The Pentangle - pure love & appreciation thread, album by album eventually

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

His LPs, certainly his latter three, are true masterpiecies. Penguin Eggs gets all the attention because it's the only one which one can actually reasoably purchase in 2022.

lemonade kid likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A bit easier to find in the USA perhaps. I bought them as they were coming out.

His guitar technique was wonderful, but his voice expressed deep soul.

lemonade kid likes this.
  3. Balcanquhal

The current prices on the used market are not representative of availablity decades ago, and I find it difficult to believe that Jones' records were easier to find in the U.S. than in the U.K.

Tribute likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe the CD editions (actually CDR) of "Ballads and Songs" and the self-titled "Nic Jones (1971) are actually more rare than the original LPs.

The Shanachie LP should be easier to find. It was probably pressed in greater quantities than any Nic Jones LP.

I broadcast the complete recordings of Nic Jones several times, probably once each decade from the 1980's through the early 2000's

Max Florian and lemonade kid like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In New England, the center of interest in folk music from the UK and Ireland in the USA, virtually every really good record store stocked all of those titles in the 1980's. A number of stores had Nic Jones section cards.

I recall many performers telling me that their records were easier to find in the USA than back home. Maybe not in the midwest or mountain states, but in the Northeast and the West Coast.

There were also mail order dealers all over the Northeast in the LP era that specialized in folk and traditional. They all carried them. Silo/Alcazar; Rounder; Front Hall; Shanachie; Dick Greenhuis; and others all carried obscure artists from the UK and sold them often. There were other mail-order dealers. Most of them were wiped out by either Amazon or by the transition to CDs. Some kept going in the CD era, but folk sales really fell when $5 LPs were replaced by $16 CDs

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Max Florian and lemonade kid like this.
  6. Balcanquhal

Yes, the C.M. Distribution CD-Rs of select Trailer titles (produced on-demand, and I believe for mail order and the Glasgow shop which C.M. Distribution had) are not easy to get hold of.

However, they are, as far as I know, dubbed from records. Most of them do not sound brilliant.

I have most of them, excepting the Ray Fisher one…

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

About 20 years ago, I believe I did some synchronized a/b comparisons of the LPs and the CDRs.

I don't recall the results. Usually, I remember if a CD edition is a serious decline, so my belief is that I found them to be similar.

The following is not directed at yourself, but I am sometimes surprised by the animosity of others in other threads at "needle-drops", when every time they listen to an LP, that is a "needle-drop"

lemonade kid likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

The closest artist that I have heard in 50 years that can compare to Pentangle, that fuses folk, jazz, rock, and country...
    brilliantly!

And like Danny Thompson, her uptight baas player is no slouch either.

Across The Canyon...have a listen...timeless!

9. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder Feeds on Lightning

My favorite Nic Jones album, Penguin Eggs notwithstanding.

Over on Facebook Colin Harper has just announced a program to include (initially) 2 batches of 30 digital release albums from the Translatlantic catalog that have never appeared on CD. I asked him if this included From the Devil to a Stranger and his reply was "Not in the first batch of 30. I don't have info on batch 2 (the mighty Laurence Aston has been guiding that aspect)."

lemonade kid likes this.
  10. Johnny Thunder

lemonade kid, Max Florian and KDubATX like this.
  11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

12. Balcanquhal

That is exciting indeed. If you have any more information, please share (I don't use Facebook)

lemonade kid likes this.
  13. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

14. Johnny Thunder

You might consider cancelling your order. I got mine from importcds.com for $33 plus, I think, $3 shipping. Still much cheaper than Amazon, and I believe they have it in stock.

lemonade kid likes this.
  15. Johnny Thunder

[​IMG]

lemonade kid and Max Florian like this.
  16. Johnny Thunder

17. Johnny Thunder

18. Johnny Thunder

19. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. $55 for a 6 disc set seemed reasonable to me so I never checked elsewhere. I just checked importcds and it's backordered. Same price at deepdiscount and popmarket but also backordered.

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

Of course I meant UPRIGHT bass player! Damn, I guess "spellcheck" can't tread my mind!

MoonPool likes this.
  21. lemonade kid

Some of my favorite albums in my iTunes library are "needle drops"!

22. lemonade kid

:love:

23. Fingerstyle guitar

Fingerstyle guitar Forum Resident

My thought exactly when I heard that record! Amazing stuff and all her earlier records are great too.

24. lemonade kid

Side two
    track 7) Red's Favourite

Fans of Bert & John unit here! Nice!

7. "Red's Favourite" 1:33
    8. "No Exit" 1:24
    9. "Along the Way" Renbourn 2:02
    10. "The Time Has Come" Anne Briggs 2:53
    11. "Stepping Stones" 2:42
    12. "After the Dance" 2:23

25. lemonade kid