"The Passion Of The Christ"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Has anyone seen it yet?

Opinions, comments?

Please, be careful in this thread! The Gorts will close in a second if it gets out of hand. No religous debate/bashing...

2. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Haven't seen it, don't intend to see it. Are you going to see it Steve?

Jeff

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't know yet.

4. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Not after this review in The NY Times. How come they don't make nice "family" movies like "The Godfather" anymore?

"Mel Gibson's version of the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus, controversial long before it was seen, is a harrowingly violent spectacle that invites the audience's revulsion in the hopes that it will turn into something like awe. After a horror-movie beginning, complete with demons, menacing music and creepy camera moves, Mr. Gibson settles into a long, relentless contemplation of torture, maiming and execution. His stated goal was realism, but the emphatic musical, visual and aural effects — the first nail is driven into Jesus' palms with a sickening thwack that must have required hours of digital tweaking — make the film a melodramatic exercise in high-minded sadomasochism. In spite of concerns about the anti-Semitism of Mr. Gibson's portrayal of the Pharisees, the movie is more grueling and unnerving than outrageous or offensive. For a movie made out of such evident religious conviction, it seems utterly lacking in grace." — A. O. Scott, The New York Times

5. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I will probably see it in the next couple of days. I'll report back!

P.S., just imagine what this mediafest is doing to box-office sales...

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Yep, I'll go see it. The Pope said "It is as it was", after all - and he's the expert on the subject.

I don't know what to expect, though... maybe I won't be able to make it through the whole film.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I think the Pope really said "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Sorry, couldn't resist!

They actually retracted that statement. They say he has nothing to say about it.

It's not what I would call the "feel good movie of the year". Might be interesting from a cinematic point of view, but I'm not a religious person, so.....think I'll pass.

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I can understand the concern for the film's violence. This is what the movie will be remembered for. Was it really necessary to depict the torture Jesus endured quite so graphically? The reasoning, I think, is to illustrate exactly what you've read and been taught all these years in a way you'll really get it.

All Christians have been taught that Jesus died for our sins and sacrificed his life for us. But this was not a "simple" execution. The man endured hours of physical pain and suffering. Gibson's point seems to be that we understand exactly, and so vividly, what this sacrifice entailed. He chose not to sugar-coat or divert attention from what we knew to have happened. But by seeing it, as if witnesses ourselves, we are experiencing the horror in an almost first-hand manner.

I have no plans on actually seeing the movie. I'm not into gory violence, and having attended Catholic schooling for 12 years, I think I know the story. I do not believe Gibson's intent is to place blame.

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Dave, I'll be watching it strictly for religious reasons - just as a "friendly" reminder as to what my faith is all about. I'm not expecting a "feel good" movie at all...

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I know, I was kidding. It looks pretty intense!

11. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

It definitely looks intense...I'm not religious at all, either, but I'm intrigued and will go see it.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I may try to see it next week after some of the more passionate movie-goers have seen it.

Joel Siegel, a local NY Movie Reviewer for ABC-TV (who is Jewish) gave it a thumbs up last night. He didn't understand all the fuss and thought it was a good movie.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I want to see this movie, and will at the first opportunity. I want to see for myself what all the fuss is about.

Gibson claims he lifted it directly from scripture. But...there are a LOT of people upset over this film for various reasons, mostly because of historical inaccuracies and violence. I have no problem with the violence.

My wife simply says that the movie is not made for children, thus, not a family movie.

14. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member

I may be mistaken, but I've heard there are going to be a bunch of product tie-ins related to the film (i.e. sales of necklaces with nails as pendants, etc.) If this is true, it seems pretty low, almost like a deliberate cash-in on the death of Christ. Just my opinion, though... :angel:

15. Grant

There already on the market. I have no problem with the promotional tie-ins. But, from the talking heads on the telly, i'm hearing all sorts of outrageous implications from the release of this movie!

16. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Thank you for asking. The wife and I just got back from seeing it. I think it has more plus's than minus's. A little too many bible verses not being where they should be. A lot of things happening that I've never read in the bible (spelled Hollywood). Great scourging and crucifixion scenes. My wife was complaining about the brutality of the Roman soldiers and I reminded her that it wasn't their fault. It was her and I that caused it.

17. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

I admire Gibson for making this movie. Remember when he didn't even have a distributor for this film? He put up his own money to make it. Anyways I might see this movie. It seems he tried to do something like The Passion of Joan of Arc, but for Jesus. A good idea by the way and definately worth the effort.

:edthumbs: for effort and :confused: about execution cause haven't seen it

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Mel must be thrilled with all this publicity......this small film may end up #1 in box office thanks to some of the comments being made by some people who should know better.

This film is gonna be one of those must-see's from all the hype.

19. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Reviewers of quality and intelligence are panning this movie. It comes from Gibson's heart and his father's mind, not from scripture. He has to be loving the controversy about how violent it is and whether it's anti-Semitic. The publicity is bound to sell a few more tickets. Note that although the Gibson family are not Holocaust deniers or anti-Semitic per se, they have helped introduce a new term, that of 'Holocaust minimizers'. When asked directly about the Shoah, his answer is that the Nazi's killed a lot of people in the concentration camps, and many of them were Jews. Too bad I can never truly enjoy The Road Warrior again. Now that was a great action flick.

20. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Good comments.

It taught me to have a deeper appreciation for his sacrifice.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Mel is a Catholic and from a Catholic's view:)

22. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Actually it was found out that he actually DID say that but someone at the Vatican decided not to get 'involved' in the whole controversy and tried to back track.

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm not going to see it. I don't normally see excessively violent films anyway and this particular film doesn't interest me anyway.

24. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Thanks for the review. I plan on seeing it, too. I agree with the last sentence in your post (as I am included as well).

25. Grant

I don't believe that this is the mind of Gibson's father at work. I think this is all Gibson's interpretation. Gibson will not talk about his father's beliefs, but I don't think Mel shares them, either. His father was allegedly racist.

We seem to be straying, so, getting back to the topic, I don't understand why Hollyweird has problems with this movie. It seems to be right up it's alley, with the violence and all. And, hey, it's a good story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.