The peculiar nature of the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary mix and its consequences for The White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyrell, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Those are the ones I'm always forgetting (Beatles and otherwise) because I'm not set up for it.:sigh:

Shaddam IV likes this.
  2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Actually, they did, for the Rock Band thing. "Run For Your Life" is really transformed into a George "Chet Atkins" guitar fest.
    But, inexplicably, the lead vocal for "Norwegian Wood" is still panned to only one side :realmad:

3. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I know, but don't play video games.

4. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

He did not use a "stereo-izer" plug-in. Instead, he used a vintage ADT machine that duplicated a mono source to both left and right speakers at slightly different speeds; similar to the practice applied on the stereo mix of "Revolver."

Shaddam IV, bek0727 and D.B. like this.
  5. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Spot on. Some of the obvious remix choices took their cue from the mono mix instead of the stereo, but it's NOT an obsessive re-creation of the mono mix in stereo. Even if Giles slaved over every instrument level, every effect & every vocal line to match the mono mix, a new stereo mix will be just that - New.. just because there's a stereo spectrum.

So he's accepted that, made a lot of decisions favouring the mono, but left room to embrace the newness. Fair call.

DK Pete and Shaddam IV like this.
  6. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I think if they had closely studied the balances of the bounce down elements it would have improved things tremendously. By basically reconstructing a mix based on each mixed bounce and creating sub-mixes that would lock them in to an extent, just as the production team were limited by the same difficulties at the time, the "feel" of the album could have been brought a lot closer to the original sound, except now there would be no tape generational loss and those bounces would now be in stereo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this approach was not taken by Giles Martin and Sam Okell, at least not according to anything I've read. Instead they just took all the newly synced up elements and mixed on from there, which naturally would change the sound to a degree.

In addition, I think there were false pretenses involved regarding why the mono mixes were punchier than the stereo mixes. A lot of it happened due to everything being in one channel, and down to the way it balanced the instruments during the mixing process. The compression used at the time was simply a standard tool that was used in the mixing and mastering process, whereas Martin and Okell seemed to think that's where the source of that punch was. Compression, when used lightly, can gently tighten up a mix and make it flow together all the more effectively. Unfortunately, even the non limited vinyl mastering of the 2017 Pepper remix, which also has far more natural sounding EQ than the digital versions, is still impacted by the overabundance of analog and digital compression used on the project.

Let's hope that whatever happens with The White Album sees much lighter compression this time around, but I do worry that they'll want it to sound "modern" = "reduced dynamic range".

7. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Well, different mixes will have different dynamic range levels.

FJFP and Shaddam IV like this.
  8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I vastly prefer the 2017 remix to any previous stereo mixed of Sgt Pepper's that I've heard. That being said, when I go to listen to the album 9 times out of 10 I reach for my mono copy.

Pancat, dbacon and Flippikat like this.
  9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The original stereo is a case study for Stockholm syndrome :)
    Mono remains the one. But who knows, Giles took a mulligan on Penny Lane 2015 and got it totally right with PL 2017. Hope springs eternal that wrongs can be righted, and that if we get a remixed White Album it won't be muscular and squished.

Lewisboogie, Shaddam IV and bvb1123 like this.
  10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Seriously the original mixes have sold about a hundred million copies each between CD/LP. The original mixes or the 87 re-mixes aren't going anywhere.

I hope they do re-mix more albums in 5.1. Hopefully though the next one is more of a 5.1 and less of a 3.1.

Tristero and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yeah, I know but it just never made any sense to me. Here is the opportunity to do an incredible, amazing, lush remix to take advantage of pre-reduced tracks and modern stereo mixing tastes yet the object was to make it like something we already had because a generation or more of listeners haven’t been educated to comprehend mono as a legitimate and often wonderful form for music. Plus, as you say, it was half-baked. They chose when to be inspired by the mono and when not to be.

Regandron likes this.
  12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

You're absolutely right, but nobody gets it. Good luck. I've been trying to explain the difference between the lousy compression Giles used in the mix, and people keep confusing it with brickwalling or mastering compression.

I have discussed this remix with other recording/mastering engineers and the first thing they all mentioned was the bad compression swells. But nobody on SHTV notices or cares. Oh well. To be expected I guess.

supermd, FJFP, Tommyboy and 3 others like this.
  13. Six Bachelors

No, it is a “direct transfer” not a remastering.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I think he should simply have remixed it afresh. We already had a mono and we already had a stereo. This was a chance to make a beautiful mix of a wonderful album but instead it is just a “powerful” mix that repeats idiosyncrasies of the existing mixes. I just don’t see the new stereo mix as wholly new. It is pretty much what we had, but narrowed and with a lot more compression and a lot less variation in volume. It’s not a reimagining of the album.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Regandron likes this.
  14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Well....

15. A well respected man

It's a new digital master, so technically it's a remastering. The direct transfer is just the choice of mastering.

Kermit27 likes this.
  16. Six Bachelors

If you call something "remastered" people will rightly assume that that means a mastering engineer performed a new mastering of the original mixdown and that that is what is presented. That is not what happened here.

Further likes this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Pepper 2017: A little of this a little of that.

18. Bob Y

Bob Y Well-Known Member

I don't think that album was recorded in stereo in the first place which is why they pan stuff left and right, it's fake stereo, (I could be wrong about that but that is usually the case with early Beatles stuff). I bought the 50th ann LP, played it a couple of times and will probably buy a mono LP, that's the way this stuff was meant to be listened to. I just bought the Stones mono box set and even the later 60's stuff that almost everyone had in stereo sounds way better in mono for ex. His Majesty's Satanic Request sounds unbelievable in mono, so does Let It Bleed, talk about background sounds popping out of nowhere, I assume the Beatles will be the same. Some of my best sounding records are old mono mixes. I have a couple or early Everly brother WB mono LP's that sound like they're right in the room.

19. A well respected man

Remastering just means that a new master has been created, be it direct transfer or not.

Anyway, the point was that the mono mix was included in the Deluxe box. There's no intention to replace the original.

20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It's somewhat baffling that a direct transfer of the 1967 stereo master was not also included in the massive "Super Deluxe Edition".

I suspect however, that it may have been very similar to the 1987 CD.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  21. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I agree and disagree with you. I like the remixes, though I believe they could have been mastered better for sure. If I had the option of them either existing or not existing, I would definitely rather have them.

The thing is the new remixes will eventually replace the albums on streaming services, so a lot of people who will be exposed to the Beatles will hear it through remixes only.

I don’t believe that is really a bad thing though because the only mixes available now are the original stereo, and I’m sure the remixes will be better than 99% of the original stereo mixes. I wish they would have the mono mixes though...

22. A well respected man

I don't see the need. It's been the default version for many years, both on vinyl and CD. It's available as an individual CD, while to have the mono mix you had to buy the mono box.

23. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I'll add Getting Better & Fixing A Hole, I thought they were the weak link on the album until I heard the 50th Ann, they rock.

24. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I first heard Sgt. Pepper Growing up in the 70's on 8 track and it mesmerized me it became my favorite Beatles Album and i bought the first CD release in the 80's the 2009 remaster and now the 50th Anniversary edition. this edition just blew my socks off i heard so much more then i ever heard previously. i can hear Ringo's drums! and backing vocals everything is so clear and up front it's like hearing a new Album. and to this day it's still my favorite Beatles album. I can't wait for the White Album remix my 2nd favorite Beatles Album.

25. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"I can't wait for the White Album remix my 2nd favorite Beatles Album.".....hopefully it won't be Giles at the helm this time otherwise it's gonna be horrifically LOUD again.

EricSwan, supermd and Chrome_Head like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.