The peculiar nature of the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary mix and its consequences for The White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyrell, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I agree with most of this..

Yes to stereo remixing everything pre-1968 for the reasons you gave.

No to stereo remixes of Abbey Road & Let It Be - they are fine stereo mixes already, recorded on 8-track machines from start to finish.

5.1 mixes would be fine on a box set for those albums.. as would outtakes and rehearsals & the Glyn Johns rejected mixes for Let It Be.

The White Album is problematic, because part of it was recorded with the freedom that 8-track gave them but part of it was recorded on 4-track (or started on 4-track then copied to 8-track). Since there were still technical limitations on some of the songs recording, I'll be ok with a stereo remix of the White Album, drawn from pre-bounce tapes just like the Pepper remix.

It's true that in parts the original stereo mix White Album is less antiquated/hard-panned than pre-1968 Beatles, there's still instances where the same old limitations were being struck.. they hadn't completely broken free of that.

2. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Hope springs eternal ...

I like the 2017 Sgt. Pepper generally, but it's rather fatiguing. Please not, for a "white album" reissue. :(

EricSwan likes this.
  3. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Giles is the chosen one. He has Martin blood in him and that makes him the default choice. His DNA qualifies him. It’s about keeping it in the family and all that. Paul, Yoko, Olivia and Ringo feel that they can trust Giles. He will eventually be allowed to remix the entire catalogue for 5.1,cd and streaming. It’s only a matter of time. His remixes will likely replace the originals as well. That’s why I bought the 2009 mono cd set before the originals go out of print and disappear.

Dinstun likes this.
  4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The idea that any major historical bloc of Beatles releases will disappear and become unavailable due to being "replaced" by remixes seems alarmist to me. Coexistence of originals and remixes (especially among serious Beatlemaniacs, the ones who really matter in terms of preserving the canon) is far more likely than a Darwinian survival-of-the-fittest obliteration scenario.

5. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The mono mix is newly remastered and included in the Deluxe box itself. The original stereo has been newly cut for the DeAgostini vinyl collection.

I think it's safe to say the originals are never going to vanish.

Pancat, BZync, D.B. and 6 others like this.
  6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Everyone currently on this forum will vanish before the originals do. As for what the people of Earth will listen to after that, we will all quite literally be beyond caring.

7. For the record (NPI), I like the Pepper 50th anniversary mix, with the exception of Good Morning, Good Morning.

But I really don't see the need to remix the White Album. Now if Giles would do Revolver...

stevenson66g likes this.
  8. Stone Turntable

We hadn’t noticed that the lights had changed, eventually.

Mr. Explorer and Shaddam IV like this.
  9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Apple Corps should just let him remix the entire catalogue for 5.1 and cd. It would sound amazing.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If I had to pick one track off of the Pepper remix from which I expected more, it would be ADITL. I completely hear what you're saying about the drums...and far as being mixed too far "back", what of the scorching solo in GM GM?? Confusingly subdued, I thought/think. Judging by the powerhouse treatment Giles gave the lead guitar in the title track, I was expecting to be floored by the lead in GM GM. Don't get me wrong, I still think it sounds great but I'm just saying I expected something different for the solo.

...by the by...I think his remix of ADITL in L O V E is the best sounding version of that particular little song.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't think he was out to create a tribute to the mono; he simply utilized elements from it in terms of texture (and in a couple of cases, tape speed) to create a new stereo mix. To my ears, he takes just as much from the original stereo mix as he does from the mono while adding some brand new touches (such as the brighter, more upfront vocal in WYWY, the percussion in GM GM...) to create something wholly new. While even fans of the remix can nitpick (including myself), I'd say that for the most part, he succeeded.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:rolleyes:

teag likes this.
  13. Further

Further Forum Resident

I just hope that if this happens, it comes out sounding at least as good as the remix of Pepper on LP, if not better. I've read a lot of complaints about the sound of the remix and I have to believe for the most part, people are talking about the CD, which I can believe is over the top loud but thankfully, I haven't heard it as I immediately purchased the double LP and was quite happy with it. In fact, I had no idea what some of the complaints were about at the time of release, as the apparent problems on CD/Digital were not on my vinyl copy. I know some people just hate the idea of remixing The Beatles, period but if it's purely from a loudness/compression standpoint, try it on vinyl if you dare. I'm glad I did.

That being said, isn't it great that we can all have multiple mixes of these albums, get such a fresh take on a classic album and most of all, just listen to what we prefer most.

14. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Just remix everything and put it out there. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. I will though!

bherbert and Shaddam IV like this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I would imagine everyone else will do the same.:winkgrin:

Shaddam IV and DK Pete like this.
  16. Shaddam IV

Dammit, all this Beatle talk has got me playing the Beatles again, I was hoping to give them a long break till the WA reissue.

Anyway, I've been comparing mixes. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing "All You Need Is Love" is the most remixed track in the catalog. Does that sound right? I count at least 5 distinct stereo mixes:

'67 Stereo
    Anthology DVD
    YSS Songtrack
    Love

The "Love" version is my fav, except for the fade (where elements from other tracks are added). The Anthology DVD mix is probably the strangest, if memory serves the mono orchestra track is stereo-ized.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    supermd, DK Pete and bherbert like this.
  17. Shaddam IV

I guess we can add a Yellow Submarine DVD mix and Rock Band mix to that, making a total of 7. That's a lot of mixes.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. Stone Turntable

Touché.

;)

19. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

There's room for all connotations; I still enjoy the 'vintage' stereo mix. When I was younger 'Sgt. Pepper' seemed unworldly because of it's harsh panning of the stereo image and it's just another piece of the magic that endeared it to me.
    As for the 'The Beatles', I spent many, many nights listening to that on my little tinpot headphones connected to my Sony Walkman. So any new variations will be an interesting voyage of 're-discovery', I'm sure...

Kundera the joke. and Shaddam IV like this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

We are talking about one of the biggest bands in the entire world and stereo/mono mixes that have been around for 50 years give and/or take. They are not going anywhere, nor will they be replaced

First off what does "replace" mean, because there is nothing going away especially in the age of the internet/digital where nothing vanishes

And if people are concerned about the remixes being looked at as "the" version or whatever, well considering post-Sgt. Pepper remix culture, I wouldn't worry about that

Pancat and Shaddam IV like this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Well put, I am not sure where that fear comes from

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I sat here thinking for a minute and can't come up with any others. We're in complete agreement concerning the L O V E mix.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I completely forgot about Rock band...but on the YS DVD mix...isn't the actual mix the same but just a different edit (i.e., shortened version of the song)..?

Shaddam IV likes this.
  24. Shaddam IV

I don't remember! I used to have it ripped to audio, but lost it to a hard drive failure.

Edit: Of course if we're counting 5.1 also...

DK Pete likes this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yea verily, on the third day, Giles emerged from the vaults with the Holy Masters in hand and the clouds parted and the light poured forth anointing him as the Chosen One. . .

I really don't get your fixation this point. They will surely produce more remixes, but the originals aren't going anywhere.

D.B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.