The Pastel Six - Cinnamon Cinder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CraigVC, Sep 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member Thread Starter

@Steve Hoffman are there any stories or information you can tell us about this band from the early 60s that you mastered a compilation CD for in 1998 on the DCC-affiliated Garland label? It seems like an obscure choice so I'm guessing either you or Marshall had a personal reason for remastering and releasing this music?

I tried some internet searches but there's very little information that I could find. I found a sentence about them here:
    The Pastel Six - Biography - 45cat
    "They used to be the house band at the Cinnamon Cinder, Orange County for a while and were actually seven; Bob Toten, Bill Myers, Dave Cadison, Tony Stealman, Eric Fickert, Rick Rodriguez and Lynn Hamm."

Does anyone on these forums know more about The Pastel Six that you could share here? Did anyone see them perform back then? Where are they now?

I'm also curious about the songwriting credits for each of the tracks listed below.

It's interesting because my "Generation Y" partner Sara finds this music (created 20 years before she was born) really appealing, particularly track 17 "Strange Ghost" -- is that a Pastel Six original? I think it's so cool how durable music can be, across generations.

The Pastel Six - Cinnamon Cinder

Tracklist
    1 Cinnamon Cinder (It's A Very Nice Dance)
    2 Richard's Bounce
    3 Open House
    4 Little Girl
    5 Cotton High
    6 Slow Bandito
    7 Take It Off
    8 A Week From Tuesday
    9 By Golly
    10 Karela
    11 Open House At The Cinder (Wemo Stomp)
    12 Peppermint Stick
    13 Hot Dogger
    14 Twitchin'
    15 Don't Leave Me
    16 Rendezvous Rods
    17 Strange Ghost
    18 Surfer Smooch (Heidi)
    19 Bandito
    20 Brahms' Nightmare

[​IMG]

2. CraigVC

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Man, haven't heard this stuff in a while. A nice "R&B" type group that recorded at Wenzel's Music Town. Some good stuff on there. Several songs I named, one Robert Pincus named. On the reel they were marked "No Name #1," etc.

Nice bass guitar on the songs. I think ACE UK owns this stuff now, right?

4. Steve Hoffman

The Downey bands like the RUMBLERS, PASTEL 6, HUSTLERS, etc., they wanted to be like The Famous Flames, R&B flavored white boy instrumental bands. Perfect for playing local dances. They didn't consider themselves Surf Music bands at all..

5. CraigVC

Yes, the bass guitar particularly stood out for me on these tracks.

Thanks for the interesting tidbit about the "No Name #1" titles for their music on the reels.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  6. CraigVC

The "they wanted to be like ____" aspect of bands of that era is fascinating for me.

I recently listened to a Malcolm Gladwell podcast ("Revisionist History") on that very topic, in which he explored the motivations and end-results of two 50's era artists, Pat Boone and Elvis Presley, comparing and contrasting how each approached the way they were inspired by and borrowed from contemporary black artists. The podcast episode is titled "In A Metal Mood" from August 8th (it spends some time on Pat Boone's covers album of heavy metal music, thus the episode title).

Comparing two randomly-selected examples from The Pastel Six and The Famous Flames, probably recorded and/or released within a year of each other, is very interesting!

The Pastel Six "Cinnamon Cinder":

The Famous Flames "Think!"
    ♪ James Brown & The Famous Flames - Think! 1961

7. Steve Hoffman

Not exactly in the James Brown playing field. More like the P6 were a high school version of the Church Street Five..

CraigVC likes this.
  8. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I have never been a 7" collector and indeed in a move awhile back seem to have lost most of my 90s indie rock ones.....but falling in love with this obscurity via my miracle oldies station KFXM-FM out of Lancaster CA, when I found this single in a florida beach town thrift store the other year I had to buy it and very glad to have it! Weirdly the same month some music book I was reading, title now forgotten, mentioned the club the song was about.

9. Steve Hoffman

Bob Eubanks owned the club, didn’t he? KRLA DJ at the time. He made sure the record was played. Probably paid for it.

Wasn’t the CC Club alcohol free?

10. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Where's the love for "The Milkshake"? It's delicious, it's nutritious, it's tasty man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.