The Perry Mason Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Those folks back then were certainly a dying breed.

fr in sc and ggergm like this.
  2. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Most boring show in TV history..but I might check out the new one with-Robert Downey Jr.-if anybody can breath life into that role he's the one.

3. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Eh, no. Some of the characters could be corny, but they had such character.
    Like others have said, there was a lot of class in those 50's & early 60's settings.
    Check out some of LA scenes, the city and buildings etc. I love looking at that stuff.

Robert Downey Jr as Mason? Hey that sounds good.
    Downey is cool and I always watch when the Sherlock movie is on, he's such a natural.

alchemy and Gumboo like this.
  4. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

I watched the show regularly when it was originally aired.
    Burr was perfect for the role and Hale was a delight.
    Now, I'll watch the show merely in hopes to catch an occasional exterior glimpse of what Hollywood (and California) looked like during the late fifties-early sixties.

As far as the actual PM character, I like peeking into the original paperbacks every now and then at the library or B&N.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks for the tip ! On my Watchlist now.

Raylinds likes this.
  6. Myke

I was born in 1958. I clearly remember our family doctor with a lit butt hanging from his lips, as he examined me as a child.
    When I saw that in Forrest Gump, I loved it ! :laugh:

Raylinds likes this.
  7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

People smoked in offices until well into the 1980s, and few people thought anything of it. I remember one summer office job I had in high school around 1980 or so; one of the older guys that worked there (in an open office area with several desks) actually smoked cheap, foul-smelling cigars.

Smoking in restaurants and bars persisted for much longer, with bars being just about the last domino to fall. Here in Houston, smoking in bars wasn't banned until 2007, as part of a law that forbade smoking in all enclosed workplaces. In many smaller towns and cities, similar laws have only taken hold within the past couple of years.

8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

New York City still has a few cigar bars where smoking is allowed- I know of two. The law is if at least half of the revenue is from the sale of tobacco, smoking is allowed.

9. Myke

Smoking changes didn't come to our State Government offices in Nashville, until 1994. It was ridiculous, as over the years, they first put us in a stairwell, then moved us to the parking garage on the ground floor ( 15 story bldg.), then moved us outside, then went through various boundaries, getting us further, and further away from the building.

10. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

MeTV aired the one and only color episode last night,
    the "Oliver Twist" episode. From the 9th and final season.

11. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I have always loved Perry Mason since I was a kid.
    I have equally enjoyed all of Raymond Burr's early rolls as the super heavy in all the
    wonderful film noir films that he was a part of when he started out.

If you're not aware of those, keep an eye on TCM they pop up regularly.

fr in sc and Gumboo like this.
  12. Myke

Just tried to watch the very first episode, but with all the freezing of the feed, and jerkiness, and out of synch going on, I guess I'll try later on tonight, when these problems usually don't exist.
    Amazon has to be the worst when it comes to streaming, at least in the daylight hours.

13. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Just watched one of the early episodes, 'The Case Of The Fan-Dancer's Horse' with the stunning Judy Tyler.
    Wowsers! What a knockout.
    [​IMG]
    More famously known as appearing along side Elvis as a leading role in 'Jailhouse Rock'.
    Tragically killed in a car crash very soon after.

TheNightfly1982 and fr in sc like this.
  14. Raylinds

Wow I have never had a problem streaming Amazon- even 4k content. Maybe because I have the Fire TV Box instead of Fire Stick (much more memory) and have it connected via ethernet cable and not wireless.

15. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Very sad; she, her new hubby and their cat and dog were killed in a car crash in Sept. '57; this episode premiered right after Christmas that year. She never got to see either of the two movies she made or this episode.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

She apparently impressed a lot of people that she worked with-- I think I remember reading somewhere that Elvis never watched the completed version of "Jailhouse Rock" because she was killed before it came out.

And of course, the folks from "Howdy Doody" never forgot Princess Summerfall Winterspring, either: she's represented in the final show by a lifesize cutout, which is moved with a wistfully sad glance (by Clarabell the Clown, if I remember correctly)...

- Kevin

Rick Bartlett and fr in sc like this.
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

How did I not see this thread before? I love Perry Mason, it's one of the few things I actually watch. Working my way through all the episodes bit by bit.

18. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

I've loved the original Perry Mason since discovering it back in the early 1990's while in high school. I usually watched during the summer when our local syndicated TV station would broadcast it every weekday morning. The first season seemed more of a private investigator crime drama than a legal procedural, which would change during the second season.

Ginger Ale and dharmabumstead like this.
  19. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

MeTV is great, and the only reason I bothered putting an HDTV antenna on the roof (YouTube TV doesn't carry it, unfortunately).

If you're lucky enough to get MeTV in your area, they air tons of classic old TV shows, including Perry Mason (every weeknight at 11:30pm Pacific time).

rockclassics and TheNightfly1982 like this.
  20. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

When my television is on, it's usually tuned into MeTV or Antenna TV. I gave up on network television long ago.

G E, rockclassics and dharmabumstead like this.
  21. Raylinds

I got my first office job in 1975 and smoked at my desk (I quit in 1980). My boss, who was a super nice guy chain smoked like crazy.

22. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Yep. For me it's comfort TV. Particularly the late-night schedule on weeknights (Perry Mason/Twilight Zone/Alfred Hitchcock/Mannix) and Sunday nights (Dick Van Dyke/Twilight Zone/Alfred Hitchcock).

I'm a 'cord cutter', and unfortunately none of the streaming services carry MeTV or AntennaTV, but I've been a Plex user since the beta days, and had a lot of fun* setting up an over-the-air HDTV feed** to use with Plex's really great DVR/live TV capabilities.
    ____

* Fun except for having to get up onto the roof to install and aim the antenna. The spouse insisted I purchase a roof harness system to do this, which was probably a wise idea, and at $130 still cheaper than the $700 a local installer wanted to come out and do the work.

** The setup: a roof-mounted HDTV antenna with a signal booster/LTE filter (I live in the sticks), feeding a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Quattro 4-channel network tuner, which works with its own client software on most platforms or with Plex.

TheNightfly1982 and rockclassics like this.
  23. softl

softl Well-Known Member

Got to bump this one. I watch Perry most mornings and late-night on MeTV. Like to see the stars in their early careers. Although not in her early career, this morning featured Bette Davis as a guest star. She played the attorney. For some reason, Raymond Burr only had a cameo role in this episode.

dharmabumstead and rockclassics like this.
  24. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I think he had surgery and there were a few episodes of "guest" attorneys. Regarding the smoking...It was not until season 6 episode two or three (can't remember) where a cigarette wasn't to be found during the episode. I have the dvd's (now on hard drive) and went this route due to several minutes of every episode being hacked when aired on commercial tv. Have read all the books, but have only seen a few of the made for tv movies.

Bern

25. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

There were about four with guest attorneys: Bette Davis, Walter Pidgeon, Hugh O’Brian and Michael Rennie. Burr had some kind of surgery for something never fully disclosed. Some say dental. Other say benign polyps from his intestine were removed. Others say they were cancerous and part of his intestine was removed. All Burr would say was he had a not serious physical problem preventing him from standing or moving comfortably

dharmabumstead and Bern like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.