The Outlaws-An Open Discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

that would be a wonderful box set!

clhboa likes this.
  2. Michael

agreed!

carlwm likes this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Understandable. They are great albums. However, it's a shame they've overshadowed everything else the band has recorded. Even my least favourite Outlaws album - Los Hombres Malo - is a decent enough listen.

Michael likes this.
  4. Berlin SO 36

Berlin SO 36 Forum Resident

I can't make it through Los Hombres Malo or Soldiers of Fortune. A while back, I checked out a 1986 radio concert from Long Island when they touring behind the latter album and toward the end Henry Paul thanks the audience "for showing up during our hour of need." Even he knew that they were riding out the 80s, hoping that the musical climate would change. Thankfully, Hughie recovered eight years later with the great Diablo Canyon album.

That would be interesting to have an Outlaws version of Steven Wilson (Jethro Tull) remix those albums, especially Playin' To Win and In The Eye of the Storm. That said; I listened to the Ghost Riders album yesterday and can't figure out why no one ever mentions the excellent production for that one -- how they got a southern-rock version of Springsteen's Born To Run.

A few years back, someone issued this odds and sods anthology, with parts of several concerts. Would be nice if they could do a proper box set with each remastered Arista album featuring lots of miscellaneous tracks and a full concert from each tour. Not holding my breath as I don't believe The Outlaws have a large enough audience that would make it fiscally worthwhile (like the aforementioned Jethro Tull box sets) but who knows.

Michael and carlwm like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Funnily enough, I've got a real soft spot for Soldiers Of Fortune. I'll add the caveat that I'm happy enough with Eighties production tropes and it's a very Eighties sounding record. Side One (in old money) is as strong a set of songs as the band ever put out. Really brilliant. Always found it interesting that Hughie recycled the melody of The Night Cries for Dregs Fall To The Wicked on the next album. Must have really like it.

Side two isn't quite as good. The two songs without any band input in the writing sound as much like King Kobra as The Outlaws but there are still some gems to be found.

Totally agree about Diablo Canyon. Fine record. Chris Hicks was a great choice to ride shotgun with Hughie.

MYQ1 likes this.
  6. Michael

I agree...

carlwm likes this.
  7. Michael

love his work, but I don't see a remix needed for any of their albums...

carlwm likes this.
  8. Michael

for me it was always about Hughie and Billy.

carlwm likes this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's the classic for sure but Chris Hicks and Freddie before him managed to put a positive stamp on the band, at least in my opinion.

MYQ1 and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

fair enough. ; )

carlwm likes this.
  11. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Don’t listen to the much any more. Great band in their day. Once Billy was gone they were missing something that they never got back. As far as a box set, not much of a demand for their stuff anymore.

12. Berlin SO 36

At your recommendation, I gave it a listen. The songs are better than I was expecting but I can't get past the production, keyboards, etc. (and I'm not an 80s hater/quite the opposite, as my fandom of early Thomas Dolby, Jethro Tull "A," mid-era Kate Bush exemplifies). Would be great if they could've rerecorded the songs with a proper Outlaws presentation.

Recycled the melody? The Night Cries is an exact replica of Dregs Fall to the Wicked with slightly different lyrics!

carlwm likes this.
  13. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

I saw the Outlaws in 75 I think it was
    At Rich stadium in Buffalo they open for the Rolling Stones.
    They kicked ass so hard it was unbelievable they were great

clhboa and MYQ1 like this.
  14. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

I appreciate this thread is about the American band, but could I mention that there was a British instrumental outfit called The Outlaws in the 1960s and they made some great records (produced by the legendary Joe Meek). If you're into guitar instrumentals, you ought to check them out!

15. Cousin Stanley

Cousin Stanley Forum Resident

That wasn’t the only song from Soldiers OF Fortune to get reworked. Racing For The Red Light became Evil, Wicked, Mean and Nasty on Hittin’ The Road Live. I like SOF and the original Japanese CD sounds good too.

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ha! I was being kind about Dregs but I suppose there's nothing wrong with plagiarising yourself. :)

It's tantalising to wonder what someone like Paul Rothchild, Bill Szymzcyk or even Rodney Mills, if they wanted someone with some Eighties kudos, would have made of Soldiers Of Fortune but truthfully, I like it as it is.

17. Berlin SO 36

Xmas comes early for you: here's the full NYC 1986 radio concert, where the Soldiers of Fortune material sounds much better. The encore is the great Billy Jones song Prisoner/no idea who's singing it but he sounds a lot like Billy, whom I thought had left the band in 1981.

Cousin Stanley and carlwm like this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Excellent, thanks! That's my lunch break sorted! :righton:

I'm not sure who sings on Prisoner. Chris Anderson was in the band by then so maybe it's him? Just been trying dig for info on-line without much luck, however I did find that this show is available to buy on CD but curiously, it omits Prisoner but includes Knoxville Girl, Ghost Riders and the inevitable Green Grass & High Tides. Might see if I can find a copy although your link will do very nicely in the meantime! :righton:

Cousin Stanley likes this.
  19. Berlin SO 36

Enjoy, and I concede your initial point that the Soldiers of Fortune songs are quite good. I just needed to hear them outside the studio album.

What a sobering experience for southern-rock bands that kept playing through the mid-80s. Only four years after selling out arenas, The Outlaws were back to playing 400-capacity clubs.

Cousin Stanley, clhboa and carlwm like this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Crazy. They are probably playing to consistently larger audience these days, even if only on package tours.

Glad you're enjoying the SOF songs in their different format! :righton:

Michael likes this.
  21. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I always thought it was weird that they covered an Elvis Costello song. It didn't really fit them well.

Michael and Cousin Stanley like this.
  22. Berlin SO 36

I guess that shows how already in 1979 The Outlaws (and/or their handlers) had seen the writing on the wall. Southern rock was on its popular decline and they were trying to stay "relevant," despite still playing big venues. I saw them on that tour and they filled a 13,000-seat arena although a lot of the attendees were there for the opening band Molly Hatchet, who had just released Flirting With Disaster.

Michael, clhboa and carlwm like this.
  23. Berlin SO 36

After further review, I believe that you're correct. An impressively accurate imitation of Billy!

carlwm and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

: )

25. Michael

Indeed!

carlwm likes this.