it. Entertainment. Although I have a back load of real great shows on streaming services and the DVR.

I just wish Orville was great. I dvr it every week the hopes that it would be great. For me it’s not.

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I recently binged all of season one and all of the season two episodes that have aired so far. I love it. I like the fact that it isn't a Space Balls version of Trek and like the way the comedy is handled. Best Trek series since TNG.

3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It’s more Trek than what you’re calling “real Trek”. And it serves the purpose of being a show that doesn’t need to be just comedy or just drama. It’s kind of sad that some people don’t know what to do with a show that isn’t just one or the other :shrug:

DPM, Linger63 and Deesky like this.
  4. I think the few laughs are mild. At least for me. Maybe it’s a perception of what I’m used to and expect from Macfarlane.

I know it’s not Galaxy Quest but that was so smart and funny.

Did the already dump the Norm McDonald Slug ???

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Remember that Seth MacFarlane had been trying to sell this show for several years, long before it finally aired (or before Paramount revived Star Trek for CBS All-Access). I think it served a better purpose in 2015 when it was first conceived. You can make a good argument that Galaxy Quest is really the first incarnation of this idea (back in 1999). I think The Orville is a bigger steal of that film than it is from Star Trek, but it's still an entertaining show. I still chuckle that they don't have a transporter, which has led to all kinds of story issues.

No, Norm ("Lt. Yaphit") was in a recent episode, albeit only for a few moments (and it was definitely his voice).

6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Spoken like someone that has no idea what they’re talking about. The Orville has absolutely nothing in common conceptually or plot-wise with Galaxy Quest. Apparently the only thing you know about the film is that it’s funny. That doesn’t mean it’s the first incarnation of any- and everything sci-fi-funny that follows.

boggs likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Last year liked it better than Discovery. This year first two episodes of Discovery have been amazing! Orville's fist few episodes have lost a step for me. Watching the most recent two tonight, we'll see.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep 5 was another great episode in the Trek tradition - first contact, diplomacy, allegory, lateral thinking to resolve a situation peacefully, etc.

We also see Alara's replacement who is a very different, more mature character. I like her already, though I miss Alara. The humor in this ep was very understated and quite funny. For me, that's a better balance than the sometimes belabored OTT humor. A really enjoyable episode.

Vidiot, budwhite, Daryl M and 3 others like this.
  9. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

This most recent episode didn't land for me - it seemed like all it would have taken to resolve everything is to point out that when you're from so far away, the stars are aligned differently and you're probably not even under the same stars in the first place. Diplomatic offer to share star charts or whatever in exchange for our people back (since they couldn't have been born under the problematic configuration), everyone's home by suppertime.

reapers likes this.
  10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

That new security chief is probably gonna punch you! ;) .....for your own good. of course.

I thought that last night's episode had a clever plot. There wasn't as many jokes as I'd prefer. I'm sure some future episodes will have some fun sex scandals with some erotic alien species. Alien sex is why they're exploring the galaxy, I'm so-ooo sure!

Al Kuenster and Dok like this.
  11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I haven't watched this ep. yet. Last week's plot was good too, but usually the plots are basically throwaway devices to foster the main, human drama/comedy plots. Either that or they are direct copies from other shows (like the ripoff of the Corbomite Maneuver last episdode - many other examples). The humor and satire and unique characters and interactions are the claim to fame of this show, and it is funny how people who disagree get all bent out of shape defending the drama sometimes.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My immediate thoughts were similar - obviously the star alignments as seen from another solar system would be completely different (or even seen from the same planet if you allow enough time to pass).

However, pointing this out would have had absolutely no effect because the society adhered to a hard dogmatic belief. These types of beliefs are at the core of one's identity and therefore are impervious to arguments from logic and reason (you see this all the time in the real world).

If I had a nit to pick it would be the confinement camps. We had one of the inmates wonder why ever would anyone even try to escape? Everyone there had violent tendencies and therefore by being separated from the wider community, they were actually doing a service for the greater good.

So why then were the camps modeled on WW2 POW camps with gun towers, heavily armed guards and sadistic Kommandants? If no one ever even thought of escaping and considered it a form a service to society, then this is complete overkill and unnecessary.

But, as I say, it's just a minor nitpick in what was a great episode.

13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The Doctor is kind of hard up. LOL

I guess she now has her own personal "sex doll".

Nice to see Norm MacDonald's character in human form too. He does actually look like Norm MacDonald when in human form. ;)

I guess this episode parallels the ST:TNG episode in which Data was exploring intimate human relations.

budwhite and Dr. Pepper like this.
  14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

In some future episode we may see premature battery failure....? ;)

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I was sure I would not enjoy this episode. I did not like the Data episode that was similar in STNG, but the ending of this really paid off! The humor in it was more natural and didn't feel as forced. The symphony scene was well done. Seth Macfarlane directed this episode and he did a nice job.

For the first time this year, I enjoyed this week's Orville episode better than this week's Star Trek: Discovery episode.

16. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Personally, I found this week's episode completely stoopid. The idea of a human falling for a machine that has no emotions, but can satisfy the human sexually provides for a depraved future. Even the associated comedy seemed too contrived for me.

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I really enjoyed it, and I would think women probably did as well at least those that are SF fans. I sort of reminded me of Her, and addressed a lot of things--not all relationships are based on sex alone. I don't think that future would be all that depraved if our emotional needs were attended too. Most people just need a friend/companion that understands them. I think companion robots would be great.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As with most Orville plot developments, they don't just appear in a vacuum (ahem!). By that I mean there is continuity across different episodes and even across seasons, so Claire 'falling' for a machine didn't come out of nowhere.

Isaac has been helping Claire with her children going back to S1, including a whole episode dedicated the them being stranded on a planet where Isaac keeps the kids safe from harm and making a connection. Claire is of course grateful and their relationship is further showcased in succeeding episodes, even if it's just a small scene here and there.

I can see how Claire would develop feelings for a protector and a surrogate father figure for her children. And if she gets jiggy with it, who cares? If you think that's depraved, then scifi may not be your thing. Sex with robots/androids/sex-dolls has been pretty much a staple in scifi from the very beginning.

I thought it was another great episode.

kevywevy and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Considering how young listeners are starting to relate to artificially-created online characters disguised as music artists...just how impossible is this, really...?

20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Big TNG vibe on this episode. I enjoyed it.
    And Bortus looked cool with a mustasch

21. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Agreed. Bortus needs the mustache.

DHamilton likes this.
  22. budwhite

He looked a bit creepy and weird before. By design of course.
    Keep the mustash. Big improvement.

23. budwhite

24. Best episode . Finally hunor throughout and better pacing .

misterbozz likes this.
  25. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

The scene with Isaac in his underwear was probably one of the first genuine laugh out loud moments of this series for me.

neo123 and DreadPikathulhu like this.