The Phil Lesh thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Jun 6, 2019.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

On point.

The 50th A shows were a shoddy money grab, and Selvin comes off in all the reviews here as a practitioner of yellow journalism. Hard pass.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The shows with Jackie and Larry are some of my favorites, those two played guitar with each other exceptionally well and I think Jackie has the best vocals of anyone he has had in the band.

spinyn, Daedalus, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Some of the Ryan Adams shows are quite enjoyable to me as well. Ryan sure could nail some of those ballads...

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s one I never saw and I don’t think I’ve actually listen to an entire set with Ryan in the band. But yes, that guy can sing them pretty good.

5. US Blues

I saw Ryan with Phil at Red Rocks in 2005, a truly memorable evening. The show was not sold out so the vibe was mellow and the attendees were real Phil phans. The first set was solid, the second set kept going and going while getting better the longer it went on. After the long sequence with The Other One and Dark Star we found ourselves on the side of the mountain at 12:30 AM wondering what the band would do next. They closed the set with China > Rider > Uncle John's Band reprise (sung a cappella with a strong gospel tinge- utterly stunning).

07/16/05 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

Set 1: Spacey Jam> Cold Rain & Snow> Friend Of The Devil, *Easy Plateau> Spacey Jam> Bertha, Candyman, Scarlet Begonias> Fire On The Mountain

Set 2: Jam> Dark Star (v1)> Sugar Magnolia/SSDD, *Magnolia Mountain, Uncle John’s Band> Jam> *Life Is Beautiful, Terrapin Station> Dark Star (v2)> The Other One> Stella Blue, China Cat Sunflower> I Know You Rider> #Uncle John’s Band Reprise

E: Donor Rap/Intros, Wharf Rat

*1st time played (Ryan song), #a cappella

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I was looking forward to my first visit to Red Rocks and JRAD next weekend. But that didn't happen. There is always next year I guess.

I cancelled my seven weeks long US/Canada trip the other day. Not a good feeling. But I remember thinking in mid February that this is will be a possible no show.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  8. US Blues

I'm sorry you had to cancel. JRAD at the Rocks has been rescheduled for next June, please do everything you can to see them there.

DrLunchbox and budwhite like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Not the same... but my first ever trip to the Gorge (Phish) is off this summer. Just when you think you'll knock off some classic venues its not to be.

footlooseman and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

11. trd

trd Forum Resident

Phil is the guest the newest episode of Ross James “Songs that Saved Me Podcast,” available on iTunes, Spotify, stitcher etc.

US Blues likes this.
  12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I didn't win the Fender 1x12 speaker cabinet, but I didn't really expect to. I did have the high bid of $600 for 3 weeks though :wiggle:. It ended up going for $1920, far more than I was willing to pay. The 1966 Twin went for $22,400! The Ken Smith 6-string bass went for $108,800. There was a 2nd bass (Modulus I believe) that was listed early on but disappeared weeks ago.

Billy_Sunday, trd and US Blues like this.
  13. US Blues

Thanks for the report.

14. trd

trd Forum Resident

Lucked out and was able to get tickets to see Phil this afternoon at Terrapin. 274 days since my last Phil show! Only the second time I’ve seen live music since March 6. I would run out of superlatives if I tried to review the show, much less the experience. Rejuvenating.

Pride of Cucamonga
    Jack Straw
    Shakedown Street ->
    The Wheel
    Angel from Montgomery
    Cumberland Blues
    Ramble on Rose
    Ripple (Janes Addiction arrangement)

[​IMG]

15. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

wow, didn't know there were that many audience-attended live shows back in Calif. From the pix, i'm guessing this was outdoors, and I'm guessing a very-socially distanced and well-spaced crowd, i hope? Good to see a closer-to-81 year old then 80 (!) (if i did my math right?) phil up on stage, still, too.

saw many great phil and friends shows over the years....

Joti Cover and US Blues like this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

There’s really not very many at all. The Bay Area was the first in the country to lock down and we’ve been going slow.

Yes, outdoors. The setup was great, very safe. 44 two-top tables spaced out in an area that holds 600-800(?) ordinarily. Strict masking rules.

Everyone has to sit down at the end of the show and wait for Phil to leave. Even the musicians never touched each other - no high-fives or back slaps, masks on the entire time on stage.

17. US Blues

God Bless Phil!

18. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

This is really terrific to hear about, and see how good Phil looks. Thanks for posting!

US Blues, fluffskul and trd like this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

3/14/2022 for his 82nd at the Capital Theatre!!!

not giving up my 2 seats from 3/14/2020 unless they cancel it.

20. trd

trd Forum Resident

Made it to another set on Tuesday afternoon, gotta love it when other people cancel hours worth of afternoon meetings.

I was a little less psyched about this one as it was not a full band but rather three guitarists and Phil. It was actually a wonderful experience, very jammy and spacious musically. I wouldn’t want to see that every show but I enjoyed it. My seat was off to the side and I could see the “backstage” area. Jill was there, along with Phil’s other son, his wife and their son Levon. Levon is probably 5ish and he was busy playing the whole show. Phil turned around at one point, made a face at him, and then dropped a thundering rumbling chord which elicited a big laugh from Levon. It was all very sweet to see, particularly at the holidays.

The band was Grahame Lesh and Stu Allen, along with Dan “Lebo” Lebowitz from ALO who played some lap steel as well as guitar. Show ran almost 90 minutes, despite the chilly air that moved in post sunset. Like last week the canal had probably half a dozen kayaks, a couple of boats, about 20 people outside the gates and another 20 or so dancing from across the canal behind the stage.

Lady with a Fan>
    Terrapin Station
    Cassidy
    Dupree’s Diamond Blues
    Uncle John’s Band
    Sugar Magnolia
    Morning Dew

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  21. US Blues

God Bless grandpa Phil.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I love that guy

Dahabenzapple, trd and US Blues like this.
  23. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Really good to see that a show actually happened up there! I went to TxR for the first time, earlier this year... about 2 weeks before "lock down" so the virus was around but the whole thing hadn't quite blown up, stateside, yet....

FWIW, there is one venue in Santa Cruz that is also hosting live shows (Michael's On Main), and I've attended 2 events there in the last few months. It's a bar/restaurant with mostly outdoor tables/seating, so they are leveraging the food service aspect with socially-distanced tables. Sounds similar to what TxR is doing. They do host a variety of GD related bands (Santa Cruz has a LOT of GD inspired tribute bands....)

Anyway - nice to see that pic of Phil up there, doing what he does.

WaterLemon and trd like this.
  24. trd

trd Forum Resident

I know that place! I lived in the South Bay for 2 years so Santa Cruz was the closest place to go for anything hip. I like the guy who plays rhythm for the China Cats, he’s really talented and does the Bobby parts justice

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  25. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Any update on potentially rescheduling the 80th bday shows at the Capitol?