The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Sweet! My baby is now packed up in a box as I prep for my move to Colorado in less than a week.

2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Nice!!! Bet it sounds superb.

rocnred likes this.
  3. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

Pro-Ject X1 with a Sumiko Moonstone stylus. Below is my small collection of MMJ, Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, and Tone Poet records.

[​IMG]

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

A beautiful looking rig!

rocnred likes this.
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I really need to get my Miracord back into working order; I miss it. Just need to fix the muting function.

sberger likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The plinth is Woodsong, it's his latest revision to his 124 plinth. Excellent work as always (he restored the deck as well with his bearing design plus the audiosilente wheel and hanze hi fi springs). I'm using the Retrotone top platter as well, which in addition to being generally awesome adds the mass of the iron platter to the LOMC versatility of the aluminum platter, which I have. Now that I've spent some more time with it, I can easily say this definitely bests my 301 rig, but has also inspired me to look into a new plinth to get more out of the Garrard.

As for the EMT, I should start a new thread soon just to talk about it, but for brevity's sake, holy **** that's a good cartridge. It's perfect.

Dubmart and Jtycho like this.
  7. gov

gov Forum Resident

Very interesting to hear! I have the Hanze and AS wheel as well but mine's a mk1 with the OG sub-platter.

I have one of Chris' armboards but it's for SME which I don't use anymore--wonderful piece. if you want to try it sometime to get a sense of what's contributing to what between your 301 and the 124, I'd be happy to loan it to you. Just shoot me a PM.

I've also been waiting for Woodsong's mat adapter to come back in stock...i've got a regular old cork mat sitting on the stock mat now.

(must not read...must not read...must not read....must not read)

8. EggBreakfast

EggBreakfast Forum Resident

Tizio lamp! Had 4, sadly down to one now. Great style! Your turntable rocks too.

displayname likes this.
  9. Andrew_db

Andrew_db Forum Resident

Just picked up a barely working Kenwood KD-2055. I got the tonearm lift and auto-return working perfectly, dialed it to play at the correct speed, and put an AT13ea cartridge on it. Sounds pretty good to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite threads and nobody is posting anything as of late.

So here is my DIY arm/table. Motor/platter from a Technics SL6 linear tracker. This is plinth v3, using Sorbothane-like feet for vibration control.

Arm (also approx. v3 I guess) design is unique, it started as a fairly typical unipivot with a dropped counterweight. It has evolved into a neutral-balanced unipivot (so counterweight is moved up) using elastic bands for stabilization/damping (and yes, those elastic bands are actually pony tail holders, they're ideal because they're covered in a very slippery nylon material).

Currently using a Super OM30. These things are a bit of a contradiction, they don't handle test tracks all that well, but they play music wonderfully.

Lots of fun. Post your turntables, keep this thread alive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Newly KAB'd SL-1200M3D, serial dates it to 2002. Sent to directly to KAB for the upgrades, didn't want to risk messing it up myself.

It got the full treatment - external power supply, Delrin bearing base plate, Isonoe footers, fluid damper, strobe defeat, tonearm re-wire, and an Achromat. Pretty serious step up from my previous table, a totally stock SL-1300.

[​IMG]

12. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

The .15g is at the stylus itself. To achieve it, multiply by effective length and apply that force 1" back from the pivot.

Gorgeous table/arm.

13. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

That’s a serious 1200 now!!!

14. FalseMetal666

The goal is definitely to take it as far as it can go!

And the VM95ML you sold me sounds great on it. Thanks again!

15. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Glad to here it made the journey to you safely.

16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Very nice. Why is your queueing light down? I find mine essential and revealing dust.

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  17. FalseMetal666

The overhead lamp does a pretty good job at that, but I'll give the cuing light another try.

18. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I absolutely love those Kenwoods, such a nice looking plinth.

19. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Very nice, I wonder how this would compare to a stock SL-1200G with only a KAB tonearm damper added.

Aftermath likes this.
  20. FalseMetal666

I was very curious about the same thing. No way for me to do a head-to-head, sadly.

21. Eyke42

Eyke42 Well-Known Member

Here's my turntables, nothing esoteric, just basic late 70's stuff.
    Pioneer PL-550 I purchased in 1977 during my tour of the UK. I just fitted it with a Denon DL-100.
    [​IMG]
    I acquired this Technics SL-1700 from an acquaintance who works for an electronic recycling center. It has some AT cartridge that still sounds good. Best thing, it puts the arm away, unlike my Pioneer, great for general listening when we have company.
    [​IMG]
    The TASCAM in the background is for needledrops using the Pioneer.

22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Well, it took some time,. On and off with TT manufacture with long overseas shipping, missing parts, power down in metal shop in a middle of mount drilling due to thunderstorm, poor eyesight and Duputren's damaged hands, but I did it. Now I have 3 arms on my TT!
    You may ask why.. Why?
    It is just like Everest -because it there! Well, ability to mount 3 arms it is )). Now one for casual (but nice) listening and not so great recordings, one for attentive listening with the best cart and one for mono and experimenting...
    Behold... (sorry my phone camera not necessary Nikon)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Holy crap on a cracker! What a set up!

24. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

So which arm for which destination?

Old Zorki II likes this.
  25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Origin Live for casual (using Rogue RP-5 internal phono pre), Jelco TK-850L mk II for "the best" and TK-850S with VTA on the fly for mono and experimental carts (both with GoldNote PH-10 pre)