"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You took the words out of my mouth! It was like a mini original SW trilogy wrapped in a compact 49 minutes. And it wasn't just the visuals, but also the full-on orchestral supporting music, very reminiscent of John Williams.

I loved it to bits - it was clever, fast paced, visually and musically stunning and it was a perfect fit to the setup in part 1, and with great season-wide continuity.

I must also point out one really short, but cool scene that I can't remember ever seeing before. We're accustomed to seeing a ship going into warp/quantum drive from a vantage out in space. However, here we saw the jump to warp looking from the back of the ship where the outside scenery disappears into a point (rather than the ship). Such a cool, inventive little detail.

I swear, if this show doesn't get renewed, there's a place inside a black hole's event horizon for the Mouse overlord!

Vidiot, rmath84, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

It was a relief that they went right into the time line issue. I was afraid that they may use it next season to explain some cast members not returning.

3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Speaking of cast members and returning - how about that Alara...!

scobb, rmath84, Kyhl and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gems-A-Bems

So how were they able to stay in and then escape the event horizon? The magic of the quantum drive that they didn’t know was working again until they had already escaped?

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ordinarily, a physical object, and indeed light itself, could not escape an event horizon, but my guess is that since the ship is capable of going faster than lightspeed (by means of quantum drive), it was sufficiently fast to escape. They also stuck close inside the event horizon (even though in reality an EH is not a hard boundary), so that they would only need to go slightly faster than light to escape.

budwhite and Kyhl like this.
  6. Gems-A-Bems

But that’s what I mean. When they went in the quantum drive wasn’t working.

7. A nice bit of Star Wars homage and a subtle nod to "Lady and the Tramp" in the same episode. Genius.

I also chuckled at Ed's comment about Gordon just before Ed and Kelley indulge in a bit of tonsil hockey in the bar.

Dok likes this.
  8. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Kelley and Gordon already live together. Well, the actors are married to each other.

9. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Actually, I didn't know that, but they indeed got engaged in January. Good for them (and especially him!)
    Wonder what he thought of all of her, ahem, cleavage in this episode. I know I, well, enjoyed it.
    [​IMG]

GreenDrazi, Bhob and budwhite like this.
  10. Right....the line would not have made any sense if they did not have a real life relationship.

11. He probably thought, I see this every day. Eat your hearts out. :)

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I just watched it and thought it was great. Sure, plot holes all around, but that's a given whenever there is a time travel deal. This show actually steals from almost every other space TV show in history, but I love it! For some reason it works, probably because of the cast.

They damn well better renew it.

BGLeduc and sixtiesstereo like this.
  13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I really liked last night's episode. But I am going to watch it again uninterrupted later in the week when it comes available On Demand. I was watching the NFL Draft flipping back and forth between commercials and I missed the first 5-7 minutes of the episode because there was a thunderstorm and Tornado Warning/Watch in my area and my local Fox affiliate stayed on the air during that time. Instead of coming on with the info during commercials between Gotham and The Orville, they waited until after the commercials and after the previews for next week's Gotham before breaking in with the weather report. Pisses me off that the local affiliates do that. They let the commercials air before breaking in with reports, thus missing parts of the show.

14. Gems-A-Bems

Glad someone does. I found her obviously fake boobs unattractive and distracting. Thankfully she has actual talent and doesn’t have to rely solely on them.

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Great episode! The production design was awesome. Huge old school Star Wars vibe. A bit of TNG and Alien/Aliens too. Great great musical score.

Renew it already!

rmath84 and Deesky like this.
  16. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Nice to know that push-up bras still exist in the 25th century.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No official word yet, but there might be some behind the scenes reasons for this. Seth's contract with Fox is reportedly up for renewal in a few weeks. He's pretty hot property now (and has been for some time) and so I'm sure he'll be looking to substantially improve his deal in the contract negotiations. So Fox may not be making an announcement until that is settled. However, if they don't retain his services (they'd be fools), then others will surely snap him up, especially Netflix or Sony, in which case The Orville (and Family Guy) may end up on a different network.

Throw into the mix the imminent TV Upfronts and, well, something's gotta give very soon!

18. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I enjoy this show very much, I'm very grateful that it's turned out to be so good.
    I think Gotham is a great lead in to Orville, but I guess I'm in the minority there.
    Like Deesky said, Fox would be foolish to loose Seth.

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I would say that I put ST Discovery S1 over Orville S1.
    But Orville clearly wins for S2. Some great story lines and over the top space action this season.

20. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I never got the whole competition thing between Orville and Discovery in fandom. Enjoy them both for what they are.

Linger63, scobb and Kyhl like this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Two observations:
    1) Fairly sure I heard musical cues as a nod to Alien/Aliens during the "wander the halls of the deserted Orville" scenes.
    2) Adrianne Palicki needs to eat something. I'm afraid her twig-like legs may break under the stress of normal gravity - maybe even zero g!

22. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I thought I was the only one who noticed how skinny that woman is!

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

She wasn't that skinny when she was on Friday Night Lights or in other early roles such as her role in GI Joe: Retaliation. But I just did some internet searches and apparently she has Celiac Disease, which affects the small intestines and causes chronic diarrhea. It's an autoimmune disorder and is caused by a reaction to Gluten. Also, she is 5'11" in real life. So, being tall helps in her appearance of being skinny. She was really buff in GI Joe: Retaliation, but that was due to lifting weights and other workouts for the part.

Also, a Dark Horse Comics series tie-in to The Orville is coming our way in July:

Exclusive: The Orville's David Goodman rockets into Dark Horse Comics' tie-in series

Daryl M, Deesky and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  24. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Now I feel really, really bad about my comment. Growing up with a father who had ulcerative colitis, I know how awful it can be to have an issue such as she has. :cry:

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That sucks. I also noticed how much skinnier she appears this season, but my recollection from S1 was that she was of a 'normal' build, so maybe she had some setbacks between seasons? Big fan of her character.